Thread: cooking/eating without iodine...help please!

cooking/eating without iodine...help please!

I'm having a hard time learning new ways to cook, now that I need to keep iodine low in my diet. Eating out is a freakin' minefield. I know that shrimp is out (sob), remembered too late that seaweed is out (no more veggie sushi double sob). Salmon seems to be OK.

Iodine isn't listed on ingredient labels or nutritional charts. How am I supposed to figure it out? I've read that canned and frozen foods are high in it. This makes cooking a little inconvenient but not as bad as I was afraid of. The tough part is just keeping whole fresh foods in the house all the time. I need to avoid all preservatives/additives as much as possible.

When I get too much iodine, the hot flashes are merciless. Just horrible.

Any recipes? Suggestions? I also need advice on vitamins that aren't high in iodine. A lot of supplements seem to be based on kelp, or ocean minerals. What about condiments like soy sauce?

My endocrinologist has agreed that since the meds seem to work on my Graves disease we can keep managing my thyroid that way, instead of nuking it to death. I'm relieved for a few reasons...I don't feel strong enough for another medical procedure, I won't be sick/recovering from the nuking during the holidays, gets me one step closer to my goal of getting up to Kansas to visit my dad who is very ill.

So all I need to do now is avoid iodine, all preservatives, quit smoking, exercise, avoid stress. LMAO at that one in my life but that's another story.

FIrst, ditch the Iodized salt in your cabinet. Lower sodium varities will also have less iodine, since most iodine comes from the added salts (at least in processed foods). There are some Calcium supliments that are not Oyster shell based. You can buy non-iodized salt (actually, its cheaper, I had a friend in college that bought for that reason. Saving that 5 cents every 2 years really adds up, I suppose ). Freshwater fish should be better, depending on preparation methods. Geez, what puzzle
    BeeBee

Foods That Are Fine to Eat on a Low-Iodine Diet

• Fresh fruits and fruit juices, except rhubarb, maraschino cherries (if they contain Red Dye #3), and fruit cocktail with maraschino cherries.
    • Vegetables, preferably raw and fresh-cooked or frozen without salt. (But not skins of potatoes, soybeans, and, according to the NIH diet, some other beans like pinto, lima, navy, red kidney, cowpeas).
    • Unsalted nuts and unsalted nut butters.
    • Grain/cereal products in moderate amounts (see above).
    • Fresh chicken, beef, and other meats in moderate amounts (see above).
    • Sugar, jelly, honey, maple syrup, and unsulfured molasses.
    • Black pepper and fresh or dried herbs.
    • All vegetable oils. Salad dressings provided they contain only allowed ingredients.
    • Homemade foods (see the free Low-Iodine Cookbook from the ThyCa web site.
    • Cola, diet cola, lemonade, sodas (except those with Red Dye #3), non-instant coffee and tea, beer, wine, other alcohol.
    Source: http://www.thyca.org/rai.htm

Good lord,that's a bummer.Living in louisiana and no iodine would be tuff.I think you could make make jerky and dried fruits like banana chips.Hope some can give better advice.Take care and good luck.
    Be yourself!!!
    http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/vandamnwcbb/
    BMF Sports & LiftWithoutLimits
    Sponsored Athlete
    http://www.bmfsports.com/ATHLETES.php
    www.genegvd.com

Quote Originally Posted by betheny
    So all I need to do now is avoid iodine, all preservatives, quit smoking, exercise, avoid stress. LMAO at that one in my life but that's another story.
    Do you still get to breath??? I couldnt resist..... that is a long list.

At least you dont have to give up your sense of humor....I dont think I could come to these boards without you making me laugh!!!!

Hang in there
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Betheny, my sympathies on all the changes you're having to make. Just the dietary changes, or the quit smoking thing, or any of those one at a time would be a lot,but all at once???

That site that Roshni provided a link for was pretty amazing. I can't help you much with that. I should have been more specific about Debbie's particular problem. She is definitely allergic to seafood. She is definitely allergic to the dye used in some contrast x-rays (e.g Cat Scan with contrast) which contain iodine. She blisters when Betadine (contains iodine) is used on her skin. Thus, she has always been told she has an iodine allergy. However, now the experts are saying that may not be the case and an allergy to seafood combined with an allergy to dyes does not mean one is necessarily allergic to iodine. Certainly, Debbie can eat some iodine-containing foods without a problem, so that makes sense. Basically, she avoids what has been proven to cause a problem , and we are both wary of anything new that comes up that might present a problem.

About the supplements... some health food stores now have pretty nifty software programs which allow them to compile all your medical information, allergies, etc. and tell you what is best for you. Maybe let your fingers do the walking and see if you can find one in your area.

I hope you can find some stable ground soon so that you can enjoy the holidays and get to see your dad. I'm very sorry he's ill.

Take care.
    Last edited by Kendell; 10-11-2006 at 09:29 PM.