Page 1 of 48 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Critics Thread

Lightbulb Movie Critics Thread

Someone called my bluff while I was moaning about the "cultural dolts" of the CCC and challenged me to start this thread and leave it to anyone to put up a movie each week to be round-robin critequed by a self-appointed panel.

Here it is.

I'm nominating myself as moderator; anyone can second or put forward their own nominations...and awaiting the first movie to be critiqued. Once one has been started, I suggest an approximate week having a go at it, etc.
    Last edited by Juke_spin; 10-29-2006 at 04:46 PM.

wonder who called your bluff? i'm not one to watch the tube as this link depicts....

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showpos...97&postcount=7

but i will try one here and there...

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Alright, I'll bite.

Leon

Do you think this movie promotes pedophilia? Kind of pertinent to current events, huh? I don't but I'll expand my answer if/ after I hear some other opinions.

geez ck.. i watched this flick back when it came out. to my best recollection, i don't remember it being that way or atleast i didn't take it that way. it's hard to remember all the specifics tho. you said that you don't, so what's the tie to possible pedophilia?

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Smile The Professional

Quote Originally Posted by christopher
    Alright, I'll bite.

Leon

Do you think this movie promotes pedophilia? Kind of pertinent to current events, huh? I don't but I'll expand my answer if/ after I hear some other opinions.
    Thanks for the link ck, it affords me an opportunity to air a girpe about the IMDB's (Internet Movie Data Base - for all you dolts) photo gallery.

Granted, this is an aside, but a valid one and I'll explain why. Want to see a photo of Natalie Portman as she looked back when she made the movie; when she was twelve years old? Well you not going to see any such pics by searching the IMDB's photo gallery.

It seems that the IMDB gears the presentation of its photo gallery to casting agents, producers and directors. Never mind that the vast majority of internet surfers perusing their galleries have nothing to do with the motion picture industry or the creation of film.

In asnswer to the the pediphilia question: do you think the adult in the film, Leon (played by the then mostly unknown Jean Reno), develops any inappropriate (carnal) feelings for his young charge throughout the span of his interaction with her? Because, if not, where is the potential pedopheliac audience supposed to get a feeling of support for their fetishism?
    Last edited by Juke_spin; 10-30-2006 at 08:28 AM.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

ooo ooo! juke! i second you! i don't know tons of movies...but i know a decent amount.
    Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

Frank's blog:
    http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
    My regular blog:
    http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by cali
    ooo ooo! juke! i second you! i don't know tons of movies...but i know a decent amount.
    How about Léon aka The Professional; this current week's kick around movie? Could you be induced to watch it; it's well worth the time, Gary Oldman at his over-the-top best and the budding Natialie Portman supported by a solid Jean Reno in a very good psycho/action thriller?
    J.B.S.Haldane

Quote Originally Posted by Juke_spin
    How about Léon aka The Professional; this current week's kick around movie? Could you be induced to watch it; it's well worth the time, Gary Oldman at his over-the-top best and the budding Natialie Portman supported by a solid Jean Reno in a very good psycho/action thriller?
    i could definitely be induced, however, getting out to rent it is another matter in itself

but! i definitely could see clips on youtube.

may i suggest pulp fiction for next week?
    Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

Frank's blog:
    http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
    My regular blog:
    http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com

Yeah, I always thought the relationship between Leon and Mathilda was more a father/ daughter kind of relationship. She was just confused about her feelings, seeing as she never really had a father figure in her life previously.

IMDB doesn't have many photos at all dating back to 1995, especially for current actors. But if you do a google image search of 'Leon' the first pic is this:

Quote Originally Posted by cali
    i could definitely be induced, however, getting out to rent it is another matter in itself

but! i definitely could see clips on youtube.

may i suggest pulp fiction for next week?
    Not sure I can or should pass on this; even the idea of having a moderator for this thread seems kinds specious. Maybe a kind of Master of Ceremonies or Movie Show Host?

At any rate, being seconded isn't enough.

It's a little early, I think, for choosing another movie but I'll go with whatever the rest of whatever self appointed panel decides.

Are you telling us that a definite CCC super-gimp can't manage getting herself or someone out to a video store in the next five - six days? Where is it that you live again? The Yukon?
    J.B.S.Haldane