Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nerve Rerouting

Lynn: let me know if you make contact. I'd be interested in hearing from others who look into this. Either way, go or no go, the reasons and results are interesting. Also, female vs. male difference in results. And you're welcome.
    BeeBee

Lynn, hope you will keep us informed. Maybe I missed something; but will this study be done in the US? A 2-day stay in the US isn't bad but travel to China would add a lot of time to the procedure.

Mike
    T12 Incomplete - Walking with Crutches, Injured in Oct 2003

Yes, Mike. In the Detroit area. Still a distance from Tampa, but not as far as China The trial is being done thru Beaumont Hospitals. Someone earlier found the web-link and attached it.
    BeeBee

Thanks BeeBee - only 12 subjects and no results until 2012. Man, things take a long time.

Mike
    T12 Incomplete - Walking with Crutches, Injured in Oct 2003

This is encouraging!

I've been thinking that research into return of bladder function, even by implantation of some sort of device, would be worth funding.

Apparently it's happening!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC
    Thanks BeeBee - only 12 subjects and no results until 2012. Man, things take a long time.
    I haven't made any calls yet ... but I was starting to wonder the same thing. Why so long? Unless they're extremely picky with their subjects ... I am not healthy ... they call for healthy lol so I doubt I'll get in.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

My son will have the surgery on Dec 21. Mike: actual expected results are within 2 years of the surgery. No idea on further trials.
    They remove a small portion of the bone from L-5 and re-route a nerve to S-3. He should be able to feel when he needs to void, and actually void by scratching or pinching a place on the hip that will "trigger" the nerves to relax the muscles and allow the bladder to empty. No more caths
    He will likely be making some type of presentation to the media inconjuction with this surgery.
    BeeBee

Quote Originally Posted by BeeBee
    My son will have the surgery on Dec 21. Mike: actual expected results are within 2 years of the surgery. No idea on further trials.
    They remove a small portion of the bone from L-5 and re-route a nerve to S-3. He should be able to feel when he needs to void, and actually void by scratching or pinching a place on the hip that will "trigger" the nerves to relax the muscles and allow the bladder to empty. No more caths
    He will likely be making some type of presentation to the media inconjuction with this surgery.
    If successful, this would be a huge improvement in quality of life. I think something like this is feasible. Man, just to think about not living life in four hour cycles.

Has anyone read about this procedure as it relates to sex?
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

Sex as in the act or gender?

There is some indication of increased sexual ablilties (ability to achieve/maintain erection and/or ejaculation) though it isn't the primary focus, nor does it appear to fix it like it used to be (there usually is no increase in sensory input from the skin).

There was no mention, that I could find, between males vs. females in success.
    BeeBee

Yes, I was referring to the act. After writing I read your earlier post on the scope of the procedure.

BeeBee, for me it is incredibly exciting to hear that so soon your son will be operated. God bless him. Please keep us posted on as much detail as you can. Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeBee
    Sex as in the act or gender?

There is some indication of increased sexual ablilties (ability to achieve/maintain erection and/or ejaculation) though it isn't the primary focus, nor does it appear to fix it like it used to be (there usually is no increase in sensory input from the skin).

There was no mention, that I could find, between males vs. females in success.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003