Thread: SCI vs. Parkisons

SCI vs. Parkisons

I just watched The E! True Hollywood Story of Michael J. Fox and his fight to cure Parkinson's. There was a clipping from when he was on Larry King and Larry had asked him about ESC and Michael responded by saying "anything is possible, i cant rule that out". So im curious....is SCI easier to cure than Parkinson's considering one is an injury and the other is a disease.

In addition to this he has raised over 80 million dollars for research and said he believes towards the END ( ) of his life that this will be solved. I know that we continuously hear about how stem cells can cure SCI as well as Parkinson's over and over again but there not in the same arena??? i just don't want to think SCI will be cured at the end of our lives too. Granted i believe in the cure but this left me confused. i do however understand they are very different.

Quote Originally Posted by spidergirl
    I just watched The E! True Hollywood Story of Michael J. Fox and his fight to cure Parkinson's. There was a clipping from when he was on Larry King and Larry had asked him about ESC and Michael responded by saying "anything is possible, i cant rule that out". So im curious....is SCI easier to cure than Parkinson's considering one is an injury and the other is a disease.

In addition to this he has raised over 80 million dollars for research and said he believes towards the END ( ) of his life that this will be solved. I know that we continuously hear about how stem cells can cure SCI as well as Parkinson's over and over again but there not in the same arena??? i just don't want to think SCI will be cured at the end of our lives too. Granted i believe in the cure but this left me confused. i do however understand they are very different.
    Spidergirl,

Parkinson's disease causes progressive damage to the brain, starting usually with the dopaminergic neurons. Therefore, the main goal of Parkinson's research is to find the cause and stop the progressive damage. For many people, Parkinson's disease is slow and may take many years. Thus, there has been also attempts to replace the dopaminergic neurons that have been lost. Note that it is possible to pharmacologically (with drugs) to eliminate some of the symptoms of Parkinson's disease and this usually works for a decade or more in most people. However, as the number of dopaminergic neurons decline, the drugs stop working.

For nearly two decades now, researchers have been putting dopaminergic neurons obtained from aborted fetuses into the brain. Hundreds or perhaps even thousands of people have had such transplants. In some people, it has significantly reduced the amount of drug they have to take. However, one study suggest that it may aggravate the disease. I know of one group in Canada (Dr. Ivar Menendez in Halifax) that is doing very impressive work improving the procedure and gettiing very good results in some patients (
    Source
    ).

Wise.