Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Money for Nothing

Astronaut Jeff Williams recently returned from the ISS. His report contained the following:

"it borders on ugly right now, so we have to complete the assembly to get the other side to look the same." (Symmetry is so important in our understanding of how life began in the universe).

NASA happily reported that "the $100 billion project is once more underway"

What was missing was ANY recounting of ANY scientific information from the mission WHATSOEVER. So far it is nothing more than an expensive ride at an amusement park.

I am serious when I say that it is completely absurd, wicked, and vainglorious for a nation to waste ONE HUNDRED BILLION dollars (shuttle flights will terminate in 2010 anyway) when there are SCI people who cannot walk and about fifteen percent of them also have central pain. It is vomitous nonsense to prattle about solar panels--if they wanted to see those they could have just driven through Marin County, north of San Francisco.

Quote Originally Posted by dejerine
    Astronaut Jeff Williams recently returned from the ISS. His report contained the following:

"it borders on ugly right now, so we have to complete the assembly to get the other side to look the same." (Symmetry is so important in our understanding of how life began in the universe).

NASA happily reported that "the $100 billion project is once more underway"

What was missing was ANY recounting of ANY scientific information from the mission WHATSOEVER. So far it is nothing more than an expensive ride at an amusement park.

I am serious when I say that it is completely absurd, wicked, and vainglorious for a nation to waste ONE HUNDRED BILLION dollars (shuttle flights will terminate in 2010 anyway) when there are SCI people who cannot walk and about fifteen percent of them also have central pain. It is vomitous nonsense to prattle about solar panels--if they wanted to see those they could have just driven through Marin County, north of San Francisco.

Fuck me! I don't think I've heard a more toe curling story than your description of your surgery. That's aboslutely brutal!

This is shit even Mengele couldn't have dreampt up...

BTW, It breaks my heart that you and others endure such misery. I had severe chronic pain but managed to rid myself of the monkey with digestive enzymes. If I don't take those enzymes with each meal an hour later it feels like I ate broken glass and barbed wire and it stays with me till it passes.

You're a great writer, keep it coming...
    "Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Well, NASA has flipped its lid. They have announced a "500-800 billion" (triple that value just to be safe) plan to set up a permanent station on the moon. They say they conceived the idea after asking "1400 people" the question "Why are we going to the moon?" I was one of those people and my answer was "If you have to ask, don't go". You remember that suggestions were solicited by the head of NASA. Apparently only 1400 people bothered to answer, (odd, since NASA employs 1500 physicists, not to mention all the engineers) but now we are going to get our money's worth.

The "Permanent Station" will be "like a pickup truck", capable of setting down, moving stuff around including humans. NASA says it "HOPES that hydrogen, oxygen and other moon resources can be used as supplies for the lunar outpost. " There is no oxygen there so that can only mean they HOPE they can get some of that stuff there. I wonder what 800 billion could do in brain science (including pain research). Maybe we could create bureaucrats intelligent enough NOT to waste 800 billion on this permanent station that sounds for all the world like another international space station, which everyone agrees was a total waste of money.

I can think of some inlaws to send to the moon, also some politicians. The planet is not safe while idiots like these are here on earth in a position to spend our money. Public policy professor Howard McCurdy has said ?"We MUST go there to fulfil President Bush's mission". (If only the President's speech writer could have thought of something else "inspirational" to put in his state of the union address, we would have saved a lot of money).

Maybe if President Bush would read some of these posts here, like the 4000 hits on "Ready to Give Up from the Pain" and lie awake at night like I do worrying about the people in such pain and trying to get past my own, he could think of a new and even better mission than putting a pickup on the moon--(maybe even one which would benefit mankind's medical care). Actually, Bush promised us Mars, but even NASA admits that would take a forty year project.

Ever hang out with professors of "public policy"? They are about as far from the public as you can get.

I see where Stephen Hawking was reported to have said we should populate the universe because if we don’t populate the Universe, aliens will beat us to it. (Space.com said this only repeats "what every Sci-fi fan already knows". Of course they do! Only a fool would question what sci-fi fans KNOW--just look at the highly evolved people who go to Star Wars conventions in Wookie outfits). Also, if aliens exist, they have already beat us to it. See http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/7676/1066/

The British love to be eccentric--I would have thought Hawking would want a cure for ALS, which involves neurotransmitters.

If aliens exist, they should have no trouble shoving us out of the way, regardless, pickup truck or not. I'm not too worried, since the nearest other universe is at least 15 billion light years away.

I just hope the moon astronauts don't tamper with any big eggs they find laid out in incubators on the moon's surface, or especially in any caves.

Also, invest now in Houston real estate, while there is still time. The Johnson Space Center is about to expand. The failure to develop a way to block pain and cure SCI is either "God's will" or politicians' stupidity. You can decide for yourselves.
    Last edited by dejerine; 12-08-2006 at 02:01 AM.

Where the f&*k are they going to get the money for this?
    No one ever became unsuccessful by helping others out

I remember way back when they sold us on the ISS. It was going to produce "miracle drugs" that could only be produced in the weightlessness of space. By the time they get that damn monstrosity situated for any type of drug creation and/or production it'll be ready to do a Mir's dive through the atmosphere. At least some might get to see an expensive spectacular light show in the sky as the larger pieces plummet back to earth.

Watch out Australia!
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Bob,

Yes, there are tons of miracle drugs that can only be produced in weightlessness, but somehow, although we have not yet been able to make them, we mysteriously know they can do anything. NIH cannot make these drugs, only NASA engineers with no background in pharmacology, biology, or social skills can produce them. Mainly they plan to breed metachlorian microbes to upgrade Jedi.

After the ISS, NASA has finally announced a NAME for the Moon Earth Space Station. It will be called the MESS and seems likely to live up to its name.
    Last edited by dejerine; 12-07-2006 at 01:18 AM.

I am told by the pain resarchers at NIH that they badly need a lot more money for funding what they now know is needed, and so I add:

The North American Spin Agency has just sent some solar panels to the ISS. Sounds logical, except, wait a minute, the ISS is powered by a nuclear reactor (don’t tell the Australians, they might not be so happy about the debris).

In a sort of reverse Iranian logic, (“We need the solar arrays because all we have right now is a nuclear reactor”) a number of missions to the ISS are now ongoing to “rewire” the ISS. Well, not exactly to rewire, it is to unplug the power cord leading from the reactor circuit (which NASA is now calling the “temporary” system, and replug the power grid into the circuit fed by the “permanent” solar array.

US mission head DaCosta says this work is being done to “lay the groundwork for the Constellation mission” (which is the somewhat grandiose name for the upcoming moon station, which is actually located in a very LOCAL part of our constellation). That this is all spin is revealed by the fact that NASA plans to have the nuclear reactor for the moon station built by Japan. This is to salve Japan’s feelings over NASA trashing the Japanese gravitational biology module which was supposedly to go to the ISS.

Japan had built Prometheus and was looking for a little glory. Now they are going to have to settle for a little space tourism. Yes, in return for building the moon reactor, Japan will get to include at least one astronaut. ONE REACTOR, ONE SEAT TO THE MOON.

Back to the ISS, it turns out that the vital biological research for the ISS which NASA talked about to get money from congress was named “Project Prometheus”. NASA gets its names from the American Kennel Club, which is the best anywhere for grandiose names for dogs, like the ISS.

Of course, Prometheus is “unbound” since according to Kevin Cowling at Spaceref.com NASA has now completely abandoned any ideas for biological or any other scientific research. Prometheus is just detritus, which will be sold as scrap or donated to Goodwill.

The ISS was always intended to be run on nuclear power despite NASA’s recent terming of the reactor as a “temporary” system to be replaced by a “permanent” one, now that the lifespan of the ISS is almost over!

So, the ISS was launched for “important biological research”, which now will never be done, and DaCosta is pretending the solar array is to “lay the groundwork for the moon station” which will be NUCLEAR powered. A logical person might ask what solar arrays have to do with a nuclear reactor?. Some of the foam off the director’s mouth is falling off and knocking away the thin line of logic in the whole business..

How do orbiting solar panels which will NOT be used on the moon, prepare the way for the moon nuclear reactor system. Why does NASA claim this mission is to “rewire” the ISS, when it is instead just to add on a solar array, unplug the reactor power grid and plug into the array line, just in case their faulty computer programming makes the reactor go haywire in the switchover to correct time on Jan 1.

The reason for the hurry up is that the computer system running the reactor was not designed to take into account the slightly greater than 365 day time of a year, which is to be corrected Jan 1 on earth.

Since NASA does deal tangentially with such things as astronomy, it seems weird they didn’t include the actual time of earth orbit, instead of the one in grade school textbooks, when they programmed everything..

Rumor is they were afraid something might go wrong with the reactor. A large reactor recently shut down in Russia because of a short circuit. No doubt NASA realizes power failure would be a BAD thing in space, (-200 degrees Fahrenheit)

NASA is sending Suditha Williams to stay on the ISS. She is a superb athlete, a triathloner, runner, bowhunter , “too tough for Fear Factor” woman out of a video game, whom they figure will not embarrass them by fainting when she comes back.

You might wonder why NASA loathes cellular biologists and biochemists. Well, they are big know it alls from NIH,and inviting a nerdy NIH researcher onto a sexy NASA vehicle is just not done. They might get uppity and ask for some of the money for NIH for biological research.

Sudi is a helicopter pilot and it is not “what you know” it is how smart you are and everyone knows how hard helicopters are to fly, so it may probably just come to her out of the blue how life began in the universe while she is sitting there for six months.

Despite the hype, the discarded “Prometheus” did not as promised reveal secrets about how life began in the universe. Using a Japanese nuclear reactor on the moon is clever though, because probably right after the big bang, someone put a nuclear reactor on some planet which leaked radiation which speeded up mutations and led to the rapid development of humans.

Either that or gravity did it, which explains NASA’s only plan for biological research on the ISS, the gravitational module.

Other than the leaking reactor theory of evolution, we cannot see that the moon station is going to yield much either, They will probably have to jettison any research on the moon just to deal with technical problems. Therefore, NASA “might” not make good on their promise to tell us how life began in the universe by going to the moon. They will more likely succeed in making the Japanese part of President Bush’s vision, which is, “to take all available research money and immediately put it into outer space”.

Any nation which would spend as much on space tourism as they do on medical research is out of their gourds. It is time for the engineers to stop kidding around that they know anything about life (except how to live the good one on the salaries NASA pays) and send the funds to the poverty stricken molecular biologists and biochemists at NIH who are doing work on brain/cord repair /pain.

Hoping to give an NIH drive some public approval I obtained this name for it from the American Kennel Club, “His quadriparetic royal majesty’s project to terminate neuropathic hyperalgesia and thereby reveal how life began in the universe ” When I suggested "Stop the Freaking Pain" the AKC didn't like it.

One good thing about the ISS mission, they are allowing a “boy from New Jersey” onboard. This won’t match what Wise Young is doing for N.J., but it is a start. .

NASA has had a pretty good week, however. First, Mather got the Nobel in Physics, but it was for work on the big bang from data taken from an UNMANNED satellite a long time ago. Unmanned stuff is so much cheaper. The White House followed this by giving some medal of honor to Lederberg, the microbiologist who advises NASA on life on other planets. If Lederberg has found anything, he isn't saying, so this is pretty good to get a medal for apparently not finding anything. This helps us immensely in learning how life began in the universe.

However, NASA is not especially wanting to reveal how they failed to do promised biological research on the ISS, how the computers failed to take into account the actual length of a year, nor how NASA's confusion on English vs. metric units caused the Mars orbiter to crash. Basically, NASA has done about as much to tell us how life began in the universe as Orville and Wilbur Wright. NASA is a flight thing so far. We hope it morphs over into something of biological benefit. As for those who say we should spend trillions for an escape pod from earth which is destined to blow up soon, let me clue you in. YOU will not be on the pod. it will only be for those destined to perpetuate the human race, which is Nicole Ritchie and Jack Black. Keep your tax dollars for something for YOU.
    Last edited by dejerine; 12-12-2006 at 02:32 AM.

Major Newspaper Falls In Line With Analysis Of Nasa As Wasteful

If you are near a library or newsstand like Borders, check out the article in "The Independent"

It is entitled:

"The Big Question: Is Nasa's trillion-dollar space mission worth the money?"
    By Rupert Cornwell, Washington Bureau Chief
    Published: 06 December 2006

By the way, everyone should be watching the current series of "House". They are telling your life. The problems of the person with pain. Bless the writers, bless the producers and bless Hugh Laurie. The policeman who is trying to put Dr. House in jail makes Darth Vader look like Mother Theresa by comparison. When you sit down to watch, bring a seat belt to avoid being pulled into House's situation right inside the TV. (Actually, you are already there). And bring some tissues. This show has reached or exceeded the level of the ancient Greek dramas. This one, as you can guess, is a tragedy.
    Last edited by dejerine; 12-13-2006 at 11:51 AM.

What really annoys me about House is how all the other doctors on the show talk about his use of Vicoden as an addiction rather than a dependency. There's a huge difference, e.g. a diabetic is dependent on insulin, not addicted.

Correction: I don't mind admitting when I am wrong and further inquiry shows the ISS apparently does not run on a nuclear reactor. The detailed description I read was merely the "proposed" reactor based on Americium 242 from the Argonne laboratory. The reactor was proposed because solar panels the size of football fields were considered unwieldy and vulnerable to malfunction. NASA instead chose solar panels, but I cannot find that they were called "interim" at the time of launch. Either way, it's a lot of dough which I would prefer were spent on life science, brain science, or at least on some kind of needed research. I hope the new arrays work. Strangely, objection to the moon station is coming not only from opponents of expense necessary for manned flight, like the National Science Foundation, but from the most avid supporters of manned space exploration. They say going back to the moon proves nothing and will divert money from going to Mars. see eg. the NY Times
    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/12/sc...wA&oref=slogin
    Last edited by dejerine; 12-17-2006 at 08:51 PM.