Thread: Not that I eat healthy but my son does-

Not that I eat healthy but my son does-

in part to the microwave thread, I thought I would suggest using a "steamer" for another quick way to cook foods, not as fast but beats the oven/stove and pots/pans to scrape and wash. . Once done, allow water to cool- pour out and load the rest of the unit in top shelf of dishhwasher.
    "I want to make a difference! However small it may be~ as long as it's a positive one, then this is what my life will have been about and I will go knowing I did my best.~ T.

That is a good idea.I love steamed veggies.
    Be yourself!!!
    http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/vandamnwcbb/
    BMF Sports & LiftWithoutLimits
    Sponsored Athlete
    http://www.bmfsports.com/ATHLETES.php
    www.genegvd.com

Steaming Fish

I've just recently started steaming the coho slamon that supplys much of my diet's protein. I'd been pan-frying my filets but want to cut down on the oil and fat in my diet. For the switch, I employed one layer of the tiered Chinese bamboo steamer I've had laying around for years; it gives a nice ethinc feel to the whole process. I use a medium-large flat-bottomed wok as the base and sit the bamboo steaming tier in it, then cover with an oversized cool-handle frypan lid.

I've been surprised to find that cooking times for the salmon are only some ten to fifteen percent longer that pan-fry times. The salmon tastes as good as ever but I do miss the crisping of the skin. On the other hand I'm cutting calories and the skins quickly lost their crispiness once refrigerated. Yeah, I cook a whole pound and a quarter to pound and three quarters filet at a time and make five to seven meals of it.

A 1 3/4 lb. salmon filet steams in a bit over eleven minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Juke_spin
    I've just recently started steaming the coho slamon that supplys much of my diet's protein. I'd been pan-frying my filets but want to cut down on the oil and fat in my diet. For the switch, I employed one layer of the tiered Chinese bamboo steamer I've had laying around for years; it gives a nice ethinc feel to the whole process. I use a medium-large flat-bottomed wok as the base and sit the bamboo steaming tier in it, then cover with an oversized cool-handle frypan lid.

I've been surprised to find that cooking times for the salmon are only some ten to fifteen percent longer that pan-fry times. The salmon tastes as good as ever but I do miss the crisping of the skin. On the other hand I'm cutting calories and the skins quickly lost their crispiness once refrigerated. Yeah, I cook a whole pound and a quarter to pound and three quarters filet at a time and make five to seven meals of it.

A 1 3/4 lb. salmon filet steams in a bit over eleven minutes.
    Hi Steve,

You're a nut!
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Wink Sneaking

Quote Originally Posted by bob clark
    Hi Steve,

You're a nut!
    Thanks, Bob. It's nice to be appreciated for what I really am.

And while we're at it, I seem to remember us comparing notes on how we both sneak around our own houses.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Thanks, Bob. It's nice to be appreciated for what I really am.

And while we're at it, I seem to remember us comparing notes on how we both sneak around our own houses.
    Hi George,

How dare you bring that subject up in public! He has green eyes.

Honey (giggling and drunk): When is...where is your son coming home?
    George: Ohhh. Martha? When is our son coming home?
    Martha: Never mind.
    George: No, no. I want to know. You brought it out into the open. When is he coming home, Martha?
    Martha: I said never mind. I'm sorry I brought it up.
    George: Him up...not it. You brought him up. Well, more or less. When's the little bugger going to appear? I mean, isn't tomorrow meant to be his birthday or something?
    Martha: I don't want to talk about it.
    George: But Martha...
    Martha: I DON'T WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT.
    George: I'll bet you don't. (To Honey and Nick) Martha does not want to talk about it...him. Martha is, uh, sorry she brought it up...him.
    Honey (idiotically giggling): When's the little bugger coming home?
    George: Yes, Martha...now that you've had the bad taste to bring the matter up in the first place...when is the little bugger coming home?

Exasperated, Martha counter attacks and accuses George of having his own problems by attacking his pride. She brings up more statements which are either suspect, true, false, or concocted lies. One fact that is undeniably reinforced is that level-headed, rational George has biologically participated in the creation of their son. But they argue over their non-existent son, she insisting that the boy has green eyes, he claiming the child has blue eyes:

Martha: George's biggest problem about the little...about our son, about our great big son, is that deep down in the private-most pit of his gut, he's not completely sure that it's his own kid.
    George: My God, you're a wicked woman.
    Martha: And I've told you a million times, baby...I wouldn't conceive with anyone else, you know that baby.
    George: A deeply wicked person.
    Honey (grieving and drunk): Oh my, my, my, my, my...
    Nick: I'm not sure that this is a subject for...
    George: Martha's lying. I want you to know that right now. Martha is lying. There are very few things that I am certain of anymore, but the one thing, the one thing in this whole sinking world that I am sure of is my partnership, my chromosomological partnership in the...creation of our...blond-eyed, blue-haired...son...
    Martha: ...George, our son does not have blue hair or blue eyes, for that matter. He has green eyes, like me. Beautiful, beautiful green eyes.
    George: He has blue eyes Martha.
    Martha: Green.
    George: Blue, Martha.
    Martha: GREEN you bastard.
    Name the movie Steve. It's a classic and definitely in my top 5.

Martha.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Quote Originally Posted by bob clark
    Hi George,

How dare you bring that subject up in public! He has green eyes.

Name the movie Steve. It's a classic and definitely in my top 5.

Martha.
    I'm going to try it w/o first checking the IMDB: Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf.

I'm posting this now and then going to check. (No smiley for crossed fingers.)

Edit: And none needed.

P.S. I'm gonna hafta think on this for a while...to make it reasonably fair.
    Last edited by Juke_spin; 10-23-2006 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Triumphant Return
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

I'm going to try it w/o first checking the IMDB: Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf.

I'm posting this now and then going to check. (No smiley for crossed fingers.
    Hi Steve,

No need to check, you're right. If you haven't seen it for awhile it's always worth a viewing at least every few years. I love movies with good dialog and "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" has a lot of that. And classic performances by both Liz and Dick.

Bob.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm