Thread: Loosing weight

Loosing weight

Before I was only eating 2 meals a day and gaining weight now I'm eating 3 meals a day plus snacks and I'm loosing about 3-5 lbs a week , I don't know why ? LBUSH

Frequent small meals "teach" your body that there is no reason to fear starvation, so your metabolism stays high and you body burns what you eat. Infrequent meals, of any size, make your body think there may not be another meal coming, so it'd better save what it has. Your metabolism is slower and the cheese pizza sticks to your ass.
    BeeBee

I'm 6 ft. tall and before my bypass operation I weighed 217lbs when I came home I was down to 179 lbs. then got it back up to 185lbs . and now I'm down to about 170lbs , when I went to my primary DR Tuesday his nurse thought I looked very sickly all skin and bones ,i it wouldn't be bad if I was trying to loose the weight but I'm eating 3 meals large amounts , in between lg. bowls of Ice cream pop corn all kinds of fast foods , that I know aren't good for me but I'm trying to get back up to 185-190 but the lbs. keep falling off . And I'm also sleeping about 12-14 hours a night without taking my sleeping pills ,so I'm not burning off calories , I'm just so tired I'm not even taking all my pain medication either just my seizure medication I make sure to take that 3 x's a day I have my wife wake me before she leaves for work 11:00pm-7:00am then she wakes me for my morning medication but I fall backo sleep and wake up at about 10:00am or I am dragging around or I'll fall asleep during the day ,I don't know what gives . Like right now it's only 6:30 and I feel like I'm going to fall asleep; LBUSH
    Last edited by LBUSH49; 10-05-2006 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LBUSH49
    I'm 6 ft. tall and before my bypass operation I weighed 217lbs when I came home I was down to 179 lbs. then got it back up to 185lbs . and now I'm down to about 170lbs , when I went to my primary DR Tuesday his nurse thought I looked very sickly all skin and bones ,i it wouldn't be bad if I was trying to loose the weight but I'm eating 3 meals large amounts , in between lg. bowls of Ice cream pop corn all kinds of fast foods , that I know aren't good for me but I'm trying to get back up to 185-190 but the lbs. keep falling off . And I'm also sleeping about 12-14 hours a night without taking my sleeping pills ,so I'm not burning off calories , I'm just so tired I'm not even taking all my pain medication either just my seizure medication I make sure to take that 3 x's a day I have my wife wake me before she leaves for work 11:00pm-7:00am then she wakes me for my morning medication but I fall backo sleep and wake up at about 10:00am or I am dragging around or I'll fall asleep during the day ,I don't know what gives . Like right now it's only 6:30 and I feel like I'm going to fall asleep; LBUSH
    Hi Larry,

When I was 18 and 6' 1" I only weighed 141lbs. I know this because it was my "official" weight when I started working at a steel mill on my 18th birthday. And at 24, just before my accident I weighed 170-175lbs (my golfing weight!) and went down to 145 while in SCI rehab I think. I have no idea what I weigh now but I could easily lose 20lbs and be the better for it.

So 170lbs for a man 6' tall should be an ideal weight. I haven't looked at an official weight chart lately but you should be within the normal range unless you have the frame of a Neanderthal!

Oh, HERE's a weight chart.

You're in the normal range. HERE'S another chart, perhaps more up to date. You seem to be in the ideal range even though you probably should be lighter in weight because of all your health problems.

I don't know why you'd look like "skin and bones" unless your weight is situated differently on your body than on a "normal" man.

Pain and seizure medication can make you look a bit sickly.... it's kinda hard on the brain and body.

I hope you're feeling better.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

As your doctor's nurse commented on your weight loss, what did your doctor recommend/suggest/prescribe?

LARRY-you say you are on Seizure medicine...Which one? Are you on Topamax? I KNOW that Topamax causes weight loss(I take it for neuropathic pain and have lost over 50lbs in less than a yr). One of the "off label" uses for Topamax is a weight loss medication. As much as I LOVE it for the pain relief it give me & the weight loss that I personally have had(I gained a LOT of weight on Neurontin & needed to lose weight before that anyway) it is a known/common side effect and something that your dr should be aware of if it's one of your medications.

I don't know if any of the other anti-convulsants(or any of your other meds) have the same side effect, but it's definately something to check with your dr or pharmacist.
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

My Dr. didn't say anything but his nurse said she could see it in my face , I take Depakote 500MG 3X's and Tegrtol 200 MG 3X's for my seizures , and I don't know why I'm so tired all the time , last night I got 13 1 / 2 hours with out taking my sleeping pill I take my pain meds at 8:00am -2:00pm and 8:00PM that was the way they gave them to me in the hospital so I stayed on that time frame , but today I didn't wake up until 9:30 so I have to make the adjustments,9:30 -3:30 9:30 , I go see my new urologist today too I have a few questions for him too. LBUSH
    Last edited by LBUSH49; 10-06-2006 at 09:57 AM.