Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: National Disability Employment Awareness Month 2006

National Disability Employment Awareness Month 2006

Yesterday President George W. Bush proclamed this October as National Disability Awareness Employment Month. This year's theme is "Americans with Disabilities: Ready for the Global Workforce."

titanium4motion

National Disability Employment Awareness Month, 2006
    A Proclamation by the President of the United States of America

During National Disability Employment Awareness Month, we pay tribute to the accomplishments of the men and women with disabilities whose work helps keep America's economy strong, and we underscore our commitment to ensuring equal employment opportunity for all of our citizens.

Our country has made great progress to ensure that opportunities are accessible to everyone who is willing and able to work. Access to jobs was significantly expanded in 1990 when President George H. W. Bush signed the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) into law. This important legislation has served as a foundation for strengthening our Nation's workforce and advancing innovation and American leadership in a global marketplace.

In 2001, my Administration announced the New Freedom Initiative to build on the progress of the ADA and more fully integrate men and women with disabilities into all aspects of life. The New Freedom Initiative has helped expand access to technology, training, and education for citizens with disabilities. As a result, those who have a disability and seek employment are better able to compete for jobs. To assist in providing additional access to employment opportunities, we have also implemented the "Ticket to Work" program and strengthened training and employment services at One-Stop Career Centers. By visiting DisabilityInfo.gov, individuals and employers can learn more about the Federal Government's disability-related programs and receive information and resources they need to help achieve their personal and professional ambitions.

To recognize the contributions of Americans with disabilities and to encourage all citizens to ensure equal opportunity in the workforce, the Congress, by joint resolution approved as amended (36 U.S.C. 121), has designated October of each year as "National Disability Employment Awareness Month."

NOW, THEREFORE, I, GEORGE W. BUSH, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim October 2006 as National Disability Employment Awareness Month. I call upon Government officials, labor leaders, employers, and the people of the United States to observe this month with appropriate programs, ceremonies, and activities.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this third day of October, in the year of our Lord two thousand six, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirty-first.

GEORGE W. BUSH

W is a hypocrit.......

If he were truly AWARE of the needs of the disabled he'd know that they need and want EMBRYONIC STEM CELL RESEARCH!!!!

"There’s far too much unthinking respect given to authority,” Molly Ivins explained; “What you need is sustained outrage.”
    Kerr, Keirstead, McDonald, Stice and Jun Yan courageously work on ESCR to Cure SCI.

Divisiveness comes from not following Christopher Reeve's ESCR lead.
    Young does ASCR.
    [I]I do not tear down CRPA, I ONLY make peopl

The unemployment rate for those who use chairs for mobility is staggering. If any other minority group,had an unemployment rate this high,the media would have a field day demanding affirmitive action. Wheelers are victims of benign neglect by society and our on reluctance to push for employment opportunities. Surveys indicate PWDs would love to work but they list reasons why they can't work,iehysical limitations,fear of losing Medicaid etc.If an individual has stamina to play wheelchair sports or enjoys chatrooms all day,he or she has the ability to earn a living. Ticket to Work has eliminated the fear of losing insurance.
    It's up to us to earn a better quality of life.

Faye is right on about ESC.......T to Work has not even come close to removing the fear, the disconnect between disability leadership and those they represent is a disgrace.
    http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

NOW, THEREFORE, I, GEORGE W. BUSH, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority NOW, THEREFORE, I, GEORGE W. BUSH, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim October 2006 as National Disability Employment Awareness Month. I call upon Government officials, labor leaders, employers, and the people of the United States to observe this month with appropriate programs, ceremonies, and activities.

Would an appropriate 'program' be the CRPA or the SCEA?

Makes me want to .

"Our lives begin to end the day
    we become silent about things that matter."
    - Martin Luther King Jr

i agree with all of the above.

Now can I kick his ass.
    Be yourself!!!
    http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/vandamnwcbb/
    BMF Sports & LiftWithoutLimits
    Sponsored Athlete
    http://www.bmfsports.com/ATHLETES.php
    www.genegvd.com

October is disability employment month.The thread was about employment,not cure.Leo,Ticket to Work is not about cure.It allows individuals to earn 20k or more yrly with the opportunity to buy Medicaid for as little as $12 a month in many states. You can work while waiting on the cure.Don't be like some here who refuse to take any responsibility for their problems.
    We have parents here who had children out of wedlock and the fathers refuse to support their disabled children or be involved in their lives.ESC research will not restore your children
    to normalcy whatever that is for years if ever. Mothers,don't call any president names when he is promoting employment opportunities for those with disabilities.Are we supposed to live in poverty while we await a cure?
    If you chose to wait on a cure,life is going to pass you by!

You tell em' 611!
    Its a rough time when your first injured, but also an IMPORTANT time to get your education or find tools/resources to get back into the world. The cure isn't going to find you! You have to find it!

Quote Originally Posted by van damn
    Now can I kick his ass.
    Only if I can watch it all go down.
    www.cawvsports.org
    The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Don Juan Matus
    We are Virginia Tech… We must laugh again… No one deserves a tragedy… We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and unafraid…We are better than we think and not quit what we want to be…We are the Hokies…We will prevail, we will prevail, we will prevail. We ARE Virginia Tech! ~ Nikki Giovanni