Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A really petty gripe, can anyone relate? (m)

Quote Originally Posted by Liz321
    respite
    Perfect.

Queen -you're hysterical. My limit, like Ben Franklin's, is three (3) days with friends or family. After that, like fish, the situation begins to smell..

Ami - Hopefully Chad's communication skills are improving . If not, as Obie or Mary would probably suggest, just add more wine or chocolate, or music..

ME, a very practical suggestion. Funny, I keep extra tubes of toothpaste for any, ahem, guests that may spend the night.

Robyn - truer sentiments couldn't have been spoken. As someone who is an admitted type 'A' person and who strives to be as independent as possible, pre and post injury, the amount of frustration and aggravation, pride and dignity that I have swallowed over the past six yrs because I've had to ask for help on some of the simplest and mundane tasks could fill an ocean. I sometimes think that this (frustration) is what will put me over the edge. I live alone, except if you count the three dogs and 12 fish, and relish the fact, as difficult as it sometimes is, my relative independence. There are some things that still drive me nuts but slowly I'm trying to let them go.

To all the caregivers here you have my most sincere and heartfelt respect. You are amazing. And although I know you're only venting its better to let off a little steam gradually than erupting into a volcano later. Thank you from the entire sci community for all that you do.

Peace, onward & upward.
    Last edited by Chris Chappell; 10-04-2006 at 03:25 PM.

Halo Zilla....Understanding your position is easy for me as I am my husband's caregiver! I know they try so hard to not 'burden' us with tasks...but the truth for me is...he can't do it himself, or he would!!! If something my hubby says bothers me, then I repeat it back to him (what he said) with a question mark on the end...then he hears it himself! I try not to make it too sarcastic, but sometimes we don't truly hear what we say...especially when we are so wonderfully use to being around the one we love!!! Also, we use a lot of humour in our lives! Keep on keepin' on and PLEASE remember, you are not the only one and this is a place for understanding and validation!!! Great Luck to you!!! p.s. I have a picture of my husband in ICU with the tubes, machines, etc. by my home office...with the caption reading "We're Not Here"....to help remind me that we are not in the that horrible space of time...but living our lives and making the most wonderful life out of it!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Chappell
    ME, a very practical suggestion. Funny, I keep extra tubes of toothpaste for any, ahem, guests that may spend the night.
    Yes, those additional tubes of toothpaste and new toothbrushes certainly uncomplicate the stays of any, ahem, overnight guests.

Quote Originally Posted by LaMemChose
    What about Hers and Hers toothpaste? It's a simple, low-cost solution to have two tubes. You may then each squeeze as you prefer to your hearts' content.

Voila!

BTW, glad to see you posting again.

Thanks, LaMem

What's sad is we did have two tubes of toothpaste. Her Royal Obssessive Compulsiveness simply couldn't stand to see mine squeezed incorrectly.

Problem solved --- I finally told her if it bothered her that much to feel free to re-squeeze mine whichever way she wanted - made me no never mind...

I rather think that's one of the biggest deciding factors in whether or not a marriage will make it. We all have our quirks... it's whether or not you can find ways to live with each other's idiosyncracies.

Ami,

I have you on my mind tonight. So for whatever reason I do..here's your hug!! {{{{{HUG}}}}}}

Mary...
    1FineSpineRN

Quote Originally Posted by Kendell
    Thanks, LaMem

What's sad is we did have two tubes of toothpaste. Her Royal Obssessive Compulsiveness simply couldn't stand to see mine squeezed incorrectly.

Problem solved --- I finally told her if it bothered her that much to feel free to re-squeeze mine whichever way she wanted - made me no never mind...

I rather think that's one of the biggest deciding factors in whether or not a marriage will make it. We all have our quirks... it's whether or not you can find ways to live with each other's idiosyncracies.

Bottom line..we should all be loved as much as Kendell loves Her Royal Compulsiveness...and as my kids would say..at least you guys both brush!!

Mary
    1FineSpineRN

Ami....

(((((((HUG))))))))

I kind of know what you are going through but Don is a para so I count my blessings. And he's about 15 months out from injury so it hasn't been that long. Even when he was AB it was ALWAYS asking if I could get him something or do something... so I was kind of pre-conditioned.

Sieg

good god, my mom must hate me. i try not to be demanding...
    -C6 incomplete
    -injured January, 14th 2006 in roll-over

That reminds me...

That reminds me of a friend of mine who had MS and was in a chair. When he would ask for something, there would be the question - like "Could you get me a drink?" and then a second later, almost too late, he would say, "Please." He was always just on the verge of forgetting to say it and he would laugh about it sometimes if it was late or if he really forgot. I'm pretty sure it was something he'd had to learn since his wife was his primary caregiver. It always made me chuckle. Boy, I wish I could get my husband to learn that. But, sometimes I remember my friend and it's OK anyway. It's really hard to change your little habits like that.
    AB wife of T8 complete para