Thread: slumping in chair

slumping in chair

how do others keep from slumping down in wheelchair. i sit on a roho but every move i makes causes me to slip down and constantly need to adjust. do my knees need to be higher, back straighter, how do others deal w/this problem. suggestions appreciated-im a c6 quad w/some ability to push w/arms.

now im a T6 and can move around alot so a roho isnt the best for me cause yes it does make me slide around and stuff, so i got a more stable cushion and it works better but i do slump abit in my chair, and today i actually got a half lumbar roll to place on my wheelchair back to see if it will straighten my posture abit. i havent put it on yet but fixen to. i hope it wont make me unstable on top, but im gonna try it and see if it works cause i really want to flatten my tummy more, and heard this will help.

Josh Stevens
    T6 para as of 7/17/03

"Nobody's perfect...til you fall in love with them!"

Are you wearing slippery pants (like nylon warm up pants)? They slip off of the nylon roho covers quite easily.

Otherwise I might suggest putting a bit more dump in the seat (lower the rear so that your knees are higher than your hips), but not too much or you could get pressure problems on your bottom.

Too much recline in your backrest might be part of the problem as well. Try making it as vertical as you can get without having balance problems, like tipping forward when you reach ahead.

I'm also a c6 and although I don't have slipping problems I am gradually taking the recline out of my backrest to improve my posture and pushing ability.

thanx 4 the replies, i think it very well could be too much recline, which i do for shoulder comfort but its awful for posture. my power chair moves up 5 degrees at a time, wish it was less increments. i've also tried a lumbar roll but its hard to get just the right size for comfort. will move the back up to next notch and try that. it sucks to be half falling out all the time.

You can make your own lumbar roll using foam and covering it with a pillowcase; just be careful that the roll itself isn't causing pressure anywhere.

I slumped terribly when I had my manual wheelchair, sitting on a Roho cushion. Now that I have a new Quickie powerchair and a Levo adjustable seatback, it enables me to adjust the back to help me sit up straight. My manual wheelchair had a sling back (not good for me).... I also have a new Roho Quatro low profile cushion which helps me sit up straight and not slump in my chair. I'm a T11,T12.

MJ

i got horrible posture and increased scoloisis (i went side to side) using a roho cushion 1st 10 yrs. when i switched to a jay cushion, it kept my butt in the center of chair no matter how much i wiggled.

cris
    im wondering how the jay cushion is better than roho. ive loved my high profile for pressure sore prevention, just curious what about the jay helps posture and slumping.

The slumping may be due to stretching of the w/c back. An adjustable back with velcro straps that can be tightened as the back weakens will help.

bnb66, a Jay cushsion allows better stability as it helps keep your hips positioned in your seat rather than moving around so much as you do in a roho. People tend to slide around on a roho and hips may thrust forward, causing you greater slump in your chair.

If you MUST sit in a roho, or similar type cushion, then adjusting your body position, ie higher kness, as you suggested, may help, but try these things out with either PT and/or seating and positioning center. Also, perhaps a tighter seatbel;t to help keep your hips in place.

I am c5/6 and sit in a Jay. I also sit with a hard back rather than a sling back, which looses tension and is poor back support. I use a Jay Active back. I need to sit straight, since slight slump in positure causes aching and extreme discomfort. I do sit rather straight, with even a slight arch in back at times, and while this may compromise balance a bit, it does help back.

Careful about sitting slumped, since it can create more pressure on tailbone.