Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New surgical approach for late complications from spinal cord injury

New surgical approach for late complications from spinal cord injury

Keep for future reference.

ABSTRACT: BACKGROUND: The most frequent late complications in spinal cord injury result from arachnoiditis and consequent alterations in dynamics of cerebrospinal fluid flow. A surgical procedure carried out on patients with these alterations, resolved the various pathologies more efficiently in all cases. METHODS: From October 2000 to March 2006, 23 patients were selected for surgery: three showed signs of syringomyelia, three presented with microcystic lesions, three presented with arachnoid cysts in different locations but always confluent to the scar area, and 14 showed evidence of tethered cords. The surgery consisted of laminectomy at four levels, followed by dural opening in order to remove all the arachnoiditis at the level of the scar and to remove the altered arachnoid and its cysts, at least at two levels above and below the lesion. The dentate ligaments were cut at all exposed levels. RESULTS: The patients had no postoperative problems and not only retained all neurological functions but also showed neurological recovery. According to the motor and sensory scale of the American Spinal Injury Association, the recoveries were motor 20.6% (P <0.001), touch 15.6% ((P <0.001) and pinprick 14.4% (P <0.001). These patients showed no signs of relapse at 4-66 month follow-up. CONCLUSIONS: This alternative surgery resolved the pathologies provoking neurological deterioration by releasing the complete spinal cord at the level of the scar and the levels above and below it. It thus avoids myelotomies and the use of shunts and stents, which have a high long-term failure rate and consequent relapses. Nevertheless, this surgical procedure allows patients the chance to opt for any further treatment that may evolve in the future.
    PMID: 17059598 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

Here is the full abstract, authors, and URL address
    [*] Reis AJ (2006). New surgical approach for late complications from spinal cord inju. BMC Surg 6: 12. ABSTRACT: BACKGROUND: The most frequent late complications in spinal cord injury result from arachnoiditis and consequent alterations in dynamics of cerebrospinal fluid flow. A surgical procedure carried out on patients with these alterations, resolved the various pathologies more efficiently in all cases. METHODS: From October 2000 to March 2006, 23 patients were selected for surgery: three showed signs of syringomyelia, three presented with microcystic lesions, three presented with arachnoid cysts in different locations but always confluent to the scar area, and 14 showed evidence of tethered cords. The surgery consisted of laminectomy at four levels, followed by dural opening in order to remove all the arachnoiditis at the level of the scar and to remove the altered arachnoid and its cysts, at least at two levels above and below the lesion. The dentate ligaments were cut at all exposed levels. RESULTS: The patients had no postoperative problems and not only retained all neurological functions but also showed neurological recovery. According to the motor and sensory scale of the American Spinal Injury Association, the recoveries were motor 20.6% (P <0.001), touch 15.6% ((P <0.001) and pinprick 14.4% (P <0.001). These patients showed no signs of relapse at 4-66 month follow-up. CONCLUSIONS: This alternative surgery resolved the pathologies provoking neurological deterioration by releasing the complete spinal cord at the level of the scar and the levels above and below it. It thus avoids myelotomies and the use of shunts and stents, which have a high long-term failure rate and consequent relapses. Nevertheless, this surgical procedure allows patients the chance to opt for any further treatment that may evolve in the future. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q..._uids=17059598

Another hope

Hello

You must see this article " New approach for late complications from spinal cord injury" by Dr Antonio Reis
    http://www.biomedcentral.com/content...-2482-6-12.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Nina-1964
    Hello

You must see this article " New approach for late complications from spinal cord injury" by Dr Antonio Reis
    http://www.biomedcentral.com/content...-2482-6-12.pdf
    Nina-1964, I merged the topics together, since they are of the same paper. Thank you for posting the full article. Wise.

Smile New hope

I have a car accident in July 2003, in cause of this a lesion C6 C7.
    3 weeks ago i performed this new surgery with Dr. Reis. The results are amazing, and very good. My movements in arms and hands are increase 30%. The sensations in all body is better day after day.
    This surgery open a new hope in my life, i have 46 years old and i refuse loose my faith in shearch a cure.

Dr. Young, Would a cyst also be considered a syrinx?
    Thank you, Mary
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It’s not." ~ Dr. Suess

Cool Pictures!

The pictures of surgery in the .pdf are so cool! I have never seen the spinal cord and always wondered what it looks like. I always thought it was liquid inside the dura!
    You can clearly see a little bit of the cord is damaged.

Quote Originally Posted by MHemenway
    Dr. Young, Would a cyst also be considered a syrinx?
    Thank you, Mary
    Mary,

A syringomyelic cyst (syrinx) is an expansion of the spinal canal which is situated in the middle of the spinal cord. A syrinx is located inside the spinal cord, should have a membrane surrounding, and often extends longitudinally up and down the spinal cord. Therefore, the syrinx is also inside the spinal cord.

There are other kinds of cyts. These include a epidural cyst which is a cyst on the outside of the dura, an arachnoid cyst which is a cyst of the arachnoid membranes located just inside the dura.

Wise.

I wish there was a place to get rid of my tethering & they could add some ESC or something.
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

Smile

Dr WISE
    Whatis this: "medullar hyperintensity" and "medullar expansion"?
    Is this "medullar repair"?
    (Sorry my english)