Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nerve Rerouting

I just want to bump this because my BP is abnormal no matter what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by manouli
    Hey that's awesome! Wonder if Canadians can get into US Trials considering that I'm right next to Michigan? Free, professional, expedient health care! Your son is T12 ... we're similiar.

ETA: I know I've quoted this website before but it's chock-full of info on this technique. I'm sorry, but I'm ~very~ excited about this ... I think it offers something SAFE, something NOW and something DOABLE, rather than waiting forever for the unknown.

http://www.sci-therapies.info/Nerve-Connections.htm
    Last edited by lynnifer; 10-10-2006 at 09:34 PM.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

THANKS!!! for the link.
    Lynn, Check your PM's.
    BeeBee

Dr. Chuan-Guo Xiao is the physician. Dr Young: do you have any information on him or his previous results?
    BeeBee

Wow, thanks for the great explanation on anatomy Dr Young. Explains a lot about how someone like me with a flaccid external sphincter can still do okay as long as the stool is firm and I don't strain.

What is the distance between the 2 sphincters? Suppositories don't work for me and I go to the bathroom 4-5 times a day. When I deficate am I mainly emptying what is between the 2 sphincters? Similary, when someone does manual evacuation are they emptying between the sphincters?

Thanks again.

Mike
    T12 Incomplete - Walking with Crutches, Injured in Oct 2003

I hope there is something to this. I always thought nerve rerouting was one of the more plausible progress routes for the short term.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC
    Wow, thanks for the great explanation on anatomy Dr Young. Explains a lot about how someone like me with a flaccid external sphincter can still do okay as long as the stool is firm and I don't strain.

What is the distance between the 2 sphincters? Suppositories don't work for me and I go to the bathroom 4-5 times a day. When I deficate am I mainly emptying what is between the 2 sphincters? Similary, when someone does manual evacuation are they emptying between the sphincters?

Thanks again.

Mike
    Mike, the anal canal is approximately 4 cm long. When you defecate, you are emptying what is in your rectum which is of course a distensible sac. When the rectum expands, whether due to gas or stools, the internal sphincter relaxes. If solid feces get into the anal canal, the external sphincter clamps shut to maintain continence. However, if gas gets into the canal, the external sphincter lets it out (hence, we have flatus). Sometimes, the anal canal gets confused with a mixture of fluid and gas and some incontinence can result.

It may very well be possible to do re-routing of a peripheral nerve to the external sphincter. However, as you can imagine, it is not simple because we must consider not just what the peripheral nerve does but what the spinal cord does in order to maintain this external anal sphincter reflex that can distinguish between gas and feces in the anal canal. There are several studies of artificial sphincters that are placed around the external sphincter and that can be manually released. I must admit that I have not been following this literature very carefully and will try to find out more information.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeBee
    Dr. Chuan-Guo Xiao is the physician. Dr Young: do you have any information on him or his previous results?
    BeeBee, Dr. Chuan-Guo Xiao is the surgeon who has been doing peripheral nerve rerouting for restoration of bladder function in Shanghai (Tongji University) and New York University Medical Center). His approach is different from the one taken by Dr. Shaochen Zhang who has been connecting nerves from above the injury site to the nerves of the bladder. Dr. Xiao's approach has been to use nerves below the injury sit and then use the segmental reflexes of the spinal cord to activate the micturition (the pissing) reflex. He presented his work in the December ISCITT meeting in Hong Kong. He showed impressive video pictures of people who were able to micturate by stimulating the skin innervated by the spinal cord root that had been reconnected. Dr. Zhang's approach is trying to restore voluntary micturition but I have not seen all the data and am uncertain that it works as well. In my opinion, a lot of work needs to be done to improve both procedures.

Wise.

The study group will be fowarding their information this week. Possible benefits are: return of bladder function, possible partial return of bowel function (control ability, not sensory) and possible possible sexual return.
    Reletively "minor" surgery: a 2 day stay and couple more days at home. (No large incisions or hardware placement: that's OUR definition of major surgery).
    Dr Young: do you have links or copies of the published research?
    BeeBee

P.S. Thanks for the info BeeBee - I really appreciate it!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12