Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: exist life after death?

Quote Originally Posted by adi chicago
    will you choose hell ,or heaven?
    Technically, everyone goes to "hell" (Sheol/Hades) since it is the realm of the dead or the grave.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Français
    Technically, everyone goes to "hell" (Sheol/Hades) since it is the realm of the dead or the grave.
    i red the bible too todd.i just dont know if in hell they allow beer and cigarets?just joking.we live already in hell.
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

I think I would like to subscribe to the idea put forward in Jose Philip Farmer's Riverworld books--everybody is reincarnated on a planet made up of one long river valley. They all come back to life somewhere along the river as their 25 year olds selves in perfect health. Technically, his design had a few flaws, but it sounds good to me.

(So that nobody thinks I am a complete nut--this was just a science fiction series I got hooked on a few years ago lol; but it's still a great "life after death" idea, I think)

In all seriousness, I was raised in a home with two religions that have completely different notions of what happens when you die. This caused me considerable confusion when I was young, but I stopped worrying about it at some point. Although I don't really want to, I can't help but believe that nothing happens when you die. Once you are gone, I presume you really are gone forever.
    Last edited by orangejello; 10-30-2006 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OJ
    I can't help but believe that nothing happens when you die. Once you are gone, I presume you really are gone forever.
    me too.. then the worms have something to chew on..

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Yeah

Quote Originally Posted by 2jazzyjeff
    me too.. then the worms have something to chew on..
    ...me too; although in Jeff's case it would/will be something to puke over; and over; and over...ad infinitum.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Wink

I don't think this should be in the Science Forum... perhaps the Advocacy Forum would be a better place....

Based on String Theory, there should be plenty of room in one or another of the other infinite "Parallel" Universes. Of course, if there are beings in those universes too, they might need somewhere to go too. If we're reincarnated (in any universe) and remember our prior lives, why do so few people actually make that claim (many of them are called "nuts"); and if we're reincarnated and don't remember (no brain = no memory) then it doesn't much matter. Recent experimentation has indicated that the deja vu and "out of body" feelings can be caused by electrical stimulation of brain areas so I don't believe that they are valid explanations. I also think that Heaven and Hell are inventions of organized religion. Therefore, we should just choose the religion that has an answer that we like, or that "we can live with" and go with that.
    Think about it - if we REALLY knew the answer, AND remembered, then would we keep taking our own lives until we came up with one that we liked? Like rolling the dice until you got the number you wanted....
    My opinions,
    Carl

check out this article. food for thought.

The studies are very significant in that we have a group of people with
    no brain function ... who have well-structured, lucid thought processes
    with reasoning and memory formation at a time when their brains are shown
    not to function,'' Sam Parnia, one of two doctors from Southampton General
    Hospital in England who have been studying so-called near-death
    experiences (NDEs), told Reuters in an interview.
    ``We need to do much larger-scale studies, but the possibility is
    certainly there'' to suggest that consciousness, or the soul, keeps
    thinking and reasoning even if a person's heart has stopped, he is not
    breathing and his brain activity is nil, Parnia said.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showpos...67&postcount=1
    Last edited by antiquity; 10-30-2006 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by adi chicago
    i red the bible too todd.i just dont know if in hell they allow beer and cigarets?just joking.we live already in hell.
    I just found your question very intriguing since I don't believe in heaven or hell as both are commonly thought of in Orthodox Christianity.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Français
    I just found your question very intriguing since I don't believe in heaven or hell as both are commonly thought of in Orthodox Christianity.
    are you orthodox todd?me too.
    the neuropathic pain just kills me sometimes.
    to be honest i belive in god.
    life on earth is controled by a super power.
    we call this super intelligence god.
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

No, I'm not Orthodox at all. I believe that all men are saved and will be reconciled to God. Yes, people will be righteously punished for their works but they will still be with God for eternity.

Most of the early church fathers taught this, particularly Origen. Augustine was the one most responsible for the doctrine of eternal torment in literal fire entering the church. It's very sad because it eventually became the dominant belief to scare people into submission.