Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "HELP Michael J. Fox",......mocking the disabled is cruel, public should be outraged!

Help Michael J. Fox in Maryland TOMORROW!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by alan
    Maryland Republican Senate candidate Michael Steele is now "using" his sister, who has MS, in a deceptive commercial that says he supports stem cell research. It doesn't say that he is against embryonic stem cell research, which he is.
    Michael J Fox needs our help in Maryland TOMORROW!!!

If you know anyone in Bethesda, Maryland ...

Ben Cardin, Maryland Democrat for Congress, running against Republican Michael Steele (remember the Meet the Press debate?) is holding a stem cell rally TOMORROW, THIS THURSDAY,
    Nov. 2, at 2 pm at the Holiday Inn in Bethesda, Maryland.

There is a flyer attached to this email ... We are hoping for a large crowd, so anything you can do to ask people to come out would be greatly appreciated.

The Holiday Inn Bethesda is about two blocks north of the nearby Friendship Heights Metro Station (across the street from Saks FIfth Avenue). Thank you!

"There’s far too much unthinking respect given to authority,” Molly Ivins explained; “What you need is sustained outrage.”
    Kerr, Keirstead, McDonald, Stice and Jun Yan courageously work on ESCR to Cure SCI.

Divisiveness comes from not following Christopher Reeve's ESCR lead.
    Young does ASCR.
    [I]I do not tear down CRPA, I ONLY make peopl

Smile Michael J Fox on Anderson Cooper 360 at 10 PM on CNN Tonite!

Watch a special by Anderson Cooper on Michael J. Fox, TONITE at 10 PM on CNN!!!

"There’s far too much unthinking respect given to authority,” Molly Ivins explained; “What you need is sustained outrage.”
    Kerr, Keirstead, McDonald, Stice and Jun Yan courageously work on ESCR to Cure SCI.

Young does ASCR.

I was asked if I would ever "exploit" my daughter for the gain of stem cell research. My response was I dont feel that it would be exploiting when I want the world to know what it is that I want everyone to understand. Seeing with your own eyes is more effective then words. The problem with Rush is, and those who criticize MJF is they dont care to know or understand what people go through. They want to live in their "perfect" little world, blind to it all.
    I have a question and hope someone can answer it. If adult stem cells can do the same thing that embryonic can, so the republicans claim, then why isnt there a "cure" by now? Do they honestly think that we are refusing it that way because we want to complicate things more. I ask because I keep hearing from those against embryonic that adult stem cells will work. Well, if it works like they says it does than why isnt it working now for us. Show me, because if it is a fact then what the hell am I doing to my daughter by letting her sit in a wheelchair missing out on her childhood. She should be up running around by now then.

Stay safe my son. See you around thanksgiving!

Quote Originally Posted by Robynbird569
    I have a question and hope someone can answer it. If adult stem cells can do the same thing that embryonic can, so the republicans claim, then why isnt there a "cure" by now?
    That question is illogical. You could just as easily ask why there isn't a cure based on embryonic stem cell research. It's not like there is no research being done around the world. So why aren't you wondering whether that is legitimate since we do not have a cure today?

The POTENTIAL benefits are many. You can't discount the possibility of a cure based on the lack of one today.

Show me
    I'm not saying that adult stem cells are the same as embryonic stem cells, I just want to point out that evidence and proof are not the same, but it's wrong to dismiss the former just because it is not the latter. One leads to the other. Or not. As the case may be.

C.

Quote Originally Posted by Robynbird569
    If adult stem cells can do the same thing that embryonic can, so the republicans claim, then why isnt there a "cure" by now?
    Good question......I used that rhetorical question myself during my speech in Miami.

30 years of fully funded ASC research have taken place, yet hESC's were derived just 8 years ago with very lackluster funding since then because of the severe federal restrictions on it's funding........yet we STILL do not have a cure for paralysis from ASC's. We have yet to get started in earnest on the ESCR funding, so we simply don't know what is possible, but some accounts are definitely promising:
    Novocell's pancreatic cells

Anyway we can all help by signing this petition:
    Tell the Religious Right that America Supports Stem Cell Research!

Young does ASCR.

Thumbs up Michael's Success: Stem Cell Research Most Popular Search on AOL!!!!

U.S. SENATE RACES

A Star Says He Finds Validation In Public Interest on Stem Cells

By Katherine Shaver
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Friday, November 3, 2006; Page B04

He has been called a faker by conservative commentator Rush Limbaugh, and he withstands the gazes of hundreds of people as his lips tremble, a hand shakes or a foot jerks in a wild spasm.

But when Michael J. Fox recently discovered that "stem cells" is one of the most frequently searched terms on the Internet, he said he knew entering the political fray was worth it.

"My immediate goal in this time when there's a lot of garbage flying around is to actually have a real conversation about embryonic stem cells," the actor said yesterday during a 10-minute interview before a political rally at a Holiday Inn in Chevy Chase. "To turn on my computer in the morning and see on AOL that 'stem cells' is the second-most-popular search, it's just -- wow -- that's all I could have hoped for."

Buy This Photo

Michael J. Fox campaigned for Senate hopefuls Benjamin L. Cardin, right, in Chevy Chase and James Webb in Arlington. (By Michael Williamson -- The Washington Post)

'Michael J. Fox Stumps for Cardin','yes','/video/2006/11/02/VI2006110201339.html','News Channel 8/WJLA-TV 7')

Post Survey

This Washington Post poll was conducted by telephone October 22-26, 2006 among 1,003 randomly selected Maryland adults who reported they were currently registered to vote and absolutely certain to vote in the November 2006 election.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...110201591.html
    Last edited by Faye; 11-04-2006 at 01:18 PM.

Young does ASCR.

Thumbs up "THANK YOU", Michael!!!

Both Claire McCaskill and The Missouri Amendment to Protect Embryonic Stem Cell Research win in Missouri!!!

Welcome on board Senator McCaskill!!!
    Last edited by Faye; 11-08-2006 at 09:40 AM.

Young does ASCR.

Talking Michael J. Fox Offers Hype Over Hope

Michael J. Fox Offers Hype Over Hope
    by James P. Kelly
    Posted Oct 31, 2006
    In America it’s considered “politically incorrect” to speak indelicately of the disabled, hence the recent liberal outcry over Rush Limbaugh’s frank thoughts concerning political advertisements by actor Michael J. Fox. Like Mr. Fox, I too suffer spasms and twitches—from spinal cord injury rather than Parkinson’s disease. Like Mr. Fox my future depends on science. Like Mr. Limbaugh I am not politically correct.

As far as I’m concerned, Mr. Fox can do the Rumba to promote his social and political opinions. But the Fox advertisements go beyond worldviews. The embryonic stem cell hype that Fox presents as hope stands to affect the course of American politics, and with it the course of publicly funded science and the fates of countless human lives.

While praising Benjamin L. Cardin, Maryland’s Democratic candidate for the U.S. Senate, Fox proclaimed, “Stem cell research offers hope to millions of Americans with diseases like Diabetes, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's.”

Four years ago Australian scientists blasted the notion that stem cells could treat or cure Alzheimer’s disease, explaining that it’s a “whole brain disease.” Peter Rathjen, head of Molecular Bio-sciences at the University of Adelaide, told the Australian, “It's bloody nonsense that stem cells might be able to cure Alzheimer's. We don't even know what causes it.” Other prominent Australian experts agreed, calling the hype “a bloody joke” and “outlandish”.

Two years ago, Michael Shelanski, co-director of an Alzheimer's Institute at Columbia University’s Medical Center, told Rick Weis of the Washington Post, “I think the chance of doing repairs to Alzheimer's brains by putting in stem cells is small.” Embryonic stem cell researcher Ron McKay of the National Institutes of Health likened the “story line” that stem cells offer hope for Alzheimer’s to telling “fairy tales.”

Michael J. Fox either doesn’t read the Post, or he forgot these reports and his advisers failed to remind him, or he likes to tell fairy tales and jokes concerning fatal diseases and crippling conditions.

Make no mistake, by “stem cell research” Fox refers to embryonic stem cells, since his preferred candidates in several states all support public funding of embryonic stem cell research without ethical or financial restrictions. Candidates opposed by Fox fully support adult stem cell and cord blood research, but keep their embryonic stem cell support within moral and ethical limits.

Before the upcoming elections, it’s crucial that American voters understand the nature of the ‘hope’ that Michael J. Fox is selling.

Square Pegs in Round Holes

Experts acknowledge that embryonic stem (ES) cells are unsafe for direct medical uses. In general their problems arise from a basic cause—ES cells are designed to function in embryos, not in adult (postnatal) tissues. Their genetic programming doesn’t work in adults; nor can they properly sense or respond to local signals in adult tissues. But since they’re programmed to grow, if they’re not rejected ES cells can grow out of control into clumps of random cells. These non-cancerous, but often fatal tumors are called teratomas.

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=17770

I disagree with Mr. Kelly. You'll never know the full potential of the stem cells if you don't do research. Even if some things turn out to be false, others will turn out to be true.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Français
    I disagree with Mr. Kelly. You'll never know the full potential of the stem cells if you don't do research. Even if some things turn out to be false, others will turn out to be true.
    Nobody can be certain anything is hype.

Before we were able to do anything.......the possibility of doing so might have been considered hype too.

Examples abound:
    heart transplants
    eradication of polio
    flying to the moon
    etc.
    even the inventor of anti-biotics was ridiculed at first......

If the scientific consensus is there, that ESCR holds enormous potential, then it makes no sense to ban federal funding.

Young does ASCR.