Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Nerve Rerouting

Anyone in the Baltimore area do this surgery?
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

MikeC, it should work with people with cauda equina injuries.

Alan, this procedure should be carried out by somebody experienced with doing this kind of work.

Eric.S, in my opinion, this is still in phase 2 clinical trial. There is some promising data but not all the benefits, complications, and success rates of the surgery have been defined.

Wise.

Does anyone have an update on this trial?

I just found this old thread where a nerve bridging trial was to begin. Does anyone have an update?

I contacted Kenneth M. Peters, M.D. with William Beaumont Hospital who is performing the clinical trial that is linked in this thread. I had asked him if the surgery was available for me. I have an L1 burst fracture with Flaccid Bladder. Here is his response

"Thanks for your e-mail. We are still doing this surgery as part of a research study and our results are too immature to report yet in the spinal cord injury, but we have good results in spina bifida. Unfortunately, your functional status is too good for the study. Patients need to be a paraplegic to be enrolled. That being said, it does not mean that it would not work for you. So perhaps in the future if it becomes common place we can do this surgery on you in hopes of regaining the bladder and bowel function. Otherwise, Dr. Xiao in China who developed the surgery may be able to perform this on you there."

I just wanted to pass this along. Perhaps someone else can benefit from it.

Quote Originally Posted by aviator
    I contacted Kenneth M. Peters, M.D. with William Beaumont Hospital who is performing the clinical trial that is linked in this thread. I had asked him if the surgery was available for me. I have an L1 burst fracture with Flaccid Bladder. Here is his response

"Thanks for your e-mail. We are still doing this surgery as part of a research study and our results are too immature to report yet in the spinal cord injury, but we have good results in spina bifida. Unfortunately, your functional status is too good for the study. Patients need to be a paraplegic to be enrolled. That being said, it does not mean that it would not work for you. So perhaps in the future if it becomes common place we can do this surgery on you in hopes of regaining the bladder and bowel function. Otherwise, Dr. Xiao in China who developed the surgery may be able to perform this on you there."

I just wanted to pass this along. Perhaps someone else can benefit from it.
    Aviator, thanks very much for this information. Wise.