Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Power of Thought

Quote Originally Posted by cljanney
    QuadPro,
    Just to let you know, I've seen this film, own it, and have watched it over half a dozen times. It was one of the greatest factors in pulling me out of the hard holding depression that followed my injury for 4 years.

I understand people's reluctance towards that mind frame of beliefs or thinking. It challenges a clear scientific 'reality' based sense of logic. For example, I used to be an extreme atheist and now I'm agnostic. I became agnostic upon realizing that I can't make any 'real' judgments until I 'know' the 'real truth'. I have a greater willingness to understand either side of most issues now because of that. This film falls into that category for me as well. I have taken from it what serves me best and still keep myself open to the possibilities of everything else it suggests unless I discover otherwise. You'll even notice the quote I use in my signature, which I strongly believe in, is mentioned in the film.

A lot of great things started immediately changing for the better in my life when I decided I had nothing to loose and tried to fully immerse myself in the state of being suggested. I find when I'm out of that state progression slows down and I'm not as excited about the day's challenges.

People's remarks on the substance of the film without ever seeing it should simply be ignored. Anything that challenges people's beliefs systems are going to be met with understandable difficulty.

The main reason I never suggested this film before was because of the exampled used about paralysis, "The Miracle Man". It's one of my biggest problems with the film. I believe most people in the world are ignorant to the fact that only 10% of some one's spinal cord has to be left intact to be able to be ambulatory again after injury. So people that walk out of hospitals 8 months after being told 'they would never be able to walk again' are labeled as 'miracles' or are 'incredibly self determined'. This leaves everyone else in a pile of crap. I don't hold the makers of the film accountable for this lack of knowledge, but I have a hard time recommending it to anyone with SCI because of that.

I will say this, I discovered this film right after I found out my x-girlfriend was diagnosed with breast cancer. We practiced the philosophy of the film everyday regularly throughout the day and within a month her tumor had shrunk in half! I was trying to persuade her to continue on her own without surgery unless the tumor showed signs of growth, but she wanted it out and I understood and respected her decision, as I had just lost my father two months previous to cancer. There are a list of other examples that proved to me the value of this film. But to each their own. Those that are curious might take a look, and try it out, and discover for themselves what works and what doesn't. For me it was and still is a welcome change to helping me adjust my mindset and emotional state of being.

Funny thing is, my Dad's wife sent a box of his belongings to me the same day I started watching The Secret, and in it is was one of my favorite books about self determinism, As Man Thinketh by James Allen. This book was written about a hundred years ago and it's basic premise is "that you are what you think" so sow your seeds of thought carefully. This film just makes it a lot easier for me to sow the best and richest seeds I can.

Don't expect everyone to 'jump on the boat' with this one. But I appreciate and respect you for bringing it up, maybe some others will as well eventually

Cheers,
    Christopher
    Thanks Cljanney, I share your same view with the movie and the Miracle Man part. But the message over all is great. And that book As a man thinketh is great too. I'm glad you have benefited from the movie.

I just don't like when clowns like Rehabrhino reply with insults when I have never said two words to him. And its not like I'm recommending something thats bad for you. But whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Cripply
    Rehab, are you drunk? It is so unlike yourself to be so rude.
    This is so not your usual self.
    No...I just don't tolerate idiots well. QuadPro posted about this, asked for feedback, didn't state his own opinion on it and then told me to 'go fuck myself' and not post in his thread when my opinion differed from his.

If somebody told me to 'go fuck myself' in real life that is the kind of reply they would get. Look at his latest response...........the guy is screaming at his keyboard because I was sceptical about his pseudo Scientology flick. I'd be prepare to debate it intelligently without rudeness or swearing but I don't think he has it in him. I may have been flippant with my first comment but if you post on a public message board you need to be prepared for opposing views.

I agree with you about the intelligent responses from divin darren and cjlanney both are guys I respect so each to their own. If the film helped them it was $5 well spent. My own opinion of it still stands.
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Quote Originally Posted by RehabRhino
    Wow..........snake oil salesmen and charlatans have stepped up their production values. Guess there's plenty of dumb fuckers parting with $5.

From what I can read here....You started the whole thing by calling me a dumb fucker for paying $5 to watch this flick. So don't try to play little miss innocent when I disrespect you for disrespecting me.

Quote Originally Posted by QuadPro
    From what I can read here....You started the whole thing by calling me a dumb fucker for paying $5 to watch this flick. So don't try to play little miss innocent when I disrespect you for disrespecting me.
    Actually I didn't specifically mean you, I was trying to allude to the fact that con artists have stepped up the quality of the con. I appreciate it was a bit ambiguous so I apologise
    C5/6 incomplete

Quote Originally Posted by RehabRhino
    Actually I didn't specifically mean you, I was trying to allude to the fact that con artists have stepped up the quality of the con. I appreciate it was a bit ambiguous so I apologise

I apologise as well then.

Well I don't!!!! Go fuck you both!

kidding... couldn't help myself

Quote Originally Posted by cljanney
    Well I don't!!!! fuck you both!
    This is the best post in this thread!

J.
    And the truth shall set you free.

You can read it for free online.

http://www.asamanthinketh.net/

Movie is also reviewed at Wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret_(film)

You can watch the first 20 min. of the flick for free at google video.

The Secret: First 20 minutes
    Last edited by Mike C; 01-28-2007 at 09:22 PM.
    "So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C
    You can read it for free online.

http://www.asamanthinketh.net/

Movie is also reviewed at Wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret_(film)

You can watch the first 20 min. of the flick for free at google video.

The Secret: First 20 minutes
    Hey, Joe, I think that this is the best post of the thread.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

OK. Now we've established that this thread isn't personal.

I watched the first 20 mins. My original assessment still stands. It's a glossily packaged bucket of shite.

I don't disagree with the premise of the power of positive thought or that positive things happen to positive people (by the way, negative things happen to them as well).

But the very fact that the opening of the movie is voiced by someone whose life has fallen apart, whose father has died, shows where the personal development sharks epect their money to come from.

15 years ago this would have been called '101 Ways to Become a Millionaire' and advertised in the back of newspapers - the internet just offers a new medium for clever marketeers who've given it a 'Da Vinci Code' makeover for a fresh audience.

It's like religion - if it helps you, so be it.
    C5/6 incomplete