Thread: Subacute Combined Degeneration of the Spinal Cord / B12

Cool Subacute Combined Degeneration of the Spinal Cord / B12

Can anyone help me please, I am not a full paraplegic, quadraplegic etc but I do have a significant mobility problem and at times it realy gets me down and I have been unable to find any one who has symptoms like mine, which makes it more difficult for my wife who is also my carer and myself to cope.

I realise that in comparison to the hurdles the majority of you have to face mines may seem minor in comparison.

Although I live in Australia, I was born and brought up in Scotland.

I was diagnosed with Subacute Combined Degeneration of the Spinal Cord when admitted to hospital in Oct 2004, this was caused by a severe B12 deficiency that was not picked up for about 10 yrs, cause unknown after a miriad of tests.

I was then put on Monthly injections of B12, this was then changed to fortnightly injections after consultation with my neurologist

As this condition progresses you can suffer from Spastic Paraplegia as I now am.

Questions

Do any of you have the following symptoms.

Getting int the car, Bottom on seat 1 leg in and 1 outside that just wont move for a period of time.

When you lie down at night time do you lose the ability to move your legs for a period of time

Do you have instances when even when you are out walking you stop and then cant move your legs for a period of time this also happens during my Physio time as well

Sitting down for say about 1/2 an hour and then when you try to get up your legs wont support you, infact at times I need 2 people to support me to get up.

I have already stuffed my right shouder through over use.

I am no longer allowed to drive and use an electric to scooter to get around localy, and I have a wheel chair that I use for going to the shopping centres etc.

I suppose my biggest fear is the pemanent loss of the ability to move my legs

There are also times when I can move niether my legs or arms and that is scary.

My Neurologist says that there is nothing else he can do to assist me

If you can help me in way it would be greatly appreciated.

I have moved this over to the non-traumatic SCI forum.

Is your physician a physiatrist? Have you seen one? Have you received any rehabilitation at a SCI Center?

Although I know that partial paralysis from B12 deficiency can occur, I have not personal experience working with clients with this problem. I hope Dr. Young can comment.

(KLD)

Thanks nurse, the condition I now know is called paraparesis or hemiparesis, for want of a better word paralysis.

My Rehab Doctor and my Neurologist have both said there is nothing more that can be done.

I would have been interested to hear what Dr Young thought, but I suppose his expertise is more in Paraplegia & Quadraplegia.

You know what really annoys me about this condition is that is not taken seriously by some people, it has all the effects and symptoms of MS but none of the back up.

And when you have to face something that is not normal about the condition ie paralysis, you face it on your own and with the ones you love.

My GP,s have never seen this condition as bad as this.

Sorry if my words show a bit of anger as that is not my intention, I suppose it is just my frustration at being the only one.