Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Murderball

Murderball

Does anyone else besides me feel like Murderball was an amazing movie, and was really not given a chance by the american people? I mean, it was slathered all over late night talk shows about how great it was, and then when released, went FLOP...DVD upon DVD of Murderball has been collecting dust on the clearance rack at Blockbuster for months now. It has even been reduced to 2.50. I suggested to a friend of mine too watch it, and she had no clue of what it even was....It was so sad to see the guy who created the moove(I forgett his name) all excited and stuff promoting his movie, and it ended up a dud. Do you think that there was a hype bby the TV industry only because they felt they HAD to promote this movie since their arent really movies with disabled peoplle in them? Just curious. Have a beautiful day.

I actually wasn't thrille with it. It was goosd to showcase quad rugby, but the rest of the movie made us complete quads look bad. The highest level was like c6or7 incomplete.
    I think there needed a bit more in the "What a quad is" deptartment.

But other than that, it was like watching Americian Chopper, with all the fighting.

There was a HUGE thread last year if yo7 haven't seen it yet.

It wasn't marketed right, and also, the general public does NOT want to see films about disability. It makes them too aware of their own vulnerability and scares the s**t out of them, so they avoid any films like this. Also, it was a documentary...death to most films in the area of making a commercial success. It will be interesting to see if the new fictional film The Goal will be any more successful (I doubt it).

Murderball was successful on the film festival circuit. Many good films are made every year (many even win major film festival awards like Murderball) that never even get a distribution deal. The minimum costs (in addition to the costs for making the film) to distribute a film in the USA is around $30 million (rights, marketing, duplication, etc.), and you just are not finding distributors who will put up that kind of money for a film that is unlikely to be a commercial success. We see great films all the time at the Cinema Society I belong to that will never get USA distribution.

Any yes, we did discuss this here ad nauseum over year ago when Murderball first came out. A lot of people on this forum also found the film uncomfortable to watch, so it was not even a success within the disability community.

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 10-25-2006 at 12:31 PM.

Murderball is fantastic, and I don't usually like sports movies. When I first saw the poster for it at Sheperd I thought it was some kind of lame sci-fi/horror film from the name. But I thought it was really well done and compelling and have reccomended it to everyone I know. I played a game of Quad Rugby while I was at Sheperd, but they duct-taped my hands into fists to even it out since I'm para. Figures, the one sport that I could still play and enjoy I'm not disabled ENOUGH to qualify for.
    Last edited by Myc0; 10-25-2006 at 03:20 PM.
    De Omnibus Dubitandum

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    Murderball was successful on the film festival circuit. Many good films are made every year (many even win major film festival awards like Murderball) that never even get a distribution deal.
    It's interesting. I first saw the movie at the annual international film festival in my city. It was a great success--both screenings sold out. Due to the great response at the festival, one of the independent theatres brought it back for a planned four week run. It was a disaster and they yanked it after two weeks because ticket sales were terrible. That isn't uncommon though, because the film festivals often attract a different type of audience--although it always amazes me that people will go to these films if they are shown as part of a "festival", but they won't just go see them for regular showings. This is a rant I have been on for several years. Plus as kld also mentioned, documentaries generally do not do very well, whatever the subject matter. You get the rare one like March of the Penguins, but it doesn't happen very often.

Another thing I found interesting about Murderball was that I saw it with a friend who is a C6 quad and actively participates in a number of sports, some of them quite extreme in nature. I was able bodied at the time and I thought the film okay, although it wasn't something I would watch a second time. But he absolutely hated it for a number of reasons. He ranted about it for days lol.

I watched it a few weeks ago mainly because it was the only thing around I could find and a visiting friend of mine hadn't seen it before. My feelings on it hadn't changed watching it as somebody with an injury. I still think it was a mediocre documentary.
    Last edited by orangejello; 10-25-2006 at 03:28 PM.

I liked it.
    Paralyze resistance with persistence.
    T-12

I really liked the movie...I kept hearing about Quad Rugby and I was wondering how the game was played and the movie explained how...I would like to attend a real game if I could...

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberly24
    Does anyone else besides me feel like Murderball was an amazing movie, and was really not given a chance by the american people? I mean, it was slathered all over late night talk shows about how great it was, and then when released, went FLOP...DVD upon DVD of Murderball has been collecting dust on the clearance rack at Blockbuster for months now. It has even been reduced to 2.50. I suggested to a friend of mine too watch it, and she had no clue of what it even was....It was so sad to see the guy who created the moove(I forgett his name) all excited and stuff promoting his movie, and it ended up a dud. Do you think that there was a hype bby the TV industry only because they felt they HAD to promote this movie since their arent really movies with disabled peoplle in them? Just curious. Have a beautiful day.
    Hi and welcome, Kimberly. I see you joined back in January and have only just now made your first post. Wow. Congratulations.

The documantary movie you've commented on was the subject of intense and often bitter debate months ago. Here's a link to the main thread in which it was discussed:
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...ght=MarK+Zupan

Good luck; it's nice to have you aboard.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

The trailers for that movie The Goal have more cheese than an extra large pizza.

I'm not sure why the ability to play quad rugby is supposed to make everything ok and be inspirational. You wouldn't see some guy with cancer playing badminton and get all teared up. "Sure he's really sick but look at that drop shot! I have a feeling that everything is going to be alright."

ok The Goal wow..stinkbomb in the making sorry

and Murderball like someone said definitly doesnt portray all quads especailly lower leveled, which erks me..but it was interesting to watch at least 1 time