Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: flat panel TVs?

flat panel TVs?

It appears they've really come down in price over the last 18 months or so ... what seems to be the best value these days? What about the LCD vs. Plasma debate?
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by dan_nc
    It appears they've really come down in price over the last 18 months or so ... what seems to be the best value these days? What about the LCD vs. Plasma debate?
    Smaller sets = LCD. Bigger sets=Plasma. I like the Panasonics and Pioneers in plasma. I've had a 50" Panny plama for almost a year, love it.

check out http://www.avsforum.com/ more than you'd ever want to know.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

If the TV set is going to be in a room with lots of sunlight then it is better to go with the LCD and I think the largest screen you can purchase is 47 inches. LCDs cost more per square inch than plasmas and therefore you get more bang for your buck with a plasma TV (and they do look good). Plasma is now 60,000 hours until half brightness or eight hours a day for the next 25 years.

I would recommend that you read the customer reviews over on Amazon because in aggregate the opinions can be helpful. Costco is another place to consider purchasing a TV because they usually have good prices, along with a very liberal return policy. UltimateAV is an on-line magazine where the professionals rate the products and ths is another good resource if you're considering purchasing a new TV. The "HD" nomenclature is now named 720p & 1080p. If I were to purchase a new TV today, that was under 42 inches, then I would stay with 720p (progressive scan) and I would want at least one HDMI input and probably one DVI input.

MMMM Telllllivissssssionnnnnnn

Ok i have a 19 inch regular ole TV but i can dream....

Quote Originally Posted by Chaptcheex
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B000F6SR0O

Ok i have a 19 inch regular ole TV but i can dream....
    Chaptcheex...... why do you have amazon product links in ALL your posts?..

Just curious.
    Last edited by Patonb; 10-24-2006 at 04:53 PM.

Blog Entries
    NOTHING can touch a plasma. I've been using mine for 3 yrs now and use it as a monitor for my computer.
    If it is going to be in a bright room, BETTER go with a plasma, LCD's can't compare, not bright enough.
    Ever use your laptop outside? My nephew has a LCD for a tv in his room, doesn't compare.

Paton, 2 easy places to buy just about anything....ebay and amazon. And if ya use the USED item links, you save a fortune on some types of items. I check there before I buy anything.
    Last edited by CapnGimp; 10-25-2006 at 02:22 AM.

I'm a bit apprehensive about purchasing used consumer electronics. Do you guys have good experiences buying used TVs and so-on?

~dan
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by CapnGimp
    Paton, 2 easy places to buy just about anything....ebay and amazon. And if ya use the USED item links, you save a fortune on some types of items. I check there before I buy anything.
    All 16 posts have a hidden product link in them, spread through out all forums.

Kinda of fishy to me.

I could use a new plasma TV. The one from 2003 is not cutting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Patonb
    All 16 posts have a hidden product link in them, spread through out all forums.

Kinda of fishy to me.
    I suspect something's turned his default search engine to Amazon dot com.

My livingroom LCD from July 2005 is old and tired and ready to be retired into my bedroom. I'm thinking of a plasma for the livingroom.
    Daniel