Thread: loss of lordosis

loss of lordosis

Hi, I’d suffered from the neck pain for almost 4 years now. Everytime I move my head too much (e.g turn to left & right for 2-3 times); carry something more than 3,4 kg; or even if my posture is not correct, the pain will be worst.

I’d visit a doctor and took an x-ray, according to the doctor, there is loss of lordosis between the 5th & 6th bone of my neck, he prescribe me with pain killer but I refuse to take it as I’m afraid that I’ll get addicted.

According to the doctor, it is not that serious and no surgery is needed for the time being. But the pain is quite (or very) irritating to me. Sometimes I can’t even lift my head up.

So, apart from pain killer, is there any way for me to relieve the pain, maybe is there any food that is good for me, or any food I shouldn’t take …etc…..

Please help.

Thanks.

i am wondering just what may be revealed by an MRI.the loss of lordosis itself,is rather a common occurance in alot of people.i myself have this too.the thing is,that loss,all by itself,wouldn't actually be causing the severe symptoms(not being able to actually lift your head up IS a pretty significant thing)you are currnetly having,the loss tho CAN lead to other more significant issues.the loss just places much more pressure on the vertebrae as they do not have that nice natural curve anymore,and instead,become rather 'stacked" this just increases the risk of certain conditions to occur such as slippage of a vertebrae or disc.what other symptoms are you currently having?any numbness or tingling or pain in either arm or hands/fingers?any muscle involvement in the neck/upper back/shoulder blade areas?

the x ray,while it can reveal the 'outer' problems,will not actually show just what is really occuring inside the vertebrae themselves and the nerves and spinal cord.that is why you really do need that MRI.this would reveal any compression onto nerves or even the cord itself.when my primary did my initial x ray when i came in complaining of herniated disc types of symptoms(i knew i had one as my symptoms matched my hubbys that he had had a few years before with his herniated disc)my primary told me my c spine looked like a 'trainwreck'with the vertebrae kind of zig zagging like traincars that came off the track?it looked nasty but the worst part was what was revealed inside after the MRI.lots of bone spurs some bulges and a herniated c 6-7,and right underneath that was this glob of blood vessels actually inside of my cord slightly under the herniated disc.it really was a flippin trainwreck in there too.

right now,you really have no clue as to what is really causing your pain and symptoms,and that is what really does need finding out so you and your doc(referral to a neurosurgeon just for a consult and eval)can try and come up with a good treatment plan.it all depends on the damage inside those vertebraes as to what that plan will be.

just what did the doc Rx for you that you are afraid to take?have you tried just plain aleeve(naroxen sodium?) or advil?these meds worked much better on my c spine pain at the beginning of my herniated disc nightmare than any actual narcotic type of med an there is no risk of addiction.even used short term and only as directed,the risk of actually becomming addicted to any narcotic is pretty low for the general population.unless there is some familial history of addiction ,chances are your actual risk would also be pretty low.maybe just taking them at night would suffice.but just the fact that your doc Rxed these for you must mean that he feels you really may need them since most dpocs don't just hand out narcotics for no reason.the type of pain you are having is what these types of meds are needed for.

there may be a surgical intervention or some other actual treatment plan that will not use surgery that may help you to reduce or completely rid yourself of your pain,but you wont know anything until you obtain that MRI to try and determine just what is triggering your pain.it is not just that loss of lordosis alone.

i can tell you right now that your doc really has no clue as to how really serious or non serious this issue with you actually is since he cannot visualize the inner vertebral column and the spinal cord from a plain old x ray.they can see herniations but not into the area like an mri can.i really would speak to your doc about obtaining one soon to really see whats up in there.there could be bone spurs or stenosis or any number of issues that could cause pain and stiffness in your c spine.it just needs to be identified and hopefully appropriately treated.he is really doing you no favors here by just handing you some narcotics and sending you on your way.after the MRI is done and you can see whats up,if it is okay,starting some sort of PT could possibly be allthe therepy you may need to rid yourself from your ongoing symptoms,or it could be something els entirely.you jusy need to know for sure what you may or may not actually have going on in that c spine before starting any PT program as some PT can actually make thigns much worse when you do not actually know what the pain is stemming from.this is your c spine,and it needs to be carefully dealt with.

but finding out whats up in there is really what you need to move onto next,and obtaining the MRI would help to do that.i definietly would speak with your doc about the referral for it soon.THEN,maybe you can come up with an actual treatment plan and you wont actually ever have to take any narcotic.like i said before,it all depends on what pops up on the MRI films.that will dictate the next move.right now,you really know nothing.

hopefully whatever the cause is,it can be easily treated without sugical intervention and just the use of PT.but i would get on your primary as soon as possible.the sooner you can identify the real problem,the sooner(hopefully) you can rid yourself of the pain and other symptoms.good luck and please let me know what you find out,K? Marcia

Alizia,
    Firesmurf has done a very good job of explaining why you don't have enough information. I will just add one note for interest. CAT scans actually can show soft tissue, but it requires a setting for soft tissue. CAT scans normally use a "bone window" which means contrast is registered at bone setting. Soft tissue settings are not used because MRI does it so much better. Plain xrays are an idle ceremony. Loss of lordosis is, as Firesmurf says, so very common andis not a diagnosis for your pain. Things like cervical facet syndrome are common, but there is no real treatment and the diagnosis involves a very long needle right into the neck, so take your time on that. Best wishes to you.