Thread: rental cars with hand controls?

rental cars with hand controls?

How easy is it to hire rental cars with hand controls in the USA? In England it's difficult - most companies don't seem to know what you are on about!

It's pretty easy here. Most if not all american rental companies now have cars with hand controls. I can call up and usually can get the car the same day.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

As long as you give a certain ammt of notice(I BELIEVE it's 48hrs, but am not sure, might be 7 days) the rental car companies are required to provide you with a vehicle with hand controls. Sometimes it's not in the "class" that you've made the reservation for, so they'll upgrade you, but if this is the case they CAN NOT charge you the higher rental rate...
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Quote Originally Posted by Broknwing
    As long as you give a certain ammt of notice(I BELIEVE it's 48hrs, but am not sure, might be 7 days) the rental car companies are required to provide you with a vehicle with hand controls.
    24 hrs is the only notice I've ever seen on websites or been told when I've spoken to rental companies. 48 hrs would be safer though and always, ALWAYS call back the day that you are picking up the car to confirm that everything is right.

I've rented cars from many different companies from all over the country and the only problem I've ever had (other than the company losing my reservation completely) was when Hertz in Miami had some personnel changes and they suddenly forgot that yes they can put hand controls onto a convertible Mustang.

C.

Avis advertises a 24 hour notice guarantee of accessible modifications for their vehicles. This applies to hand controls, left foot accelerator pedals, etc. but not to lift equipped vans.

(KLD)

Thanks guys - i feel a road trip coming on!