Thread: Looking for Handcycle

Looking for Handcycle

Hello,
    I am currently looking into a handcycle for my mom. She is a polio survivor and recently she had the oppertunity to ride a bike for the first time in her life. The only info she got on the bike was that they cost from $2000 to $5000. She is saving but I was wondering if anyone is aware of used ones for less. She is also possibly getting a grant for the purchase of a bike through the seminar she attended. She is 58, and had the time of her life. I hope that there are options out there. Please let me know if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks.

What kind is she looking for? One low to the ground with a lot of speeds or one that is about the same height as a chair with 7 speeds and a coaster brake? I would suggest doing a little bit of research on the website www.bike-on.com. They have both types of bikes for you to help make some decisions on what you would like/need. Then call Scott from bike-on. He has a classified section on there for "gently used" bikes, and he usually will keep his eye out for something that will suit you if you do not see anything on the classified section.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

hey Medic-
    If she's willing to buy used, I would suggest watching E-Bay...I was able to get mine on there for well under $500. I think I actually paid $250, I'd have to go back in my old threads here to verify that though...I've posted before how much it cost. A few others here have found great prices on E-Bay as well.
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Smile Thanks

Thanks for the ideas. She really has no idea what she wants, she just knows she would love to be able to ride a bike. I will check out E-bay and bike-on. We live on a dirt road so hopefully she will be able to use it out here. I have a recumbant bike, but it is too difficult to use out here, I have to have it brought to a harder surface like pavement. Anyway, thanks for the replies it gives me a good starting point.

Hi medic1, if your mom gets one, make sure it's secure. I had mine sent up to me from california a while back, and that night after riding it, I left in on my back deck while I made room for it inside my house.

One night, and somebody stole it they cut right through my crappy lock/chain.

Shame on me, I spose.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Thumbs up thanks for the tip

Thanks for the tip, but doubt anyone up here will steal it. Our closest neighbor is over 2 miles away, plus I doubt any one else up here would be bright enough to know how to work it. We just had three people break into an elderly lady's house, shut the plumbing off, then cut out the copper plumbing. They brought it to the local scrap yard to try and cash it in. What idiots!! But for sure we will be locking it up in the shed or in the house when ever we go riding. I can't wait to be able to ride a bike with my mom!