Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any Help For Ischemia?

Rednekc. Please do post if you get some info if you contact them, thanks. I also have some neuron deaths to my cord as a result of the ischemia the AVM created. Good to see that more companies and research institutions are planning human clinical trials for SCI, the trial above here I guess none of us was aware of, at least I was not aware of it before I did the search, hopefully there will also be more positive news like this. Btw. I also found this, more collaboration Source. Also found this Research although this seems to be more for the acute phases after spinal cord ischemia.

Offer an example

Please have a look at this link
    http://www.nrrfr.com/english_nr.asp?...ery%20Syndrome

Mark Anthony Carmack (USA)

2006-7-24
    Mark Anthony Carmack (USA)

Brief Medical History:
    This 30-year-old American male patient was admitted to China for treatment of Spinal Anterior Artery Syndrome onJun19th 2006 .He has had two surgeries due to aortic stenosis in 1978 and 1998. In the second surgery, he received serious angiorrhexis resulting in his spinal cord injury; He was rendered an incomplete paraplegic and lost the sensation below the lower chest. It was diagnosed as Anterior Spinal Artery Syndrome. His lower limbs developed muscular atrophy and felt burning in his lower limbs. He had partial sensation and control of the bladder and the bowel. He had been doing physical therapy and acupuncture but there was no any improvement.

ADMISSION DIAGNOSIS: Anterior Spinal Artery Syndrome

PHYSICAL EXAMINATION:
    Mentation: Normal. He was examined according to the criteria of the ASIA neurological assessment scale. Muscular power: upper extremities 5/5 bilaterally .Hip flexors 1/5 bilaterally; Knee extensors 0/5 bilaterally. Ankle dorsiflexors 0/5.Long toe extensors 0/5.Ankle plantar flexors 0/5. Light touch: hypesthesia level:T6-S4/5 on his right and T7-S4/5on his left , Pin prick: analgesia level : T6 on his right and T7-T11on his left. Analgesia level: T8-S4/5 on his right and T12-S4/5 on his left. Deep sensation including topesthesia, vibratory sense, and proprioception were normal .Otherwise the sensation to light tough, pinprick and temperature significantly decreased below the lower chest.

ASIA motor score was 26points on the right, left26points.
    ASIA light touch score was 40 points on the right, left 41 points
    ASIA pin prick score was 27 points on the right, left 31 points.
    The score of Xishan Hospital Spinal Cord Injury Functional Rating Scale was 33 points.

OPERATIVE PROCEDURE:
    Under general anesthesia, the olfactory ensheathing glial cell transplantation procedure was done on Jun21 of 2006. 50 µliters containing about 1,000,000 cells was injected into the spinal cord of the patient.

POST-OPERATIVE COURSE:
    The course of the operation was good. He recovered well after the operation. Ten days after the surgery, the stitches were taken out. After the surgery he noticed that his edema had lessened. Seven days after the surgery, he began to have a sensory change which resulted in a gain of two spinal levels: T7 sensation moved down to T9 and is still continuing to move down. He felt strong enough in my legs to raise them from the bed and move them in several positions quite easily .His lower limbs pain had relieved .When he went to toilet he had obviously feeling and control, neurology examination: Muscular power: upper extremities 5/5 bilaterally .Hip flexors 3/5 on his right and 1/5 on his left. Knee extensors 2/5 on his right and 1/5 on his left. Ankle dorsiflexors 0/5.Long toe extensors 0/5.Ankle plantar flexors 0/5. Light touch:: T9-S4/5 bilaterally,: analgesia level: No. Pin prick: hypesthesia level: T9-L4, S1-S4/5 bilaterally, Analgesia level: L5 bilaterally, Deep sensation including topesthesia, vibratory sense, and proprioception were normal. The sensation to light tough, pinprick and temperature significantly to recover normal below the lower chest.

ASIA motor score was 30points on the right, left 27 points.
    ASIA light touch score was 43 points on the right, left 43 points.
    ASIA pin prick score was 42 points on the right, left 42 points.
    The score of Xishan Hospital Spinal Cord Injury Functional Rating Scale was 37 points.

EMG conclusion: Compared with the pre-operative EMG in 20/06/2006: The recruitment of the hard contraction of both sides of Iliopsoas and Anal sphincter L muscles was changed, and its pattern was improved and more intensive than pre-operation.

The patient stated: “I am a 30 year old Caucasian male who was diagnosed with anterior spinal artery syndrome following an aorta repair in 1998. I am six feet and three inches tall and weigh approximately 180 pounds. My original condition consisted of complete motor loss at the T-8 level with sensory impairment at the T-6 level. I have had very gradual improvement over the last eight years leading to the ability to stand and take steps with leg braces and forearm crutches; however, it was very laborious and the length of time that I could stand and walk was very short due to using my upper body so much. Also, I had severe pitting edema in my lower legs and feet due to poor circulation in my legs, accompanied by neuropathy in both legs extending up to the level of injury. To relieve the edema as much as possible, I had to use compression stockings with a strong level of compression, and still, the edema would not completely dissipate. I received the OEC transplantation on July 21, 2006 by Dr. Huang. Immediately after surgery I noticed that my edema had completely dissipated, and in fact, I could not even wear my compression stockings any longer because they would actually cut off my circulation, which was now much stronger. Seven days after the surgery, I began to have a sensory change which resulted in a gain of two spinal levels: T-7 sensation moved down to T-9 and is still continuing to move down. The other major change is that I am now strong enough in my legs to raise them from the bed and move them in several positions quite easily. Before surgery, these movements were either non-existent or very difficult. About two weeks after surgery, I put on my braces and forearm crutches and walked an amazing 150 feet with quite a bit of ease because I did not need to use my upper body very much. I am now using my legs to walk! I have not been capable of walking with my legs since the injury. Each day that I walk, my balance and coordination improve, as well as my stamina. I don’t know what to expect in the months to come, but if this recovery is any indication, I plan to be back on my feet at some point in the near-future. In summary, I must say that I have had a very positive experience with Dr. Huang’s procedure and would be happy to answer any questions regarding my experience here.

Contact Email Address : ma_carmack@yahoo.com