Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: "HELP Michael J. Fox",......mocking the disabled is cruel, public should be outraged!

Todd , I wouldn't waste to much energy refuting Jim Kelly [ who is a member of CC] . He gets some type of ego kick out of being used by the anti ESCR crowd as a poster boy for their cause . Somewhere on here , back in his rants against ESCs , there is an admission , ''That IF ESCR produces a ''cure'' he will not hesitate to receive it'' . I do admit , I really do shake my head in wonder when Jim makes blanket statements like this ,
    Four years ago Australian scientists blasted the notion that stem cells could treat or cure Alzheimer’s disease, explaining that it’s a “whole brain disease.” Peter Rathjen, head of Molecular Bio-sciences at the University of Adelaide, told the Australian, “It's bloody nonsense that stem cells might be able to cure Alzheimer's. We don't even know what causes it.” Other prominent Australian experts agreed, calling the hype “a bloody joke” and “outlandish”.
    . Makes it sound like that is the majority opinion of Australian scientists . That's a bit like Jimbo trying to put over the impression that all SCIs are like him , anti ESCR [until it provides a cure] . I also find it a bit strange , that ole Jimbo , who lives in the US and hobnobs with the likes of Sen. Brownback and David Prentice , had to refer to a comment from an Adelaide Uni staffmember to support his agenda . How many Americans have ever heard of Adelaide , let alone could say where it is and give a bit of background on the city . He is really grasping at straws now .

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Français
    I disagree with Mr. Kelly. You'll never know the full potential of the stem cells if you don't do research. Even if some things turn out to be false, others will turn out to be true.
    Every day I wake up is a good one .

Faking, isn't that a joke. Michael J. Fox is one of the most honest people in Hollywood. It's apparent that his disability will worsen as he gets older.

It's like saying we are faking spasms because we didn't take our medicine. Even worse, he tried to humiliate him but Michael is to compassionate and way to smart to get one over on him. Truth always prevails.

I remember how hard it is for a lot of people to prove their disability. Look at it this way, now that it is all over the TV there is a lot more exposer to his cause.
    Mary
    I want to Rock you Gypsy soul and together we will flow into the Mystic.
    Van Morrison

Right, this James P. Kelly weirdo cares nada about cures, his mission is to ban ESCR.

Quote Originally Posted by Leif
    Right, this James P. Kelly weirdo cares nada about cures, his mission is to ban ESCR.
    Actually Leif , Jimbo cares very much about about a cure . One of his routine soapbox topics used to be that some researchers [no prizes for guessing one name] know what the cure is , but they shelved further work on it , thereby deriving him of the opportunity to dance and have sex again . He considered this a personal affront aimed directly at him .

For me , trying to understand Jim's reasoning on avenues of research , is like trying to understand the relationship between clothes and a washing machine . Why of all garments do washing machine only like to eat single socks ?
    Every day I wake up is a good one .

Limbaugh would sing different tune if he had Parkinson’s

Limbaugh would sing different tune if he had Parkinson’s
    Robbyn G. Hill, Carpendale, W.Va.
    The recent public bashing of Michael J. Fox by extremist Rush Limbaugh has stirred up the debate of stem cell research. In recent news, Rush Limbaugh has been quoted as saying that while filming a political ad in favor of stem cell research, Michael J. Fox, who suffers from Parkinson’s disease, went off of his medication and even acted to gain political support. In a rebuttal, Fox denied the accusations and stated that he actually was over-medicated during the taping of the commercial. Fox also explained that the jerking motions that go along with Parkinson’s are not easily predicted and that in some cases other circumstances can be attributed to the symptoms of uncontrollable movements.

Even though Fox did not go off his medicine for the taping, I say, “So what!” Even if he did not take his regimen of medicine, he displayed the symptoms of Parkinson’s. This is who he is. These are the symptoms that he and many others deal with day in and day out. I am sure that his recent ad was hard for extremists such as Limbaugh to watch because these people are sitting back and not doing anything. Furthermore, they are against the people who are trying to do something.

The debate over stem cell research, which could possibly contribute to cures of many conditions such as Parkinson’s and spinal cord injury, is being tied into issues such as abortion and cloning. The comparison between these issues begins when methods of how to go about stem cell research are discussed. Scientists would like to extract a single stem cell from a viable embryo. This opens a can of worms for people who believe that life begins at conception. Maybe it does. I am not sure, but when I compare the life of a frozen embryo, in a test tube, not living or breathing and not able to grow without the assistance of humans, to a young man such as Fox who is living, breathing, working, raising a family and surrounded by loved ones, I have to choose the life of the latter as the most important.

http://www.times-news.com/opinion/lo...secondarystory