Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are you working ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Are you working ?

In Sri Lanka most employers are reluctant to employ people in wheelchairs. For one thing almost all buildings are inaccessible. I would like to know how many of you are working full/part time and in what capacity. Also whether the workplace has facilities like ramps and wheelchair accessible toilets and how you travel to work. Thank you.

hmmm

I'd starve if I didn't work.

Of course, it's a challenge getting in and out of my place. I have to pop a curb every morning. But i manage it.

I really don't know what I'd do with my life if I didn't have a job, you know? Maybe if I didn't have a real job, I'd run for political office.

The world is a lot more accessable than when I started working 30 years ago.I've met so many nice and interesting people.Wheelers can do many jobs if they would just take the plunge.SCI took a lot from me but I've proven that I still have the ability to make meaningful contributions to society.Most of the people on this board can do the same A cure would have been incredible but I'm sure as heck glad I didn't sit around blaming 7 presidents for not curing me!

Quote Originally Posted by Sisira
    In Sri Lanka most employers are reluctant to employ people in wheelchairs. For one thing almost all buildings are inaccessible. I would like to know how many of you are working full/part time and in what capacity. Also whether the workplace has facilities like ramps and wheelchair accessible toilets and how you travel to work. Thank you.
    It is the same in Norway. Impossible to get a job and very inaccessible. In my area in Oslo, no public offices are accessible. The same with the shops and the pubs and bars. In an area with 60 000 people it is only one accessible toilet. I have to go far to buy food. And I do not have a car just now and soon the street are full of snow.

So I don't work even if I want and it is the same for the rest of the SCI people I know in Oslo.
    TH 12, 43 years post

I work at home and I am my own boss.

Quote Originally Posted by kkmay
    I work at home and I am my own boss.
    Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by woman from Europe
    So I don't work even if I want and it is the same for the rest of the SCI people I know in Oslo.
    I’ve told you before, go west

Quote Originally Posted by Leif
    I’ve told you before, go west
    I don't get an accessible house for the next ten years so I have to stay here I don't think any other place want to pay for my assistent either. This appartment is 2,8 mill kr, I don't have more money. They don't make it easy with all the rules from Husbanken and the local authority. "You have to live three years here before we can help you". Stupid
    TH 12, 43 years post

paraplegic - police and fire dispatcher

When I was younger I worked at a hospital in a clerical capacity for five years ... I think I started there when I was 21. For the most part, it was accessible. Paid well, benefits too. Might be something to look into - if you can answer a phone and tingle with a computer, you could work their switchboard.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer
    paraplegic - police and fire dispatcher

When I was younger I worked at a hospital in a clerical capacity for five years ... I think I started there when I was 21. For the most part, it was accessible. Paid well, benefits too. Might be something to look into - if you can answer a phone and tingle with a computer, you could work their switchboard.
    lynnifer i still cant control my laughing.
    i cannot imagine myself working as a police and fire dispatcher.
    fire and thiefs will prospere with me beeing a dispatcher.c6 c7 quad.
    no thank you.
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."