Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Power of Thought

As PR person,

I have to admit, that is the most highly produced infomercial
    I have ever seen. Would give Industrial Lights a run for its money!

J.
    And the truth shall set you free.

Quote Originally Posted by RehabRhino
    I watched the first 20 mins. My original assessment still stands. It's a glossily packaged bucket of shite.

.... edit....

But the very fact that the opening of the movie is voiced by someone whose life has fallen apart, whose father has died, shows where the personal development sharks epect their money to come from.

....edit....

- the internet just offers a new medium for clever marketeers who've given it a 'Da Vinci Code' makeover for a fresh audience.

It's like religion - if it helps you, so be it.

RehabRhino,

All these points you made, that I've left edited up above, are pretty much the same exact sentiments as mine. The opening of this film turns my gut quite a bit, which makes it very hard to recommend to anyone that has a half discerning skeptical brain, or they gotta have a shitload of patience. I probably would have never gotten through that opening sequence if it hadn't of been recommended by a weathered and insightful friend, who has been thru hell and back a few times, and understands pain.

Anyway, I'm only writing this to validate what you're saying. The philosophy of the film has helped me quite a bit, but I disagree with the style and way the producers introduce thier ideas. It only discredits an already shaky subject matter. But it's just like anything else in life, take what good you can and let the crap slide by. Of course I'd rather surround myself with a higher concentration of good so to not have to deal with any of the crap.

Quote Originally Posted by RehabRhino
    I was sceptical about his pseudo Scientology flick..

There in lies the shame/snag with all 'cult' religions and philosophies, they all have some good that the needy cling to, then they get swallowed up and transformed by the crap. Here in Hollywood, Scientology is everywhere, and rather frightening, giving direction to the mass of lost souls that filter thru here annually like a flock of migrating birds that forget to leave and return home. If it wasn't for my own 'strange desperation' of depression, career loss, death of father, and x-girlfriend getting cancer bla bla bla, I probably would have never been willing to watch and accept the possibilities of what 'The Secret' (damn I hate that name!) had to offer. I'm glad I did.

Why am I writing this, not exactly sure, very possibly because I'm a tad embarrassed about associating myself publicly with this film, because of all those very qualities you mentioned above, and possibly because I've read and identified with a few of your posts in the past, specifically the ones about keeping an exit strategy available for when necessary. I don't think many people really know how much that sucks to have to always have that door kept open in case you need it. Anyway enough said. If some weathered friend happens to mention they have a copy of this thing, think twice before telling them off, if the offer to lend it to you arrives. If not, I understand.

Chris
    Last edited by cljanney; 01-29-2007 at 06:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cljanney
    RehabRhino,

All these points you made, that I've left edited up above, are pretty much the same exact sentiments as mine. The opening of this film turns my gut quite a bit, which makes it very hard to recommend to anyone that has a half discerning skeptical brain, or they gotta have a shitload of patience. I probably would have never gotten through that opening sequence if it hadn't of been recommended by a weathered and insightful friend, who has been thru hell and back a few times, and understands pain.

Anyway, I'm only writing this to validate what you're saying. The philosophy of the film has helped me quite a bit, but I disagree with the style and way the producers introduce thier ideas. It only discredits an already shaky subject matter. But it's just like anything else in life, take what good you can and let the crap slide by. Of course I'd rather surround myself with a higher concentration of good so to not have to deal with any of the crap.

There in lies the shame/snag with all 'cult' religions and philosophies, they all have some good that the needy cling to, then they get swallowed up and transformed by the crap. Here in Hollywood, Scientology is everywhere, and rather frightening, giving direction to the mass of lost souls that filter thru here annually like a flock of migrating birds that forget to leave and return home. If it wasn't for my own 'strange desperation' of depression, career loss, death of father, and x-girlfriend getting cancer bla bla bla, I probably would have never been willing to watch and accept the possibilities of what 'The Secret' (damn I hate that name!) had to offer. I'm glad I did.

Why am I writing this, not exactly sure, very possibly because I'm a tad embarrassed about associating myself publicly with this film, because of all those very qualities you mentioned above, and possibly because I've read and identified with a few of your posts in the past, specifically the ones about keeping an exit strategy available for when necessary. I don't think many people really know how much that sucks to have to always have that door kept open in case you need it. Anyway enough said. If some weathered friend happens to mention they have a copy of this thing, think twice before telling them off, if the offer to lend it to you arrives. If not, I understand.

Chris
    Chris

I appreciate your intelligent defence(?)/review of the film. I think we agree on its style. I am less sceptical about its substance - as I said, the power of positive thought/action is something I do believe in.

What I object to is this being packaged up as some massive secret and aggressively marketed as something which I don't believe it is. I am intrigued to see more after your comments about the first 20 mins though
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

I don´t know really why, but flashes of Tony Robbins arise out of some abyss.

"Transform your body into the lean, vibrant machine it was designed to be"

Umm...right.

I´d rather follow Twiki around and murmur " Meeny, meeny, meeny, meeny!" till I achieved nirvana.

Last edited by Mike C; 01-29-2007 at 06:59 PM.
    "So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

If you got any more of these up your sleeve, pull'um out!

Great stuff!

Yea I figured you would enjoy that. Let me see what else I can find.

Quote Originally Posted by cljanney
    If you got any more of these up your sleeve, pull'um out!

Great stuff!
    Yes. It was good. I liked science at school but it all gets complicated. That was well explained
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Glad to see you guys worked it all out. And I agree, that was really cool.
    -------7-23-04----------
    C5/6- Workin' on Recovery
    www.darrentempleton.com
    www.pushtowalknj.org

FYI - Oprah will be interviewing the director, Drew Heriot, of "The Secret" on the Thursday February 8th broadcast of her show.

This was told to me by a friend that knows the director, but I checked oprah.com and there was no mention of it yet. Just thought I'd pass the word for those interested.

Christopher