Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turning

Turning

the first 18yrs of my injury [c4-c5] i was on a regular turn schedule during the night.

i've been living alone for the past 8yrs. now i can't be turned at night so i sleep the entire night on my back.

my skin is fine. what problems can occur with my internal organs? and what might be a solution? thank you.

hc

if you can't get out of bed independently, much less turn in bed, it's probably not safe living alone in terms of emergency, if that's a concern.

i have two straps, one attached to each side of my bed. with them i can turn, without them not.

at c4/c5 i'm not sure they would help though

IM C4-5 INC, I LIKE SLEEPING ON MY SIDE, I CAN TURN AND TRANSFER THOUGH, MAYBE TRY SLEEPING OPN SIDE

Turning by yourself is nearly impossible for someone with a complete C4-5 injury. While you may be doing OK now, in the long run not turning at night can lead to skin breakdown as you age.

Turning is also important for maintaining joint flexibility, proper kidney drainage, and proper lung secretion drainage. Not turning increasing your risks for pneumonia, kidney stones, and contractures.

Probably the best solution for someone who lives alone and has only part time attendant care (which may people do safely for years) is to see if you can get funded for a turning mattress.

The two I am most familiar with are the Triline Cair Turn RT and the Span America Pressure Guard Turn Select. The latter has has some problems with breakdowns, so we are currently issuing the former only.

If you also need a low air loss mattress for open pressure ulcers or recurrent pressure ulcers, then either the Invacare TurnQ or the Triline TurnCair are good options (but both very expensive).

Triline Products

Span America Turn Select

Invacare Type II mattresses

None of these turn you more than 30 degrees, which is less than ideal, but better than no turning at all. The turn frequency can be adjusted on all of them. I recommend 30 minute cycles since you are not getting a full turn. They all are designed to replace your standard hospital bed mattress.

(KLD)

Crags - Would it be possible to describe the straps you use and how you manuver to turn? Tx!

"Would it be possible to describe the straps you use and how you manuver to turn?"

it's 2" webbing, though 1" would do. you can get some at an OT dept, or any marine supply store. each side is comprised of two loops, each about 12" long. the two loops are chained together. the first is sewn, the next one is sewn through the other.

each two loop chain is attached to the bed frame at about chest height (lying down). you can attach it to the frame with strong cord or hitch it through itself.

before you lie down facing one way, just make sure the loop behind you is one the mattress within reach. then in the middle of the night you can simply reach behind you to find it and pull yourself to that side.

they also help with pulling up to a sit position or just repositioning yourself.

i'd be lost without them. i have a set for when i travel or stay elsewhere.

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse:

The two I am most familiar with are the Triline Cair Turn RT and the Span America Pressure Guard Turn Select. The latter has has some problems with breakdowns, so we are currently issuing the former only.

(KLD)
    I have a Span America Pressure Guard Turn Select and it is prone to breaking down. Probably due to cheap plastic fittings at the motor.

There's also the Turnsoft mattress. www.turnsoft.com

Alan

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

crags,

How do you get your legs to go where you want them?

I use those straps too, they are called bed ladders and are available from Sammons and Preston. I too am lost without them. When I turn my legs usually go into a comfortable position but if they don't I sit half up and move them.

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow"
    ~ Anon