Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sharing cable modem wirelessly

Sharing cable modem wirelessly

Hi Paul and Paton,

I told ya I knew nothing about networking Paul. So.....

My main computer is a gaming computer (Thunderbox XFuel w/Asus SLI mobo) and is in my livingroom where my cable modem is located. I also have an old Alienware (upgraded to 2.6GHz) that's just setting here as my backup computer and collecting dust. I just recently replaced the PSU and motherboard in it after I burnt them out by leaning the computer against the strong magnet of a subwoofer so it's almost like new again! But duh.

I don't want to network both computers up together, at least for now, since they'd both need to be turned on and I don't like that idea but would like to share the cable modem. Perhaps someday I may want to network both computers up together but for now would just like to connect the old Alienware up to my LCD VGA capable TV that's in my bedroom and get online. I plan on buying a wireless keyboard, mouse and a VGA cable (the Alienware will be kept across the bedroom) so if I want to I can get online while relaxing in bed. I'm gettin' old and lazy!

I'm wondering if I can do this with these two wireless network components. I'm trying to do it as cheaply as possible..... the wireless router is refurbished. Would I just connect this up to the cable modem that's in my livingroom.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...NET&cpc=NETbsc This Netgear WGT624 108Mbps Wireless Firewall Router

And then install this wireless PCI adapter into my old Alienware that will be in my bedroom?

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...4-BULK&cat=NET PCI wireless adapter

Are both these components compatible with each other and is this the best way to wirelessly share the cable modem?

And if I decide in the future, would I be able to network both computers together for file sharing and gaming with these wireless components?

I was looking around for a USB or even a PS2 backlit wireless keyboard since the only light I usually have in the bedroom comes from the TV but the only one I could find isn't released yet and with the mouse would cost well over $300. No way! It's a Microsoft product due for release in February of '07. It sure looks nice but it costs a lot for just a keyboard and mouse.

I can find cheap wireless keyboards and mice and cheap backlit keyboards but not both combined into one.

Thanks.

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Yup.. Thats all great. A properly setup (use WPA security) WiFi connection is your easiest solution to home netorking. (Your running 2, 1 computer networks). You'll be doubely protected as it's also a NAT firewall.

Connecting the comps is 6 minute operation, to share the folders and resources. My next purchase will probably a network drive so I'll be able to access it from any of my 3 computers........ I'm going to setup a linux box on my old PIV 1.6.

Good price as well.

Can't help you on the keyboard though...Maybe rig up your own?/? Or buy a flashlight

No help on the networking, I've got my own live in geeks for that ..... LOL .

Quote Originally Posted by Patonb
    Or buy a flashlight
    How about one of those clip on book lights?

http://www.levenger.com/PAGETEMPLATE...%7CPageID=3980
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Yup.. Thats all great. A properly setup (use WPA security) WiFi connection is your easiest solution to home netorking. (Your running 2, 1 computer networks). You'll be doubely protected as it's also a NAT firewall.

Connecting the comps is 6 minute operation, to share the folders and resources. My next purchase will probably a network drive so I'll be able to access it from any of my 3 computers........ I'm going to setup a linux box on my old PIV 1.6.

Good price as well.

Can't help you on the keyboard though...Maybe rig up your own?/? Or buy a flashlight
    Hi Paton,

I thought WiFi was for notebooks. I know you can hook up a PC to a notebook using Wifi but can you connect two PCs via Wifi?

I may hold hold off awhile before attempting a wireless sharing of the cable modem or networking of the two PCs.

Because I'd also need to buy another hard drive since I'm using the one from my old Alienware (120GB Seagate) in my newer computer as a backup or storage drive. I have XP Pro installed (it has 4 partitions) on it so I can just pop it back into the Alienware but it would be easier/better just to leave it where it is and buy an inexpensive 40-80GB hard drive. And the next thing I'd want to do is be able to record shows off the TV and would need to invest in a video capture card. And then buy a DVD burner for the Alienware or swap out hard drives everytime I recorded a show or trade the DVD burner in my new computer for the CD-RW DVD drive in the old or buy another DVD burner and the next thing you know I'd have my little inexpensive project ballooning out of control.

Plus there's there's the lighting situation with the wireless keyboard and mouse..... I have a flashlight and even a fairly heavy-duty rechargeable battery operated compressor that backups as a 12 volt power supply that has an adjustable snake-like halogen lamp on it (for hurricane outages etc) but it would be a pain in the ass to use in bed since it weighs a ton... well about 15 pounds plus I think and I'd be getting glare etc. Or I could buy a light that snaps onto the headboard but where would it all end?

I'll just do my Internet stuff out here in the livingroom for awhile longer and wait until Comcast starts to give out their Hi-Def / DVR combo boxes for free. And hopefully I'll be able to burn DVDs from it. They cost around $350 now. I can get 4 cable boxes for free. 2-4 Hi-Defs and 2-4 DVRs boxes or whatever combination I want but not 1 combo box! It's crazy! And then hook up a network. Orrrrrrr.... I have half a dozen VHS/DVD RCA cables lying around here but in this Wireless Audio/Video transmitter & receiver system they only give you one.... and I believe you need 2! Whatzup with that?

Plus I can probably buy a cheap cable modem or rent one from Comcast for $3.50 a month.

But I do want to get a new toy. I've been thinking about getting this USB microscope/camera. It's only $50 bucks. The resolution is fairly low at 640x480 in jpg and less in video and only has 100x, 200x, 300X lens capability but it's a starter kit. I can start to learn how to do my own bladder infection tests and the next thing you know I'll have found a cure for SCI! I can upgrade the camera to a 1280x1024 rez for $129 if I take a real interest in it and use the other one as a webcam. Some E-microscopes can go well into the thousands. EBay has a bunch of them for sale in the multiples of $100s up to almost $2000.

I'll wait until tomorrow to make up my mind but it would be fun to look at microscopic stuff on the computer monitor. It's just that the resolution kinda sux.

Oh well, I'm just bored and need to find a hobby.... I sure ain't gonna get a job at my age!

Thanks for the help.

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Well techically there is no difference between a wireless connection and a wired one, in terms of connection to the interp0rn, well except for the lack of cables. They both transmit the data exactly the same, with the wireless beng sent by radio at 2.4Ghz.
    Notebooks just have built in cards which make them more portable and thus marketed based on that. Most desktops are not used portably, so it's not usually thought of as a wireless computing device, but that is changing with desktop motherboards geting intel wireless chips on board, and wireless routers being dirt cheap. Plus, who wants ugly cables runnng around their house?

Have fun deciding on a hobby.... You could always lean Photoshop, and make an interest website of people without clothes

Blog Entries
    The USB 'scope will keep you entertained for hours on end B0bKat, hey Paton, you means THESE kinda wireZ????
    lol It's temporary, gotta add change some drops,hopefully tomorrow they boobooed. Til then, I'm practicing my wc limbo

Quote Originally Posted by bob clark
    I thought WiFi was for notebooks. I know you can hook up a PC to a notebook using Wifi but can you connect two PCs via Wifi?
    Every computer in our house is connected via WiFi - one Windows PC (desktop), one Apple Powerbook (laptop), and one Apple Powermac (desktop). Paton's right - just think of it as an elimination of cables. Another analogy cordless phones - just substitute a voice line for a data line, and substitute a handset for a computer. Same concept.

Nice floors Cpn. I got carpet, But yha, like Those cables.

Just remember.... For the love of god, DO NOT USE WEP, use WPA to secure you connection, and don't broadcast your ESSID, network name.

The first WEP I ever cracked took me 15 minutes! 64bit encryption, done a 128 in 1 1/2hrs, but i had a crappy signal.

Just remember.... For the love of god, DO NOT USE WEP, use WPA to secure you connection, and don't broadcast your ESSID, network name.
    depends where you live. around here it doesn't matter; my network has been unsecured for years.

Below is an excerpt from the Shownotes from Security Now! with Steve Gibson and Leo Laporte.

Steve: And so he's on. Now, that's not the same as being able to communicate from there on. But it turns out that, I mean, that's typical of the mistakes that were made. WEP, the WEP technology, is so badly broken that, given about an hour, it's possible to crack it for sure. Sometimes you crack it sooner; sometimes it takes a little bit longer. There are newer attacks which are able to stimulate the access point to generate much more traffic than it normally would in order to get it to give more samples of its use of the key, which then, using any freely downloadable software - I mean, there's like 10 or 15 different WEP decryption packages now, and people are spitting them out just because it's sort of fun sport.
    Transcript of Episode 11.