Thread: Got results of MRI - not good

Got results of MRI - not good

Recently got results from 2nd MRI 9 months post injury. Sean was originally said to beT11 - T12 incomplete. They are now saying that he is is T11 complete. The damage is more extensive now than compared to original MRI - showing a complete lesion covering 1 vertabra.

The good news is that there appears to be some axons crossing the damaged area. I am a bit confused as I thought MRI were not detailed enough to show this.

[Quote]
    Originally Posted by Wise Young
    Leif,

I am concerned by repeated statements from people suggesting that they need to see something on their MRI's to justify or explain their spinal cord injury. While MRI's provide much information, they provide relatively low resolution image (±1 mm) that cannot show individual axons (1-5 microns) or even capillaries (7-10 microns). With contrast, they might be able to show a "blush" that can show increased vascularity. So, it is possible for a person to have loss of all axons traversing a given area of the spinal cord and for the MRI scan to show relatively little change in the acutely injured spinal cord.

[\quote]

This is grasping at straws but I am hoping if some axons are crossing the damaged area that it might mean that the environmental factor might be better for future regeneration.

I don't understand how they can say he is T11 complete, Sean voids himself and has some awareness of when this is happening. Also he can feel touching on the back of his legs and bum, but the consultant said not to worry about dermatones.

I don't know what to think?
    Last edited by soimumireland; 11-02-2006 at 09:14 AM.

Got Results of MRI - not good

can't delete this