Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: flat panel TVs?

I have an old 52" projection TV that I have had for about eight years. I paid about $1500 for it and have had little or no problems with it. A similiar TV today goes for less then half that amount with far superior picture quality. I say that because I believe the prices of plasmas are going to drop like a rock beginning on black Friday. I would not be surprised to see these sets go down by 25% by next year. It is difficult for me to get so worked up by the picture quality to immediately make a purchase when I can do much better in a year. Obviously you can say that about any electronic product these days, but I believe that plasmas have just begun their price descent.
    mike

We got a 42" Sony KDF-E42A10 LCD HD TV last Christmas. It is a rear projection HDTV but is only 17" deep. I think it is fabulous. Everyone that has come here and seen the picture over the past year has been blown away and remarked how terrific the picture is. I love the fact that it has a cable card...so there is no cable box...Comcast provided the cable card for free, encoded it, installed it and unlike the box, there are no monthly charges. We paid around $1600 after rebates but you can get it under $1000 now. The new Sony Bravia is supposed to be very good as well. I think you have to go to Circuit City, Best Buy etc., and look at all the TV's side by side and compare all the features and prices...that's what I did.
    http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:Sony%20G...RpZANpMDIxXzQ3

Quote Originally Posted by Rrrrronnn
    Samsung LCD's also come in 46" and 52" sizes as well.
    they just posted a new 57'' LCD and the largest LCD at 70''!!

http://www.samsung.com/PressCenter/P...821_0000281216

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Quote Originally Posted by smokey
    We got a 42" Sony KDF-E42A10 LCD HD TV last Christmas. It is a rear projection HDTV but is only 17" deep. I think it is fabulous. Everyone that has come here and seen the picture over the past year has been blown away and remarked how terrific the picture is. I love the fact that it has a cable card...so there is no cable box...Comcast provided the cable card for free, encoded it, installed it and unlike the box, there are no monthly charges. We paid around $1600 after rebates but you can get it under $1000 now. The new Sony Bravia is supposed to be very good as well. I think you have to go to Circuit City, Best Buy etc., and look at all the TV's side by side and compare all the features and prices...that's what I did.
    http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:Sony%20G...RpZANpMDIxXzQ3
    I don't understand. Are you saying with the cable card that you don't pay for cable services? Or perhaps it's that you don't need to pay for high-definition services?

Wesley, The cable card is the functional equivalent of the cable box.....except you can't get PPV or Movies on Demand......neither of which bothers me. I'm just saying because of the cable card feature I don't get charged the extra $9.20 a month for renting the HD digital cable box from Comcast. I get a regular cable bill and I upgraded to the HD programming which was about $8 more per month. I just don't pay to "rent" any HD cable box. My monthly Comcast cable bill is currently about $99. That includes both the internet service and the basic and expanded TV service and "Digital Classic" with HD programming. I think I get about 15 HD channels and maybe another 180 non-HD channels.....I could get more HD channels if I wanted HBO, Showtime, etc. but I'm trying to keep it under $100/month...I don't watch a ton of TV anyway.

I'm looking toward the 56 inch Samsung DLP projection TV. It's not super thin like plasma, but it's not extremely huge like the old rear projection televisions were and burn in is not a factor. It has a great picture, contrast ratio is 10,000:1, and movies look awesome. I would choose something like this over LCD and plasma.

The more I look at my LCD, the more it seems tired and faded. The colors are not nearly as vibrant as the old CRTs. What improvements have they made in LCD technology in the last 18 months? Or is plasma a better bet? The room gets quite a bit of sunlight during the day.

~dan
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by doingtimeonmyass
    I'm looking toward the 56 inch Samsung DLP projection TV. It's not super thin like plasma, but it's not extremely huge like the old rear projection televisions were and burn in is not a factor. It has a great picture, contrast ratio is 10,000:1, and movies look awesome. I would choose something like this over LCD and plasma.
    Samsung DLP offering 1080P at (relatively) reasonable cost was my original interest in a large screen HiDef tv. The more I looked into this technology, the more complaints I heard from owners. Of course, the dissatisfied are the most vocal.

Burn in is no longer a real issue with plasma, and never has been with LCD.

There's a world of information out there, make an informed choice. (or flip a coin )
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old
    Samsung DLP offering 1080P at (relatively) reasonable cost was my original interest in a large screen HiDef tv. The more I looked into this technology, the more complaints I heard from owners. Of course, the dissatisfied are the most vocal.

Burn in is no longer a real issue with plasma, and never has been with LCD.

There's a world of information out there, make an informed choice. (or flip a coin )
    With the burn in comment I was comparing it to the older rear projection displays where that was an issue. What complaints have you heard with DLP? I guess it's possible to have stuck mirrors, but then again you can have dead pixels on LCDs.

Quote Originally Posted by doingtimeonmyass
    What complaints have you heard with DLP? I guess it's possible to have stuck mirrors, but then again you can have dead pixels on LCDs.
    Noisy colorwheels, frequent (and expensive) projection bulb failures, "rainbow" and "screen door" visual artifacts, failed light engines, stuck mirror arrays....
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg