Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Security Updates of Microsoft Products for Macintosh: Office 2004, Office X, etc.

Security Updates of Microsoft Products for Macintosh: Office 2004, Office X, etc.

In any unusual move (because Microsoft seldom releases free updates), Microsoft just released a whole series of updates for their Office software for the Macintosh, including Office 2004, Office v. X, Office, 2001, Office 98, Virtual PC for the Mac, and other products. These are free updates, converters and other software. http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads.aspx

The updates for Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac 11.3.0 and Microsoft Office v. X for Mac 10.1.8 were released October 10, 2006 and enhances security and stability. While there were complaints from some people saying that they had trouble with using the Office 2004 11.3 update at version tracker http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/14980 , I didn't have any problems installing it on my computer and the updated program correctly indicates version 11.3 and it works. However, on MacFixit, some users continue to report problem (Source). There doesn't seem to be as much of a problem with the Office v. X update.

The security flaws that the updates address are regarded to have a maximum severity rating of critical for earlier versions of Office and a maximum severity rating of important for more recent versions of Office (Source). Given these ratings, I decided to go ahead and install the updates despite the problems reported by some Mac users. It is possible that the installation problems were successfully addressed by Microsoft because I had no problem whatsoever.

So far in 2006, Microsoft has released a record number of security updates, addressing no less than 44 distinct vulnerabilities in the Office program. Most of these have been labelled "critical", "meaning that bad guys can install malicious programs on your machine just by convincing you to open a poisoned document or spreadsheet. By comparison, Microsoft issued just six updates to fix problems in Office last year" (Source). It is particularly interesting that Microsoft released all this update code for the Macintosh as well because the Mac has been less of a target for hackers.

It seems that people who have Windows versions of Office should update their software. Apparently, there is an XML bug that is potentially very serious for all Windows operating systems and that attackers could exploit this vulnerability to compromise Windows machiens just by convincing users to visit a malicious web site (Source). In addition, Windows users should patch a flow in Explorer that "criminals have been exploiting to compromise Windows computers over the past few weeks". Apparently, network problems prevent automatic updating by the programs themselves (Source).

There's always NeoOffice http://www.neooffice.org/

It's opensource, free, and holeproof It's Word, Excel, Powerpoint- everything. I've found it just as functional as Microsoft Office.

Same as openoffice for PC http://openoffice.org

Hi Wise,

Where do you find the hours in the day? I don't imagine that you sleep very much.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Quote Originally Posted by bob clark
    Hi Wise,

Where do you find the hours in the day? I don't imagine that you sleep very much.
    I was wondering the same......... or is it perhaps just a cunning way of avoiding the washing up!

I use Microsoft Word, Excel, and Powerpoint a lot for my work. Like all tools that I use, I take pains to keep up to date and make sure that I understand how to use the tools. Since I did the research on the software, I thought that I would share it on CareCure.

Wise.

It is a good idea to get in the habit of checking/doing your Office Updates. I did my Microsoft Office updates about one month ago and today there were three more critical flaws that needed to be patched. You will need your office CDs in order to do the updates.

Blog Entries
    I would TRASH the micr0sux software and download Open Office for Macs, by NOVELL. It is free and cross-platform compatible. And you won't be patching security flaws by the dozens regularly. It is not a resource hog like microsux software either.

http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/download/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by CapnGimp
    I would TRASH the micr0sux software and download Open Office for Macs, by NOVELL. It is free and cross-platform compatible. And you won't be patching security flaws by the dozens regularly. It is not a resource hog like microsux software either.

http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/download/index.html

Thanks for the reference Capn....I've been AVOIDING MicroSQUASH at all costs for my Mac....What's the point of going Mac if you're going to foul it with MicroCrap? ANYWAY, I've got the Mac iLife 05 program(never upgraded to 06) but I haven't mastered the programs...to be honest I haven't put in more than about 45 minutes to figure it out....But I'll give the NOVELL Open Office program a shot...the fact that it's an "Office" titled program is promising to my psyche....
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Office updates seem to keep up pretty good with revised spam mail filters that the ISP's cant nab, so I like 'em. Seems almost like a hobby for people out there to find holes in MS products at times, eh? I guess such is the nature of the most-used beast. I think if Mac or other software was more popular we would be hearing of various holes in them as well, but MS is a bigger target I think.

Blog Entries

Smile

Actually it's the Open Source concept that KEEPS it secure. MS is just poorly written applications and OS, THAT is why there are holes to be found. To each his own poison. ME, I'll take the free, non-buggy OS and apps anyday.
    FWIW, MS has to adapt to the Oasis Open Document format (ISO/IEC 26300) that the world has adopted as standard. Novell and Koffice are already there as are a few other Open Source office suites.
    It's your money, if ya want to keep throwing it down a hole.
    I also tried the RC1 beta of Vista. With only the OS loaded, it took 8.5 gigabytes!!! and used 450 MB of memory with a HUGE page file. I took it off immediately. I can run Ubuntu Linux with less than 4 GB partition with EVERY application I can think of using, and have room to spare. It idles at less than 200MB in memory with NO page file. I have yet to have a page file with a multitude of apps running with only 1 gig of ram.
    I have bought my last game that can only be ran on MS OSes. When we quit playing them, it will be adios XP, no mas MS.
    Gone are the days of spending money on anything but hardware and an ISP.
    LINUX and Open Source....where the world is headed.