Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just moaning .... :)

Ami, I wish you were closer to us so I could help you out. Seizures and sleepwalking?!? Not good! Upping the amount of good vibes, white light and prayers coming your way immediately!!

And get your butt OFF the computer and go to bed right now, young lady!
    SERIOUSLY!!!

Ami, I'm so sorry to hear about your concussion. Basilar skull fracture sounds extremely scary. I'm around pretty much all the time, so call or text if you need anything.

I really hope the tests go okay. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

~dan
    Last edited by dan_nc; 10-23-2006 at 10:05 PM.
    Daniel

Good heavens, girl! Please take care of yourself!

You might ask your mother-in-law for a PDA for Christmas. You know, to better schedule your brain injuries and such. People are unbelievable sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by betheny
    Good heavens, girl! Please take care of yourself!

You might ask your mother-in-law for a PDA for Christmas. You know, to better schedule your brain injuries and such. People are unbelievable sometimes.
    That's a good one. And I swear on life, she REALLY said taht!!! Ugh.
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Better yet a suit of armor......and a padded room!!!!!

Just kidding!!!!

Take care of yourself.....you dont have nine lives ya know!!!!!
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Had my EEG, so it will be hopefully diagnostic. The neurologist is nearly 100% sure about the diagnosis he gave before (forgot the name of it!! something about basal something or other fracture). He says the MRI will show definitiely how many bones I broke at the base of my skull. OMG. I just can't believe this is happening from hitting my effing head on the van header!!!!

I have added some weird symptoms too, I have sleep walked (slept walked?) the past two nights. The first night it was just me and Chad and I got up no less than SIX times looking for Stanley (the dog) who was at the vet being boarded. I was distraught apparently, and repeatedly got up and searched for him despite Chad teling me every single time that Stanley was at the vet. I'd say "oh", get in bed, then do it again 20 mins later. THEN, last night, my mom stayed over on the couch downstairs since I was sleep walking to keep an eye on me so I would not fall (just what I'd need) if I sleep walked again. And she heard me get up, get Stanley out of his crate, put his leash on, walk out the door in my very skimpy purple silk nightie, no shoes, no robe, no jacket and by the time she put on her robe and shoes I was halfway down the street right in the middle of the road with the wind blowing up my nightie!!!!! OMG! Luckily it was 4:30 am so it's unlikely anyone saw me, but still - worrisome!!! What if she hadn't found me????? What if I tripped and passed out and wasn't found until 6 am? What if I seized?

Also, I did much worse today on the "drunk" tests. I cannot find my nose without a mirror and two hands, I can't walk a straight line and when I close my eyes I fall to the left. He is "concerned" about this. So am I!!!! However, he did say that my symptoms are practically textbook for post concussive syndrome for this type of skull fracture. Treatment is rest, rest, rest, painkillers, muscle relaxers, benzos and prednisone - antibiotics if needed (will know tomorrow, but fever has gone down, a good sign). And rarely, skull surgery. OK, I'm focusing on the rarely part! But then again, only 4% of all skull fractures are this type and it is the most serious. So let's hope I'm not in the unlucky fraction again.

Today they gave me tegretol for the seizures, kicked my ass with Klonopin, the highest dose possible too. I have an MRI tomorrow and that should give the full picture. But so far he says that it clearly a skull fracture of 1 to 3 bones at the top of my cervical spine. I'm like ummmmm, we already have TOO MANY cervical spine fractures in this family!!!

My typing is noticeably better eh? The new drugs have helped.

I'm totally hyped up from the prednisone they are giving me to reduce the brain swelling. So I can't sleep despite 2 mg of Klonopin and Ambien. Argh.

Thank you all for your good thoughts, I am just astounded this is happening to me. And it helps to just spill it all out here. Thanks.
    Last edited by zillazangel; 10-24-2006 at 11:49 PM.
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Get Well Soon, Ami!
    Daniel

Ami
    I hope you feel better soon. I know I always joke around in light of all the antics we seem to get ourselves into but this sounds a bit more serious than a bump on the head.

Just take care of yourself.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Holy moly Ami ....... I'm pretty much speechless ! Please take care of yourself ..... geez my prayer list is long these days I wish everyone could get a break !!

Obieone
    A little lightness here - I watch the Young and the Restless regularily (no smart remarks please it keeps me sane ) and they are doing a story line on Epilespy - Victor (super rich man character) has it and has a dog "Zipato" (cute name huh) (actually when I think about it it looks alot like Stanley) anyhoo this pup can sense when he has a seizure coming on - don't know if thats true of all dogs - but it might not hurt to keep Stanley close at hand in case !
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

Quote Originally Posted by Obieone
    Holy moly Ami ....... I'm pretty much speechless ! Please take care of yourself ..... geez my prayer list is long these days I wish everyone could get a break !!

Obieone
    A little lightness here - I watch the Young and the Restless regularily (no smart remarks please it keeps me sane ) and they are doing a story line on Epilespy - Victor (super rich man character) has it and has a dog "Zipato" (cute name huh) (actually when I think about it it looks alot like Stanley) anyhoo this pup can sense when he has a seizure coming on - don't know if thats true of all dogs - but it might not hurt to keep Stanley close at hand in case !
    Obie, seizure alert dogs do exist, though they are not widely known about.

http://ca.geocities.com/epilepsy911/seizuredogs.html

When I met Debbie, she had been having seizures for years (cause unknown ). She had recently rescued a Boston Terrier from a puppy mill. Buster had a lot of health problems, and some psyche issues, from his years of abuse, but once he began healing -in all ways - he showed that he was one smart pup! One night when he was sitting next to Debbie he got up into her lap and put his paws on her chest. This was new behavior and we didn't know what he was doing, but within fifteen seconds, Debbie had a seizure. At first, we thought it was a flukey thing, but when it happened a second, third, etc. time we had to believe that he was "feeling" the onset of her seizure and doing what he could to warn and/or protect her.

The chihuahua we got a couple years later, however, was clueless. Guess not all dogs have the gift.

Ami, you either were wearing jet-propelled shoes when you reared up and hit the head of your van, or you were simply damned unlucky to have received such a serious injury. I know the symptoms you're having are normal for that type of injury, but that doesn't make them any less scary. Very glad you have both people and pup to watch over you while you heal.

A very rough month you've had to be sure! I do hope that you'll heal quickly and that life will calm down for all of you!

Take good care -
    Melissa