Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Power of Thought

QuadPro,
    Just to let you know, I've seen this film, own it, and have watched it over half a dozen times. It was one of the greatest factors in pulling me out of the hard holding depression that followed my injury for 4 years.

I understand people's reluctance towards that mind frame of beliefs or thinking. It challenges a clear scientific 'reality' based sense of logic. For example, I used to be an extreme atheist and now I'm agnostic. I became agnostic upon realizing that I can't make any 'real' judgments until I 'know' the 'real truth'. I have a greater willingness to understand either side of most issues now because of that. This film falls into that category for me as well. I have taken from it what serves me best and still keep myself open to the possibilities of everything else it suggests unless I discover otherwise. You'll even notice the quote I use in my signature, which I strongly believe in, is mentioned in the film.

A lot of great things started immediately changing for the better in my life when I decided I had nothing to loose and tried to fully immerse myself in the state of being suggested. I find when I'm out of that state progression slows down and I'm not as excited about the day's challenges.

People's remarks on the substance of the film without ever seeing it should simply be ignored. Anything that challenges people's beliefs systems are going to be met with understandable difficulty.

The main reason I never suggested this film before was because of the exampled used about paralysis, "The Miracle Man". It's one of my biggest problems with the film. I believe most people in the world are ignorant to the fact that only 10% of some one's spinal cord has to be left intact to be able to be ambulatory again after injury. So people that walk out of hospitals 8 months after being told 'they would never be able to walk again' are labeled as 'miracles' or are 'incredibly self determined'. This leaves everyone else in a pile of crap. I don't hold the makers of the film accountable for this lack of knowledge, but I have a hard time recommending it to anyone with SCI because of that.

I will say this, I discovered this film right after I found out my x-girlfriend was diagnosed with breast cancer. We practiced the philosophy of the film everyday regularly throughout the day and within a month her tumor had shrunk in half! I was trying to persuade her to continue on her own without surgery unless the tumor showed signs of growth, but she wanted it out and I understood and respected her decision, as I had just lost my father two months previous to cancer. There are a list of other examples that proved to me the value of this film. But to each their own. Those that are curious might take a look, and try it out, and discover for themselves what works and what doesn't. For me it was and still is a welcome change to helping me adjust my mindset and emotional state of being.

Funny thing is, my Dad's wife sent a box of his belongings to me the same day I started watching The Secret, and in it is was one of my favorite books about self determinism, As Man Thinketh by James Allen. This book was written about a hundred years ago and it's basic premise is "that you are what you think" so sow your seeds of thought carefully. This film just makes it a lot easier for me to sow the best and richest seeds I can.

Don't expect everyone to 'jump on the boat' with this one. But I appreciate and respect you for bringing it up, maybe some others will as well eventually

Cheers,
    Christopher
    Last edited by cljanney; 01-26-2007 at 05:00 AM. Reason: spelling... I hate it!

cljanney, regarding openness to the movie's message, I have a response that's seemingly circuitious involving the quotes I plastered here and in Science & Technology a while back:

...the human brain is characterized by some 10 to the 13th power, synapses (a 1 followed by thirteen zeros)... The answer must be that all possible brain states are by no means occupied; there must be an emormous number of mental configurations that have never been entered or even glympsed by any human being in the history of mankind. From this perspective, each human being is truly rare and different and the sanctity of individual human life is a plausable ethical consequence.

From Carl Sagan's "The Dragons of Eden"
    and:

Quote:
    ...neurons make contact with other neurons at points called synapses. Each neuron make anywhere from a thousand to ten thousand synapses with other neurons. These can be either on or off, excitatory or inhibitory. That is, some neurons turn on the juices to fire things up, whereas others release juices that calm everything down, in an ongoing dance of staggering complexity. A piece of your brain the size of a grain of sand would contain one hundred throusand neurons, two million axons and a billion synapses, all "talking to" each other. Given these figures, it's been estimated that the number of possible brain states - the number of permutations and combinations of activity that are theoretically possible - exceeds the number of elementary particles in the universe.
    Quote: Quote:
    Phantoms in the Brain: Probing the Mysteries of the Human Mind (Hardcover)
    by V. S. Ramachandran, Sandra Blakeslee
    The insight I take from these two factoids is awe inspiring: that we are not only unique, each and every one of us, but are embryonic in our mental potential. I'm not refering here to the oft stated and mistaken notion that the vast majority of our brains are in a state of disuse. Rather, I'm refering to the idea, supported by the realities of mind/brain configurations, that possible mental states are virtually unlimited; that there are mental states of wonderfully complexity and potential that are possible but are yet to have been entered into.

From this point of view, each of us contains/retains these potential mental states within them and the ethical consequence of this is that individual human life (and mental states) deserves and needs to be safeguarded.

An obvious extension of this mind-view is that the message of the film will be palatable to some and not to others and that this is a dynamic situation.

Hope that made some sense.
    Last edited by Juke_spin; 01-27-2007 at 01:30 PM.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Juke Spin,

I love both of those quotes!

And the onward journey of the exploration of life and it's amazing potential, ability, and complexity. The more that is discovered the more I am humbled, but ultimately excited.

Phantoms in the Brain should be a part of every high school science class. A real peek into the mysteries of the mind and it's relationship with it's self. It's one of those reads that makes the mystery of our being wind up upon it's self, but still shows you the way out in understanding, a great and tangible 'who done it' work of science/art, in my opinion.

I enjoy reading your posts, you have a curious and eloquent mind.

An obvious extension of this mind-view is that the message of the film will be palatable to some and not to others and that this is a dynamic situation.
    Well said!

Cheers,
    Christopher

Quote Originally Posted by QuadPro

Let me know what you think.
    You wanted feedback you fucking idiot
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Quote Originally Posted by RehabRhino
    Rehab, are you drunk? It is so unlike yourself to be so rude.
    This is so not your usual self.

Many people of whose intelligence I think highly have recommended I watch this movie. I haven´t yet, but I will.

Quote Originally Posted by Cripply
    Rehab, are you drunk? It is so unlike yourself to be so rude.
    This is so not your usual self.
    Cripply, I wondered the same thing about Rhino. What's up, Paul, you feelin guilty about your avatar theft. Maybe putting the rhino in the crosshairs wasn't such a good idea?

Many people of whose intelligence I think highly have recommended I watch this movie. I haven´t yet, but I will.
    Not to quibble, cripply, but you neglected the "of" after "intelligence". Makes us wonder.
    J.B.S.Haldane

Quote Originally Posted by Juke_spin
    Cripply, I wondered the same thing about Rhino. That's up, Paul, you feelin guilty about your avatar theft.

Not to quibble, cripply, but you neglected the "of" after "intelligence". Makes us wonder.
    Hehe
    Are you on drugs?

People of whose intelligence I think highly
    OR
    People of whom I value their intelligence highly,
    OR
    People the intelligence of whom I value highly...

But cannot have OF in both places, dude!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cripply
    Hehe
    Are you on drugs?

People of whose intelligence I think highly
    OR
    People of whom I value their intelligence highly,
    OR
    People the intelligence of whom I value highly...

But cannot have OF in both places, dude!!
    Hey, when you're right, you're right. I shoulda realized that a former medical whatever-it-was-you-were wouldn't have made such a blatant a mistake.

Sorry, no drugs. Maybe I need some.
    J.B.S.Haldane

Quote Originally Posted by RehabRhino
    Listen you Limp Dick Bastard, I already told you once but since you insist I will tell you again. Go fuck yourself in the ass.
    Last edited by QuadPro; 01-26-2007 at 12:40 PM.