Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 61

Thread: Murderball

  1. #21
    i enjoyed the movie and the fact that it showed that some quads can still play organized sports.. after the screening Mark Zupan was there for a Q and A. what a terrible speaker he is.. being a graduate of Georgia Tech, you'd think that he could get thru his answers w/o so much profanity. after seeing the guys on Larry King and other things, i really lost interest in them.





    Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

    If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by orangejello
    I am wondering: is this need of yours to put down and disparage anybody who doesn't fit into your deluded view of "the super quad" something pathological? Or is it just plain old fashioned rudeness?

    Just a question from somebody who "can't do anything"....
    NOT PUTTING ANYONE DOWN, JUST THINKING OUTSIDE THE BOX. AGAIN JUST MY OPINION.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps
    NOT PUTTING ANYONE DOWN, JUST THINKING OUTSIDE THE BOX. AGAIN JUST MY OPINION.
    But it's your opinion about what? Humour me for a moment here and please explain what "can't do anything" entails? Because I don't understand that part of your "opinion." What do you think a person should be able to do that would make their life "important" or "interesting" in your eyes?

    I am actually very interested in hearing what you can offer in response. What's the most important part of a person--their body or their mind? Is it better to be able to wipe up your own feces than to get a graduate degree? The types of quads you are sterotyping can do one, but not the other. Is that "not being able to do anything?"

    Just one example. I am sure you will refute this and any others I could offer you.
    Last edited by orangejello; 10-26-2006 at 03:21 PM.

  4. #24
    Senior Member Jeff B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,402
    If you can't flop yourself into a wheelchair like a sack of meat and run your wheelchair into other wheelchairs hard then you are boring.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by orangejello
    But it's your opinion about what? Humour me for a moment here and please explain what "can't do anything" entails? Because I don't understand that part of your "opinion." What do you think a person should be able to do that would make their life "important" or "interesting" in your eyes?

    I am actually very interested in hearing what you can offer in response. What's the most important part of a person--their body or their mind? Is it better to be able to wipe up your own feces than to get a graduate degree? The types of quads you are sterotyping can do one, but not the other. Is that "not being able to do anything?"

    Just one example. I am sure you will refute this and any others I could offer you.
    MY POINT. THE MURDERBALL GUYS AND GUYS LIKE THEM ARE MORE INSPIRING TO MAINSTREAM SOCIETY. U CERTAINLY CANT ARGUE THAT.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps
    MY POINT. THE MURDERBALL GUYS AND GUYS LIKE THEM ARE MORE INSPIRING TO MAINSTREAM SOCIETY. U CERTAINLY CANT ARGUE THAT.
    I see you didn't answer my question lol. That's okay. That was what I expected from you.

    But for the record I didn't ask you who was more inspiring. I asked you what "can't do anything" means.

    Actually I would argue with your above assertion. The people I saw the film with (one C six quad and three able bodied people) certainly didn't seem all that inspired by it. I wasn't all that inspired by it then and I am still not inspired by it. Some people were, and that is great. How many able bodied viewers would say they were truly inspired by it, I don't know. And I am guessing you don't either. We could both speculate and generalize, but that is all.

    It's great that people like Zupan do what they do. All the power to them. But as somebody else already pointed out, there are many more ways of being inspirational than being able to throw around a velcro ball and bash your chair into somebody else (I am guessing I will take flack for this statement, but oh well). I am not putting down quad rugby players or fans. You can certainly argue that quad rugby is a way to achieve goals, collect experiences, and inspire others. It is one way. But it's not the only way and it's in the eye of the beholder whether or not it is the best way. For Mark Zupan it might be. For others, quad rugby means nothing. I am guessing for a large portion of the able bodied population, it actually does mean nothing in their universe. And so what?

    I am much more inspired by people like trainman and Brooke Ellison than I am by the people profiled in murder ball. And I would venture that asked the question, many able bodied people would find finishing college degrees and devoting yourself to helping others--as both these individuals have done--as much more inspirational than playing quad rugby, even if it is played at a world class level.

    (Sorry J. for dragging you into this.)
    Last edited by orangejello; 10-26-2006 at 04:18 PM.

  7. #27
    I expect that the basis for much of the above discussion lies in the diversity of the SCI population. It covers the gamut, from those who go to a demolition derby to those who would rather go to the ballet; workouts at the gym to writing a Ph.D. thesis; gold medals to Nobel prizes.
    No-one is spared, dammit, but take your inspiration from wherever you can get it.
    - Richard

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by 2jazzyjeff
    i enjoyed the movie and the fact that it showed that some quads can still play organized sports.. after the screening Mark Zupan was there for a Q and A. what a terrible speaker he is.. being a graduate of Georgia Tech, you'd think that he could get thru his answers w/o so much profanity. after seeing the guys on Larry King and other things, i really lost interest in them.
    I agree, he sounds like an idiot.

    I met Andy Cones and Scott Hogsett in Phoenix and they acted like
    they didn't want to be there.

    Good movie though.

  9. #29
    no what orangejello is saying is..SCI c4 and with no ability to move can do things still..either way she could still not use her brains or movement, shes beautiful..she can just go off and win beauty contest

    Quote Originally Posted by rfbdorf
    I expect that the basis for much of the above discussion lies in the diversity of the SCI population. It covers the gamut, from those who go to a demolition derby to those who would rather go to the ballet; workouts at the gym to writing a Ph.D. thesis; gold medals to Nobel prizes.
    No-one is spared, dammit, but take your inspiration from wherever you can get it.
    - Richard

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by orangejello
    I am much more inspired by people like trainman and Brooke Ellison than I am by the people profiled in murder ball. And I would venture that asked the question, many able bodied people would find finishing college degrees and devoting yourself to helping others--as both these individuals have done--as much more inspirational than playing quad rugby, even if it is played at a world class level.

    (Sorry J. for dragging you into this.)

    I hear you. People like Brooke Ellison and Jesse Bilar (sic) should be applauded for their bravery, perseverance and compassion. they both have continue to further awareness of the injury in a positive light and spotlight and raise funds for potential restorative therapies.

    So what if a few guys can throw ball back and forth -- regardless of disability or whatever -- but aggravates me about some of these folks is that they continue with the injury is" no big deal" and stereotype many of us as risktakers/alcoholics who fell the wrong way... no one is perfect and I'm sure everyone has had their fair share of indiscretions, but.instead all I saw in their interviews was a show of bravado -- and inflated egos.

    it would've been nice if they mentioned at least once nationally about research and rehabilitation of the injury.
    But that's just my take --

Similar Threads

  1. Anti-sexist commentary on MURDERBALL
    By MrSoul in forum Life
    Replies: 369
    Last Post: 06-15-2006, 01:12 PM
  2. Murderball - passed, thrown, batted, rolled, dribbled, or carried across the line
    By Max in forum Recreation, Sports, Travel, & Hobbies
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-09-2005, 04:29 PM
  3. Murderball player seeks teammates
    By Max in forum Recreation, Sports, Travel, & Hobbies
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-28-2005, 09:44 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-06-2005, 12:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •