Thread: Info on stem cell research ...

Info on stem cell research ...

Hello,

We are just trying to find out if anyone knows anything about stem cell research in people who have suffered a "hang mans fracture" in the C1 & C2 vertabrae. He is on life support and is a quadriplegic. He has had an opperation to put his spine back together with a piece of his bone from his hip bone. We are just trying to see if ther is any information on things that we can try in order to get any progress in this situation. We have heard of people that have regained some movements and we are willing to try anything.

Oh my, I also sustained a "hang man's" with C-1, C-2 amongest others!
    Pming you!

Quote Originally Posted by lookingforanswers
    Hello,

We are just trying to find out if anyone knows anything about stem cell research in people who have suffered a "hang mans fracture" in the C1 & C2 vertabrae. He is on life support and is a quadriplegic. He has had an opperation to put his spine back together with a piece of his bone from his hip bone. We are just trying to see if ther is any information on things that we can try in order to get any progress in this situation. We have heard of people that have regained some movements and we are willing to try anything.
    Dear looking,

Welcome to CareCure. I am very sorry to hear. In my experience (as a spinal cord injury researcher since 1979), most people with "hangman's fracture" or C1/C2 distraction injuries recover substantial function. I hope that he received methylprednisolone and his surgery goes without complication. At the present, the goal should be survival, minimize complications, and regain as much function as possible. Stem cell therapies will come.

Wise.