Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are you a super quad?

Cool Are you a super quad?

so as we all know there are regular quads and there are super quads.
    i consider a super quads people who can transfer themselves in n out of bed, and even transfer themselves in n out of reg cars. they have big arms and dont need much assistance from a PA to get dressed or shower.

im a c5/6 complete quad. i cant transfer. i use a power chair, and need assistance with dressing, showering, and BPing.

i work out 5-6 days a week. 3 days a week lifting weights and 2-3 days a week doing cardio. is there any way of turning into a super quad. ive been injured for 7 years and am not getting any stronger. im thinking of getting on creatine and protien shakes to get stronger.

if i could just transfer myself life would be that much more greater n independent. is there anything i can do, or will i just be a regular quad untill treatment comes along?

www.myspace.com/j2racing
    J2

28/M/chicago/C5-c6 quad Comp.
    [url]
    www.J2RollsOn.com

Hi - have you tried a sliding board for transfers?

I can get my arse across but need help lifting my legs even so it does make life much simpler.

Sorry should have said c5.

The MYTH of "super-quad"

There is no such thing as a "super-quad". This oft used term is a silly misnomer.

Quads vary so greatly, even within in-between levels like c5-6, where that point from 5 and 6 can mean the world of difference in 'independence'. Plus,the added "incompleteness" of an injury can be extremely significant, where one's neurological injury level can be designated as cervical, but the person functions more like a para, with pretty good upper extremity function.

If I stated my injury level as documented in some medical records, I can just as easily state I'm a c1-4 complete and present myself as some super quad. That would be a complete misrepresentation and do nothing to help me or anyone else. I function as a c5-6 Asia A. I'm much weaker and less functional than many c6's I know, with some c6's being likely c6-7. Some people seem fixed on their initial diagnosis, which can be a very crude estimate of what little they can know at such an acute stage (esp when first brought in as trauma pt.).

Protein shakes are not going to give you some super human quad strength and abilities. Continue with your exercises and being as active as you have been, and improve/maintain the strength you have.

There is no "normal" quad vs "super quad". A quad is what they are given whatever injury they incurred and whatever their function given that injury. How one rehabs, the exercises and activities, and the support given to help maximize function has great effect upon the SCI'd person.

There is no magic pill to become some superquad. Maybe putting on a cape and believing you are a "super-Q" is all it takes.
    Last edited by chick; 10-17-2006 at 01:35 PM.

Well said, chick. It all depends how much cord is left hanging.

Not that you shouldn't try, J2. Keep fighting. Just don't beat yourself up because somebody else seems to be doing better. These damned injuries are like fingerprints.

J2,don't judge yourself strictly by physical abilities. The nerve supply is not there in your arms.Keep what you have in shape. I suspect there are many that know you who consider you a super quad.

I'm a c5/c6 incomplete almost 10yrs.I can't do much of anything unassited.I am getting better.Just keep trying,maybe one day our bodies will heal themselves.
    Be yourself!!!
    http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/vandamnwcbb/
    BMF Sports & LiftWithoutLimits
    Sponsored Athlete
    http://www.bmfsports.com/ATHLETES.php
    www.genegvd.com

I was told in hospital that I was...........it boosted my ego but I still disagree with the term.

I have much typical function for a C5/6 but also have flickering tris in left arms, one 'grippier' hand and quite good balance - all as a result of incompleteness and return than any superhuman effort.

My arms are big for a quad, biceps are steel and shoulders are solid but I still can't transfer without the tiniest bit of help. Spasms and heavy legs.

I work full time but some days I'm so tired I'm glad to flop into bed if my PCA comes early. The fatigue can come and go easily - it's an SCI treat.
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

I use a power chair, cannot transfer on my own and need assistance with bathing/dressing.

But I also drive, work full-time, kayak, cycle, camp and am in a wonderful relationship.

Am I a "regular" quad or a "super" quad?

Everyone is different.

If you don't have the connecting nerve fibers to your muscles, no matter how much effort you put in to building the non nerved muscles, they won't get bigger.

Maximising what you got is the best thing to try and do. I know of C5's with partial wrist flextion does his own transfers, but after 27yrs he's paying for it now with sever pain.

I must be funny, as what I have now is what I had 4 days after my injury. I'm a C5 burst, have great shoulders, decent bicepts, okay wrists flexors, both wrists, and as I found out last summer, flickering Tri's in both arms.

And for the records, there are super quads.... His name is Fuente!

i am 55 a c6c7 i can transfer feed cook no 7 course dinners though lol scared to tranfers from shower chair to chair not to stable but pretty much can do for myself . i have found transferingfrom powerchair to van to drive easier than from manual. not a super quad just fornuate to have strong arms wrist and left hand stronger than right.been injured since 2001 . a friend of mine same level totally independent.like they said depends on the nerves