Thread: Stephen Hawking at Stringfellows

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Stephen Hawking at Stringfellows

One of the more interesting things (to my dirty little mind) that's been revealed through the BBC Podcasts (#5) concerns Professor Stephen Hawking at Stringfellows, http://www.stringfellows.com/split/index.htm

Rob Crosson was interviewing Peter Stringfellow about the most notable celebrities that have visited the most famous nightclub in europe.

Stringfellow replied that the club had been visited by Stephen Hawking:

Liz – I am. I just feel a sense of life about the whole thing now. So good. So, what else Mat?

Mat – Also we’ll be speaking to a ‘deaf pretender’ who wrote to us with a very fascinating letter, and it’s going to be really, really interesting article talking to her, I bet.

Liz - We’ve got the usual disability gossip

Mat – and we have music, of course, much later from the Creative Routes Project, who I know quite well, They’re coming out of Camberwell, they’re a good lot. A little bit mad but they’re good.

Liz – The Camberwell posse. And also he’s back again, we’ve got Rob Crossan, the Albino journalist from Front magazine

Mat - Hooray!

Rob – [Laughs] What a charming title!

Liz - Ohhhh, it is

Rob - Hello

Liz – Oh say a little more than hello, Rob!

Rob – So you wanna know what I’ve been up to?

...I’ve got to tell you my Professor Stephen Hawking story.

Mat – Go on, were all ears

Rob – It’s absolutely brilliant, I was lucky enough to interview Peter Stringfellow last week,

Mat - Whoa

Rob -Yeah, lucky enough - and he’s a very charming man actually, I’d heard he was very obnoxious he was actually very nice. And one of the questions I asked him was who’s the favourite customers you’ve ever had at Stringfellows, and he said to me well, Professor Stephen Hawking,

Mat - What?!

Rob - and I said what? The Professor Stephen Hawking went to Stringfellows? And he said yeah and the first thing he thought was that it was a look-alike.

Mat and Liz - [laughter]

Rob - which would look a bit stupid, and even more bizarrely Professor Stephen Hawking was accompanied by Callum Best who I believe was the co author of A Brief History of Time…

Mat - Eh!?

Liz - [laughter]

Rob - The two of them where together anyway and Peter String fellow told me that he was a obviously little bit flummoxed, he didn’t really know, you know, does Professor Stephen Hawking do small talk? What should he do? So Peter invited him over to his table and said “well, it’s a great privilege to have you in the club Professor Stephen Hawking, we can talk about your book if you like, or would you rather just go and have a lap dance?”. In a rather laconic manner through his voicebox Stephen Hawking just said “the girls”, and just wheeled himself off and had a half hour lap dance with a 19 year old called Tiger.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/ouch/podcast/
    Last edited by Juke_spin; 10-08-2006 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Spl.

Very amusing Juke, but how did you manage to spell Hawking's name incorrectly no less than three times? Once in the the thread title, and twice in your post.

Was it intentional?

Hawkings?

Quote Originally Posted by keps
    Very amusing Juke, but how did you manage to spell Hawking's name incorrectly no less than three times? Once in the the thread title, and twice in your post.

Was it intentional?

Hawkings?
    As weak as this may seem, Rob Crossen mispronounces the name repeatedly in the podcast. Its only a short way into the beginning of the recording if you'd like to check it out and the interview w the deaf pretender is fascinating (although much further along). Also, host Mat Fraser, a thalidomide survivor, reveals how he moonlights (illegally) at Coney Island as a freak for big bucks.

As the correct spelling (of Hawking)was before my eyes in the downloaded text and when I went to Amazon for info on Hawking and Callum Best, I should have caught the error but I didn't.

Hey, I'm becoming a notorious misspeller at CC!
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Thanks Juke. I've been chuckling at this all afternoon. "The girls!"

Sounds like Hawking is emulating the great Richard Feynman.

Chris.
    Have you ever seen a human heart? It looks like a fist wrapped in blood! Larry in 'Closer', a play by Partick Marber