Thread: blocked catheter insertion

blocked catheter insertion

i don't know if the urinaru tract gets swollen or what but lately i've had difficulty inserting my catheter into my penis. anyone know why this might be?

Buckwheat

I've had the same problem. There is another thread on this (search for cath) that has helped me be patient and apply steady pressure when inserting the cath. I switched to the mentor coude tip with guide stripe and I am still having problems. I too would be interested to know if anyone else has the problem and hopefully a solution. It can take me up to 30 minutes to cath.

Mike

T12, Oct 2003

Buck and Mike, I think that it is important to find out the reasons why you are having trouble inserting the cathether. One common reason is that there is injury to the urethra (the tract leading from the penis to the bladder). Chronic and repeated damage can lead to the creation of scarring or even the formaton of false passages. If it is taking up to 30 minutes to insert a catheter, something is obviously not right. Wise.

I to have had difficulty in cathing in the last few weeks. I first noticed it after I stopped the phase III trials for 4AP I also had the back of my chair adjusted so that I sat straighter and thought that may have been the cause but ruled that out as I had just as hard of time while laying in bed. I mentioned it to the Doctor in charge of the 4AP study the next week and she said maybe my prostrate was enlarged and suggested the coude tip catheter as well. I went to local medical supply to get a couple to try but they did not have any go figure. I was able to get two from the rehab center I was at and they made it somewhat easier but I think it was due to the catheter being more rigid. Last week I started the open label study for 4AP and within in two days the ease of cathing was back. So it could have been bladder spasms I have no idea. I am 46 years old and had a baseline PSA test done two years ago and it was fine but I have heard that sitting in a chair can cause the prostrate to enlarge I don't know if this is true or not. I know at age 50 men should have a PSA test done every year. Seems like health issues just keep multiplying now with SCI as if I thought things were going to get easier.

Is this a first time for you? About every month or so it happens to me too and lasts amywhere from 1-3 caths up to 1-2 days. I am very gentle, very patient, and insert slowly during these times. I think it's just some minor irritation causing a bit of swelling in the eurethra.

Also...I have some small bottles of 2% lidocaine jelly that I use with the funnel cap that comes in the package of lidocaine. I infuse some lidocaine into the eurethra (squirt some down the penis hole) before cathing with the normal or a bit more lube on cath. This helps on the current insertion and the lidocaine seems to alleviate the irritation within a few cathings or at least by the next day...then things are back to normal. Hope this helps.

Kap

"It's not easy being green"

Buckwheat and all - I would agree with Dr. Young that problems such as you all are describing that persist for several days needs to be evaluated. Kaprikorn is correct that one should be gently with insertion of the catheter.

One needs to determine whether spasms are a problem, if the catheter lumen size needs to be decreased, if there is an actual obstruction in the urethra. CRF

thanks for the advice everyone

Kap - Thanks for the advice - was wondering where you got the lidocaine.

Also, I've discovered that if I cath sitting up (instead of laying down) it is much easier. I assume my bladder empties the same no matter what position I'm in.

T12, Oct 2003

Mike C - I don't know if you need a prescription for lidocaine jelly, but you may. Either ask your pharmacist or your physician, as this should be available at a pharmacy. Do you have a medical supply company that you use? You may check the urological supplies that they list. CRF

MikeC...the Lidocaine 2% jelly is prescription only but you're PCP or Urologist or Psysiatrist can give you a script for it. It works wonders on those "bad days".

Kap

"It's not easy being green"