Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: War on evolution has a price

Quote Originally Posted by DA
    a lot of things are not being taught or wrong information taught, whats new?
    everyone dont need to be everything. how many ppl use evolution in everyday life?
    DA, you are missing the point as usual. The point is "intelligent design" explains nothing, is bogus science and belongs in sunday school. The accumulation and teaching of scientific knowledge should not be interfered with by other disciplines. Science has to be unfettered and free to be true science. It cannot thrive in an environment of oppression and meddling.
    Step up, stand up for:
    http://www.stepnow.org

'He not busy being born is busy dying." <Bob Dylan>

the answer is 724x + C. you posted improper math kate. your broken math skills shows your lack of education.
    lol, but DA you're here explaining to us that it doesn't matter whether or not science is taught properly . . . so when I post a partial solution to see if you really know what you're talking about (he does, everybody!) that should be good enough for you. Or are you now going to say that science is different from mathematics? Is it really your position that science is a matter of opinion, like art criticism?

End of calculus lesson:

The derivative of a mathematical function at any given point is the slope that a line tangent to that point would have. Because the function f(x) = 724x is a line with constant slope 724, its derivative is 724. But, as DA knows, there is a whole family of functions--lines, in this case--with slope of 724. They're all parallel to one another, and all their equations have the form f(x) = 724x + C, where C is any constant.

Now, would you like to explain why you are okay with letting politics corrupt science so deeply that foreign students are laughing at the USA's educational system?

Step up, stand up for:

Politics and Science don't and should not mix. Same as Religion and Politics.
    Step up, stand up for:

you should know simple math. i bet our canadian and european members knew this. kate knew it, not that kate is dumb. but she is no math genius. IT WAS A SIMPLE INTEGRAL, ANYONE WITH A HIGH SCHOOL EDUCATION SHOULD KNOW THIS.
    I do know simple math - decimals, fractions, multiplication, basic algebra, etc. Calculus is not simple math, it requires that you learn and memorize equations. In fact, Calculus was not even required for grade-level students at the private school I attended.

I did say my last formal year of schooling was a Freshman in high school. Thus I don't officially have a high school education.

you use math everyday, and you couldnt out score me.
    Thus the reason the world NEEDS everybody working together. There are plenty of know-it-alls. But nobody knows it all.
    Life isn't about getting thru the storm but learning to dance in the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by kate
    End of calculus lesson:

The derivative of a mathematical function at any given point is the slope that a line tangent to that point would have. Because the function f(x) = 724x is a line with constant slope 724, its derivative is 724. But, as DA knows, there is a whole family of functions--lines, in this case--with slope of 724. They're all parallel to one another, and all their equations have the form f(x) = 724x + C, where C is any constant.
    lol I understand French better than I understood that. Oh boy! Kate, do you teach Calculus or simply excelled at it? After nine years of no schooling, my weak point is definitely Mathematics because I lost almost all the equations I learned even in Alegra.

a lot of things are not being taught or wrong information taught, whats new?
    everyone dont need to be everything. how many ppl use evolution in everyday life?
    How many people use cell regeneration in everyday life? Everybody. And how many even understand how it happens? A minority.

Inquiring people WANT to know.
    Life isn't about getting thru the storm but learning to dance in the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Fran├žais
    lol I understand French better than I understood that. Oh boy! Kate, do you teach Calculus?
    I did teach calculus, along with algebra, trig, geometry, statistics, and writing.

Maybe you should ask DA a simple question in French that any reasonably intelligent high school student ought to be able to answer . . . just kidding.

This thread is about the decay of our ability to attract and hold the brightest science students, isn't it? We used to laugh at Japanese-made products when I was a kid . . . we used to laugh at the Soviets and their transparent propaganda . . . we used to be proud of our schools, too.

Quote Originally Posted by kate
    This thread is about the decay of our ability to attract and hold the brightest science students, isn't it?
    ...and then you have a week like this where 3 Americans win Nobels in Medicine, Physics, and Chemistry.