Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Money for Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by David Berg
    What really annoys me about House is how all the other doctors on the show talk about his use of Vicoden as an addiction rather than a dependency. There's a huge difference, e.g. a diabetic is dependent on insulin, not addicted.
    It's such a fine line I'm no longer sure it exists. Yes, he is physically dependent. He's also stealing drugs from dead people, which is addictive behavior. If he doesn't get them he will get deathly ill...dependency. When he gets them he takes them by the handful...addiction.

I wish there were better pain meds than opiates that you grow tolerant to.

Great tv show. I like Tuesdays now, with Friday Night Lights and House.

I hate when doctors act like they are doing you some sort of favor by prescribing pain meds. I like to see doctors that have something in common with me. For example, I prefer females and with patients that also have spinal cord injury. My doctor's husband is also a doctor in a wheelchair with SCI due to a motorcycle accident. She doesnt over prescribe but she doesnt hesitate to give me what I need. Usually if she suggests something it works....

My Pain doctor was more interested in the book I was reading rather than getting my meds adjusted..... I didnt like her 18 years ago and she hasnt changed now. She was my doctor at the rehab hospital I was sent to. Now she only does chronic pain.

Being dependent is different than being addicted. An addicted person can function and live "so to speak" without drugs. A dependent person cannot. When the pain is interfering with daily life...it is time to treat it no matter what you have to resort to. Nobody should be miserable.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by betheny
    It's such a fine line I'm no longer sure it exists. Yes, he is physically dependent. He's also stealing drugs from dead people, which is addictive behavior. If he doesn't get them he will get deathly ill...dependency. When he gets them he takes them by the handful...addiction.

I wish there were better pain meds than opiates that you grow tolerant to.

Great tv show. I like Tuesdays now, with Friday Night Lights and House.
    That's just part of how they're portraying the drugs, making them look like a bad thing. I haven't seen him stealing drugs, but I have seen the episodes where his legitimate supply is being cut off and he has a cop after him for using them (not sure of the whole back-story there).

You could say people who use illegal drugs are illustrating addictive behavior, but MJ is an excellent example where you have people with a legitimate medical need who willingly break the law for a medication with an effect they need. I've never used illegal drugs of any sort, not even as a teen in the '70s, but I'm outraged at the politicians and bureaucrats who insist that MJ offers no medical benefit. I'm thoroughly convinced we have the pharma lobby to thank for that.

Mike Griffin, head of NASA, called the recent shuttle trip to the ISS a “fantastic success”. We wonder what adjectives he would use if a huge chunk of foam hadn’t broken off again from one of the boosters. The official NASA website was, surprise, surprise, laudatory, and here is the top paragraph at their OFFICIAL site.:

"The space shuttle, the most complex machine ever built, is the only orbiting spacecraft with its robust capacity. The shuttle's capacity enables humans today to build the world's largest orbiting laboratory, paving the way back to the moon, on to Mars, and further into the universe".

You cannot cut and paste this statement. It is embedded into the picture of
    the site. It was written I suppose by a former infomercial writer, who sidelines writing descriptions of rental movie covers.

"Robust" means that it can produce 13 tons of garbage in less than a year with only two people. NASA needs to hire Richard Simmons as a consultant. Passing on the fact that "laboratories" usually perform scientific experiments and the ISS does not, and that we have already been to the moon for the qualifying round of the NASA golf tournament, we are unclear how going back to the moon helps us go to Mars. Sort of like leaving Miami, and going through McMurdo Sound helps us get to New York.

The shuttle will stop “enabling” us to go to Mars and further into the universe in 2010 when it is due to be phased out. Now as to “the most complex machine ever built”, as I was chatting with the shuttle’s top design engineer, we are not so sure. That may go to the nervous system. Or even the most minute part of the nervous system of the most primitive life on Earth, that troubled body we are going into space to save???????., (ignoring the fact that the Earth is already in space). Yes, it is true, having worn out the “to discover how life began in the universe” chant, NASA is now going into space “to save Earth”. Considering that the shuttle’s air would have been exhausted by Wednesday, that seems a little high spoken, like NASA is writing checks it cannot cash. Those of us here in the “hood”, the third planet from the sun, wonder why they are dissing us homies by blowing all the cash like a bunch of elite CEO’s. In grade school, we thought “higher math” must meant adding and subtracting bigger numbers. We knew nothing of calculus then. The designer of the shuttle said the shuttle is certainly expensive, because it uses so much of what it uses. However, as to the complexity, he claims anyone with a grasp of high school physics, a good kiln, some oxygen and hydrogen, a 1K computer, and some metal from the Blackbird could do it. (They would also need some foam) So maybe it is just the most expensive machine to operate ever built.

As to paving the way back to the moon, the designer of the shuttle, who agrees the current business is a huge waste of money (at least two billion per flight), says no paving equipment was built into the shuttle, so it must be a metaphor, just like saying the “world’s largest orbiting laboratory” since there is only one horse in that race, and he isn't doing anything usually done in a laboratory. This is what we need, metaphorical laboratories, doing expensive metaphorical experiments that will benefit mankind metaphorically.

The designer of the shuttle, who has had a stroke, fervently wishes space money were being spent on the nervous system. He has even become an amateur neuroscientist, working up theories of how the brain controls must work and how damaged ones might be bypassed. I live in one of those pork barrel states which rakes in huge amounts of money building parts for NASA. This will not allow you to locate me since AL:L states have a piece of the pork pie.

We do not however have in this state anyone seriously researching basic neuroscience. For that, you would have to go to Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, New York, or maybe Toronto, London, or any town above 30,000 in Germany. In other words, our state is smart. We know where the money is. You may remember Willie Sutton, a famous bankrobber during the Depression, who when asked why he robbed banks, replied “Cause that’s where the money is”.

I went through a local high school and found beautiful photomurals from NASA plastered all over the walls in the science building. They were almost as impresive as the ones Pol Pot, Hitler, Stalin, and Mao Tse Tung put up in high schools in other countries. None of those rebel teenagers with piercings and Ipods would think to question that NASA is God. I did NOT see in the science bulding any pictures of the man who discovered penicillin, the solider who cured Yellow Fever, Madame Curie, or Hippocrates. Also missing were pictures of John Bonica, who invented the epidural block, or any medical scientist of any kind.

It is not only politically incorrect to mention religion now, it is politically incorrect to mention any science except space science. How did Earth get this inferiority complex that makes us link to space. It must be because we realize how stupid earthlings are to spend our fortune on things which will not benefit mankind.

The central pain continues, and while I love to watch big planes land, I would rather have something that could transport me away from the burning. It would probably be some colorless liquid, with invisible molecules. Just like the invisible molecules which cause my nervous system to burn like there is acid under the skin, or as Alan said, like the skin has been grated off.

I wonder what the inmates at Auschwitz thought of space travel. I wonder what I think of it. I spend a lot of time thinking God lives at the pain research center at NIH. It is located in space, local space, and we all know heaven is in space, so God might just be there. If He is, he better get one of those pristine white spacesuits or we will miss Him entirely.
    Last edited by dejerine; 12-23-2006 at 12:36 PM.

You mean you have no plans to visit the George W. Bush Moon Colony? You should go just for the scenery.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

THAT'S THE WAY YOU DO IT (If you have them by the school children, their hearts and minds will follow)

NASA head Michel Griffith is a first class pitch man. Recently, he gave an "I have a dream" type of speech, where he said essentially that the destiny of Americans is to become a "spacefaring" people who would go to a better place, or some other place--I can't remember the exact wording. The point is that America is so great that we better high tail it out of this filthy polluted cesspool as soon as possible. he has been watching one too many Apocalyptic sci fi movies, it would appear. This sort of thing happens whenever abandoned garbage barges build up on the Atlantic beaches or the Iraq war is not going well, which is pretty much constant. "Spacefaring" is kind of a big word, just like space is kind of big. Well, of course, it takes light years to get anywhere, but the idea that Americans are a a superior people, leaders in everything, is inspirational although slightly chauvinistic.

Like the many hospitals who hire cheap onstaff doctors aggressivly from Guangdong Province and Bangladesh, Djibouti etc and then advertise by showing beauty queens in nursing outfits and actors in doctors uniforms personally doing high tech robotics, while at the same time they personally wheel invalid elders down the hall or vaccinate cute children, NASA also has a Public Relations orientation, putting them in your living room. Maybe those of us interested in getting funding for pain research could take a lesson.

Consider for example the bio on Barbara Morgan at the NASA website. She will be going up in space sometime soon. Here is an excerpt:

"EXPERIENCE: Morgan began her teaching career in 1974 on the Flathead Indian Reservation at Arlee Elementary School in Arlee, Montana, where she taught remedial reading and math. From 1975-1978, she taught remedial reading/math and second grade at McCall-Donnelly Elementary School in McCall, Idaho. From 1978-1979, Morgan taught English and science to third graders at Colegio Americano de Quito in Quito, Ecuador. From l979-l998, she taught second, third, and fourth grades at McCall-Donnelly Elementary School."

The director of NASA is said to be jealous of "automatic" commitment to health research funding, so he is going to appeal to grade school children to help push NASA into the public's approval. This is emotional science. Actually tinkering with children's brains should include brain research but that is not part of NASA's plan.

NASA is science's physics and engineering health food supplement and cola wars division.

There has been serious talk of NASA using Captain Kirk or Star Trek stars to help pitch the word, or even Jean Luc Picard. Grade schoolers pester their parents for all kinds of things. Seven hundred dollar game consoles for example. For now, NASA will include Barbara Morgan. From her credentials it is obvious that we are using the very most highly trained scientists to conduct the high grade scientific experiments on the shuttle missions. Teaching remedial reading is a tough job and prepares you for just about anything. Also time in Ecuador guarantees you to be an iron clad techo marvel. If youre are an American and can stay alive in Ecuador among the drug lords, you must have something going for you.

Anyone who thinks NASA is elitist, spending big money only on the top execs (and NASA has few bottom execs) can be relieved to see that while this may be true for highly paid administrators, the people actually doing the work on the shuttle are just homies and are just SO likely to discover how life began in the universe.

In the meantime, I think we should try to recruit to pitch for money for pain research Ashton Kutcher, If NASA is going to punk the US public for billions of bucks, then why not use the punkmeister himself to help us out of our problem. Maybe we could award a new Armani outfit to Alan or me, even though we cannot wear clothing. That should be a good joke, and help the public relate.

Better yet, maybe we could show pictures of our children, and have them say on TV, "MY MOM is is agonizing pain, will you help?
    __________________________________________________ __

I guess NASA is going to send Extreme Makeover to the moon to finally build some decent housing. "ASTRONAUT, MOVE THAT SHUTTLE!" The humble uneducated but worthy folk doing the exquisitely complicated scientific experiments that they could only dream of on the Flathead Indian Reservation will FINALLY have rooms painted with a cellular biochemistry theme, reverse transcriptase lab, or even their own spectrophotometers, with pictures of Watson and Crick all over to inspire. Why have we waited so long to provide the inspiration necessary to solve the question of how life began in the universe?Next, NASA could figure out where Jimmy Hoffa is buried--there are a lot of places out there to look.
    Last edited by dejerine; 01-20-2007 at 01:41 PM.

Given the kidnap allegations against one of their astronauts, someone at NASA suggested that funds be allocated to study space stress during flight. Yeah, right. If it's stress they want, there are plenty of subjects in any pain clinic.
    Last edited by dejerine; 02-09-2007 at 01:08 AM.

Billionaire Software developer Simon Says spent 25 million dollars to spend one week at NIH studying pain. Home and prison decorating guru Martha Stewart was in Bethesda to witness the event. He received backslaps from those already studying pain at NIH and then Simon served them a gourmet meal he had brought, with ingredients selected by Martha Stewart. The menu, including quail marinated in wine. Mr. Says, who said he just went to NIH because he wanted to see pain solved performed duties in a high grade scientific experient which included measuring radiation levels and study of microorganisms in the lab. This study consisted on pasting Martha Stewart labels on the petri dishes and will be reported in Space Technology next month. He said the 25 million fee (four times the annual budget of the six pain PhD's at NIDCR) was well worth it and he could see people on earth clearer than he ever imagined. I bet NASA, the taxpayer funded space travel agency for rich people, wishes they could get this kind of interest.

NASA needs this kind of money to replace hacked data. Robert Cobb, inspector general from the Integrity Committee, was found to be emailng the people he was supposed to audit with advance headsup information and playing gofl with NASA bigwigs. In one email he addresses the NASA head as "Moose" and arranges for a round of golf, suggesting an undue familiarity. The Washington Post said, "IG auditor Carroll Tom Hassell described how "a person in a South American country" over three days in late 2002 logged into the Marshall Space Flight Center's supposedly secure computer system, stole space shuttle data valued at $1.9 billion and shipped it to a third country. The complaint said Cobb's office refused to report the theft to the Commerce Department as an illegal transfer of intellectual property." This scandal is why Simon Says decided to visit NIH instead of some NASA facility.

Word from Mr. Says: If anyone messes with Martha while he is gone, he will put on NASA high tech diapers allowing him to drive cross country without stopping to urinate, and bring his hammer, so hands off Martha, especially if your name is Donald Trump.
    Last edited by dejerine; 04-09-2007 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dejerine
    "The space shuttle, the most complex machine ever built, is the only orbiting spacecraft with its robust capacity. The shuttle's capacity enables humans today to build the world's largest orbiting laboratory, paving the way back to the moon, on to Mars, and further into the universe".

You cannot cut and paste this statement. It is embedded into the picture of
    the site. It was written I suppose by a former infomercial writer, who sidelines writing descriptions of rental movie covers.
    Hey watch it! I've been forced by evil corporate overloads to write that sort of marcomm before!

"Robust" means that it can produce 13 tons of garbage in less than a year with only two people. NASA needs to hire Richard Simmons as a consultant.
    Uncle!!! I cry uncle! Please not Richard Simmons!

The designer of the shuttle said the shuttle is certainly expensive, because it uses so much of what it uses. However, as to the complexity, he claims anyone with a grasp of high school physics, a good kiln, some oxygen and hydrogen, a 1K computer, and some metal from the Blackbird could do it. (They would also need some foam) So maybe it is just the most expensive machine to operate ever built.
    You have GOT to see The Astronaut Farmer, LOL! You'll love how he embarrasses NASA.

Oh yeah, and regarding Martha Stewart as a prison decorating guru, you're sadly mistaken. Her team lost the Christmas decorating contest. Seriously.

i just wanted to mention something quick here about 'pseudo addiction"?this actually makes the patient 'appear' to have all the hallmarks of an active addiction(stealing meds and other nafarious behaviors similar to addiction)but what this person is actually suffering from is being woefully undermedicated by their doc.

this creates the same behaviors that actual addicts display trying to 'keep up their supply'.this is just what can cause some real honest to god truely suffering chronic pain pateints to actually appear to be addicted when they are just trying to obtain some level of relief from their suffering.if the patient was actually being treated appropriately,that behavior would stop in a heartbeat.Pseudo addiction is really really heartbreaking,and can land a chronic pain patient in lots of trouble that they never would have gotten into if their docs had actually done their jobs in just appropriately treating this patients severe chronic pain in the first place.sad but unfortunetly true.Marcia