Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: flat panel TVs?

Quote Originally Posted by dan_nc
    My livingroom LCD from July 2005 is old and tired and ready to be retired into my bedroom. I'm thinking of a plasma for the livingroom.
    I wouldn't think that an LCD TV from 2005 is ready for the retirement home/bedroom!?

I'm a bit apprehensive about purchasing used consumer electronics. Do you guys have good experiences buying used TVs and so-on?
    dan
    I want a full one-year warranty on a new TV and sometimes this will include on-site repair.

I have a 26" Sharp LCD, almost a year old. Diggen it imensely... Made my last year in bed pleasent...

P.s. I'm running Slax right now... with a Broadcom card

Blog Entries
    Hey Dan, I meant used items like books, cd/dvd's etc. NOT tvs Almost every item I have bought 'used' is actually a new item, old stock. THAT is why I check used on such things.
    LG is the brand of plasma I have now. It carries a FULL 2 yr warranty, no one else gives more than a year. I sat in Best Buy in Spartanburg, SC for over 2 hours and IN Knoxville,TN for almost 3 hours comparing every tv they had. I had 3300 dollars of in-store credit to replace my old plasma that they couldn't get a power supply for as it was no longer manufactured. I wanted PIP or split screen so I could compute AND watch tv at the same time. It existed in a 30 inch LCD but the picture just wasn't what I was accustomed to from my plasma. I looked at every lcd, rear projection and plasma under 3 grand. I wound up taking the 42" LG plasma. It has all but the PIP or split screen, but the picture is the best of any I have ever laid eyes on. It was 1000 dollars less than my in-store credit which I did not get a refund for, store rule is spend it or loose it on the warranty. (4 year extended bought at time of my original purchase). Think about it, I tossed a grand to get the tv I have now. It MUST be a great picture.
    My suggestion is go to a few places and saee every tv you can. Check all the functions and warranties and get your best shot. Don't go by what other people say, let your eyes speak for you. When ya get it home, gimme a shout and I'll tell you how to best adjust your picture ballpark, and you can go from there.

Paton, is that SLAX as in Linux? I have a 54 meg footprint system in mini disc I use to troubleshoot other folks computers. See whether it's hardware or windows failure.

Quote Originally Posted by CapnGimp
    I sat in Best Buy in Spartanburg, SC for over 2 hours and IN Knoxville,TN for almost 3 hours comparing every tv they had.
    My suggestion is go to a few places and saee every tv you can. Check all the functions and warranties and get your best shot. Don't go by what other people say, let your eyes speak for you. When ya get it home, gimme a shout and I'll tell you how to best adjust your picture ballpark, and you can go from there.
    I couldn't agree more strongly about going to the stores to look at these TVs before you buy. Robert Heron stated a few months ago on TWIT that stores such as Best Buy, Circuit City (they are all guilty of doing it) turn the brightness levels all the way up and this makes the picture stand out more but after viewing for an hour you will end up with eye strain, headache or both! I would suggest that you look at the remote control and see how they have calibrated these different settings.

Quote Originally Posted by PN
    I wouldn't think that an LCD TV from 2005 is ready for the retirement home/bedroom!?
    I paid way too much for it; got a 37" Sharp Aquos for a little over $3500 back in July 2005. Anyway, I got it home and decided it looked really puny in the livingroom but since I really don't have the kind of money to replace it, I've been living with it.

Lately I'm seeing all kinds of great deals on plasma and LCD flat panels. Is now a good time to make a purchase? Any idea if the prices will fall before the Christmas rush? Maybe it'll pay to wait a few more months.
    Daniel

I have a 40" Samsung 1080p LCD LN-S4095. It's fantastic. Extremely sharp picture, and just as bright as plasmas. LCD's have come a long way. I actually brought the brightness down a bit. Watching baseball on high definition is like having a window into the ballgame! Samsung LCD's also come in 46" and 52" sizes as well. Like others have said, look at them in person b4 u buy.
    Last edited by Rrrrronnn; 10-27-2006 at 09:43 AM.
    "If ya don't have it in the hips, ya better have it in the lips..." ~ Charlie - Villa Dulce

Lately I'm seeing all kinds of great deals on plasma and LCD flat panels. Is now a good time to make a purchase? Any idea if the prices will fall before the Christmas rush? Maybe it'll pay to wait a few more months.
    Hi Dan!

Common sense would dictate that you wait until after the Christmas/seasonal holidays to make your purchase. Let us know when you are ready to go shopping and we can try to help you find a good deal on a plasma or LCD TV.

Good luck!

Hey Dan - Chad is the TV king ... you can ask him and he'll give you the scoop. Also, we're good for tomorrow, about 10:15 (if you see this, I'll email you too).
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Quote Originally Posted by zillazangel
    Hey Dan - Chad is the TV king ... you can ask him and he'll give you the scoop. Also, we're good for tomorrow, about 10:15 (if you see this, I'll email you too).
    Cool. See you at 10:15 if you see this. I'll email you too.
    Daniel