Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: quad or para?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

quad or para?

What am I?
    My level of injury is c5/c6. I function on a higher level, not sure exactly what level that is.
    I don't know medically speaking how I am classified. I have use of all 4 limbs, so logically I say I am a para. But, I believe my level of injury points the other way.Help!!! I probably need to know this, but I don't.

The heart seems to have its reasons which even reason cannot understand.

technically speaking, an incomplete quad.

by definition, quads have cervical injuries. paras have thoracic or lower.

it's just a classification, not a descriptor of function.

i think if you have full funnction in your hands means your level of function is t something, which means your a para

Even if your body cannot move, you can still think and meditate ~Dalai Lama~

Functionally a para has deficencies in only 2 limbs (their legs) while a quad has deficencies in 4 limbs. So even though my arms are fully functional my hands have deficencies so I'm still a quad. My neck was broken at the C6 level but I recovered functionally to C8.

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow"
    ~ Anon

Amanda,
    I was injured at C3/C4 but have use of all 4 limbs. I am considered an incomplete quad, as are you. It means that we have impairments in all 4 extremities, although compared to others, they may be relatively minor. A para will have no deficits in their upper extremities, although their legs might be far less functional than ours. Quadri = four
    plegia = weakness

Amanda -- As others have said, your injury is considered to be an incomplete quadriparesis. Paresis because you mention you have use of all 4 limbs meaning weakness of muscles, quad because your injury is above the T1 level. PLG

I would recommend reading Dr. Young's article on the ASIA system.

Using this system, your neurologic injury is called by the lowest motor level with a muscle grade of 3 or better and normal sensation. If you have poor sensation and good strength (or the reverse), you would still have to "move up" the cord segments to find the level that meets both criteria.

You can have different levels on the right or left side, but you cannot have more than one level on the same side (using this criteria). So someone with a C5/C6 injury would have C5 as the lowest intact cord segment on the right, and C6 as the lowest intact cord segment on the left.

In addition, you are then rated (using the ASIA scale) on how incomplete your injury is as an A, B, C, D or E.

Tetraplegia (formerly quadriplegia) is any neurologic injury above T1, while paraplegia is considered any injury T1 and below. The term "paresis" is now discouraged.

(KLD)

I just re-read this and realized I said I have use of all 4 limbs...so not true. Not sure how that came out. I have use of both arms. Both legs- nada. I have a really good right hand. But, the left is not the best. My right functions on a T1 lvl...my left on a c7.So, if my injury is c-lvl, but I function {at least on one side} is t-lvl what does that mean? I'm sorry for the confusion....I still don't know how I am " labeled", "classified", whatever it may be.

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on."
    Franklin D. Roosevelt

Amanda - Dr. Young may further clarify your question about classification. However, for purposes of identifying your functional level, I think the best is to describe yourself as a C7/T1 injury. If you have some deficits on one side within the cervical range, you do have a quadriplegic injury. CRF

Thank you everyone for the input...sorry for the confusion....It's nice to know as much about my injury as possible, even if it is text book knowledge.

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on."
    Franklin D. Roosevelt