Thread: SCI Research Head to Meet with Obama

SCI Research Head to Meet with Obama

Monday, December 21, 2009
    SCI Research Head to Meet with Obama

Will Ambler, president of a local nonprofit organization devoted to spinal cord injury research, has been invited to speak with President Obama’s disability advisor, Kareem Dale, on Jan. 7 at the White House.

“The meeting is scheduled to last approximately one hour and is an exciting opportunity to get the needed recognition and funds for curing spinal cord injury,” Ambler said.

The focus of the meeting involves three topics: the national cost of spinal cord injuries, how Santa Ynez Valley-based SCI Research Advancement can help find solutions, and how the administration can help SCI do that.

In addition to the White House invitation, SCI has launched a fundraising campaign with a Hollywood connection.

With the help of NBC and the staff from the hit television show “The Office,” SCI Research Advancement is holding an Internet raffle. The winner will receive two round trip tickets to Hollywood to visit the set of “ the office,” meet star Steve Carell and the rest of the cast, and enjoy a two-night hotel stay, all for a $1 ticket.

At the White House meeting, a discussion of the cost of spinal cord injury is important and timely as it pertains to the current health care reform debate, Ambler said.

read...
    http://sci-news-blog.blogspot.com/20...ith-obama.html

I know I'll be interested in seeing how this turns out.
    No one ever became unsuccessful by helping others out

this is very cool, certainly can't hurt our cause.

I just hope it results in more than a feel-good conversation. Politics haven't proven very helpful to us yet.

Will is a member here, btw.

the focus should be on on how the 1 time cost of a cure is 1/20th the cost of year to year care tfor sci.

Could Dr. Young attend with him or perhaps get an audience at a later date? Just thinking out loud.
    Here's Hoping!

Quote Originally Posted by DougB View Post
    Could Dr. Young attend with him or perhaps get an audience at a later date? Just thinking out loud.
    My immediate thoughts as well.
    No one ever became unsuccessful by helping others out

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett View Post
    Will is a member here, btw.
    Way to go, Will! Good to see you still fighting the good fight.

"We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."
    - Barack Obama

I emailed Will re: this meeting. I'm assuming he won't mind me sharing this as his response was basically all numbers-based. Here's the gist:

hi Scott,

I will be happy to post when I get back. My intent will be to show how we can save the US over 140 billion dollars per year, not by making health care cuts to Medicare but by curing people. Start with SCI, the Miami project has SCI costing the US at 20 billion per year, NINDS has the cost of stroke at 60 billion and TBI at 60 billion repairing chronic damage to the central nervous system will save 140 billion dollars each year. I think the timing is very important with the health care debates and overhaul.

Money just need to be focused in the right direction, clinical trials for chronic injury.

Well that a small taste of what I am planning. I will let people know what came of the meeting when I get back.

Will

And please bring up that a good deal of that long term care cost is state based Medicaid and the states are going broke paying for our care.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.