Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 33

Thread: what is life?

  1. #11
    Senior Member rdf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Someplace between Nowhere and Goodbye
    Posts
    12,962
    Life is a crap shoot...some hit their lucky number, most don't. But it's the only game in town
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

    Thanks!

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by adi chicago
    why we were born and why we have to suffer and to die one day?
    why ask why?
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world...is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by adi chicago
    why we were born and why we have to suffer and to die one day?
    Do you also ask why blessings occur? Why people are happy and beautiful things exist?

    Life is a balance. All things must die so that life can survive.

    C.

  4. #14
    To me, life is the preface to eternity. We needed to exist in a world of good and evil to learn and really know what goodness is. We will carry this over into eternity with God, who showed us by example unconditional love by suffering and dying for us. The good news is that EVERYONE will be reconciled to God and will enjoy paradise for eternity. But we must endure the world first.


  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Placerville, CA
    Posts
    8,259
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Fran├žais
    To me, life is the preface to eternity. We needed to exist in a world of good and evil to learn and really know what goodness is. We will carry this over into eternity with God, who showed us by example unconditional love by suffering and dying for us. The good news is that EVERYONE will be reconciled to God and will enjoy paradise for eternity. But we must endure the world first.
    "Big Daddy" in a white robe in the sky. I've never been able to buy into that idea. A thorough understanding of evloution and all its implications dispells the notions and claims of religion and is much more satisfying as well.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Fran├žais
    We needed to exist in a world of good and evil to learn and really know what goodness is.
    I find this idea to be rather depressing. It amazes me how many people insist that they only really know how good they have it when shit goes wrong. Makes no sense to me. I don't need to eat gravel to appreciate how good chocolate is.

    C.

  7. #17
    Senior Member JCAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    COLTON, CA
    Posts
    666
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Racing
    I find this idea to be rather depressing. It amazes me how many people insist that they only really know how good they have it when shit goes wrong.Makes no sense to me. I don't need to eat gravel to appreciate how good chocolate is.

    C.
    Life, Love and even friendships are taken for granted everyday.
    How do we know, how grand our life is until something does goes wrong, or how special a lover is until he/she walks out that door.
    WE DONT

    How can one appreciate chocolate if they have never taste it before?
    J

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by JCAT
    Life, Love and even friendships are taken for granted everyday.
    Which is sad.

    How do we know, how grand our life is until something does goes wrong, or how special a lover is until he/she walks out that door.
    WE DONT
    Maybe you don't. Maybe many or even most people don't, but some of us DO know how good we have it before it all goes to Hel. For instance, I was quite happy before my accident. (Well, other than the clinical depression!) I didn't need to crash a motorcycle and break my back to realize how good my life was before that happened. I KNEW how lucky I was. Good family, good friends, a direction in life, my horses and books, cool cars to drive, no financial worries and a great body... I had it real good.

    How can one appreciate chocolate if they have never taste it before?
    But once you taste chocolate do you then have to chew on gravel to appreciate how good the chocolate was?

    C.

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Juke_spin
    "Big Daddy" in a white robe in the sky. I've never been able to buy into that idea. A thorough understanding of evloution and all its implications dispells the notions and claims of religion and is much more satisfying as well.
    People think differently I suppose. It's harder for me to believe it all happened by chance rather than a Creator setting the order.


  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Racing
    I find this idea to be rather depressing. It amazes me how many people insist that they only really know how good they have it when shit goes wrong. Makes no sense to me. I don't need to eat gravel to appreciate how good chocolate is.

    C.
    It makes perfect sense to me. If we lived in a world of perfection, we wouldn't know imperfection. If we saw in black and white, we wouldn't know color. It was the tree of the knowledge of "good AND evil" that made us know the difference. I'm not saying that biblical story is literal but it illustrates our origin, if you believe in it.

    Your taste analogy is flawed because if you didn't have taste, you wouldn't know the difference between gravel or chocolate other than its texture. Thus because you do, you can sense the difference.


Similar Threads

  1. True grit: Utahn hasn't let crash and pain ruin life
    By Leo in forum Ability & Disability News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-21-2003, 04:49 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-26-2003, 01:18 PM
  3. The Life (& Death?) of Cloning
    By Max in forum Cure
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-26-2002, 05:47 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-25-2002, 02:33 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •