Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts on this re concert seating

Your thoughts on this re concert seating

I didnt want to hijack someone elses thread but I wanted to get your thoughts on this......

I went to a concert on Sunday. An AB guest in the handicapped seating (they are seated in front of every section in this particular venue and are actually on risers with excellent views, they have an abundance of handicapped seats as it is a rather new outdoor theatre) decided she was going to stand up and dance. Several people behind her could not see the concert they paid to see.

My feelings are mixed about this.

She certainly has the right to stand up but she really needed to be in the AB section if her intentions were to dance. Yet she obviously wanted to enjoy this concert with her chair bound friend. One of the handicapped people behind her approached a staff member and the staff member told her there was nothing she could do. The staff member told her she was not allowed to ask this person to sit down.

If my seat had been behind this person, I would have been very upset as these seats were $90 a seat. I chose my aisle seat for the accessibility and the ability for me to have an unobstructed view. I have been to concerts before where everyone around me was standing and I didnt get to see a thing. I believe at this particular venue that is why the handicapped seats are in front of every section on risers so they will be guaranteed to see the concert they paid to see at the price level they bought. The lawn handicapped seats are even on risers.

What do you all feel about this situation?
    Last edited by darkeyed_daisy; 10-19-2006 at 10:08 AM.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

I'm wondering if the people with blocked views tried speaking directly to the dancer? What's difficult is when an usher won't speak to a person blocking your view, but won't let you move slightly to see the event.

Shorter AB's run similar sighting perils at events.

Bottom line? Seating and rules should allow everyone to see and hear the performer(s). A limited amount of inconvenience (one dance?) may be tolerated, but having your view blocked for the entire concert is unfair.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

I feel that it won't ever change. In my twenty years, people have been mentioning that like the parking problem ...
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer
    I feel that it won't ever change. In my twenty years, people have been mentioning that like the parking problem ...
    In the parts of the world I frequent, there has been remarkable progress on both fronts (and others, like restrooms) in the last 20 years. Still a lot of room for improvement, but measurable progress for sure. Thank you, advocates!
    Foolish

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

This girl danced the whole concert.....and she was tall and a little over weight which made the people behind her not even be able to move to see.

She sat down for a few minutes but I am not sure if the lady behind her asked her or not. But she was back up soon enough.

I cant imagine having to sit behind her without even the ability to stand up to see around her.

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

This kind of thing happened pre-SCI. Why wouldn't it happen now? 4'11" to most of the world's much taller height had me looking at the backs of others unless on front row.

Unless the ABs are asked to refrain from standing and dancing in other sections, I doubt they 'll be asked to remain seated in disabled areas either.

If it bothered me, I'd have tried to move within the wheelchair section for better line of sight or asked her to move so I could better see.

Most places I have gone to where there are seats NO ONE is allowed to stand on seats no matter where they are seated. At the Sioux Falls Arena we have a rizer for shows and then there are some seats in front of it for wheelchairs and companions. People will try to sneak up to the front to either sneak a peak or get a picture and they are shoved back pretty fast because they don't want those people obstructing our view. More so for those on the floor than the rizer. It hasn't always been this way so someone must have said something because they are REALLY strict about getting those people out of the way.

I find it really rude that this lady who was with someone in a wheelchair stood on a seat so she could see better and not even considering the chairs behind her. I would have said something to her and for the staff to say they couldn't do anything, that is just wrong! They were just too lazy. I would have asked them for their names and wrote them down. 90 bucks a ticket everyone has a right to see. I am surprised they let her stay up as long as she did with liability during concerts being so high these days.

I would write a letter to the manager of the venue informing him of the problem and discuss your views on people standing on chairs in front of the wheelchair section. Also mention what the staff said. I know she wasn't obstructing your view, but it will hopefully prevent it at future concerts.

If they have no rules for standing on chairs it's going to take one person falling off one and getting hurt and suing the venue even though the person was at fault for standing on it in the first place.
    "Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today." ~ James Dean
    http://www.kristi-allen.com

I ask the person kindly to stop.If it continues I'll ask again,3rd time I start dancing doing 360's.If an AB can dance and get in my way,I have the same right to manuever my chair like I'm dancing and knock them around.
    Be yourself!!!
    http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/vandamnwcbb/
    BMF Sports & LiftWithoutLimits
    Sponsored Athlete
    http://www.bmfsports.com/ATHLETES.php
    www.genegvd.com

She wasnt standing on a seat just on the rizer that the disabled seating was on.

That is why I said my feelings were mixed on this. The reason they put the people in chairs there on rizers is so they can see. If they were forced to sit in regular seats they wouldnt be able to see because of people standing around/in front of them. The dancing girl was in the front row of the disabled seats and the person behind her was having the hard time seeing the concert. It doesnt hardly seem fair but I can understand why they were reluctant to ask her to sit down.

"All standing dancers to the rear, please."
    Foolish