Thread: Digestive tract

Digestive tract

Nurse, Im supposed to have a colonoscopy/25years old,this month because this morning and several times in the past during BTP, Lots of blood, and itsd in the stool itself,but I mean lots of red blood. Weve always eaten very healthy and Im getting it checked out but Im trying to attribute it to something,Can you comment here please.
    -Percocet causes constipation and impacting that you can see that the stools have been inside for awhile causing irritation?
    -Internal hemoroids
    -Is my stomach bleeding,I always feel fine there?
    Its lots of blood, so Im concerned just looking for feedback.
    I am not your rolling wheels
    I am the highway
    I am not your carpet ride
    I am the sky
    I am not your blowing wind
    I am the lightning
    I am not your autumn moon
    I am the night, the night..

Bright red blood is nearly always hemorrhoids, but the proper procedure is to do a colonoscopy, or at least a sigmoidoscopy to make sure and to rule out any other sources of bleeding. If you have bad hemorrhoids that cause you this much bleeding you may need to have the hemmorrhoids injected or "rubber banded" to treat them. This is usually an outpatieint procedure.

Keeping your stool softer will help prevent this. Eating at least 30 gm. of dietary fiber daily, or using fiber supplements, using a softner such as Colace (250 mg. 1-4X daily), and drinking at least 3000 cc. daily will help. Some people on narcotics also need to add a stimulant such as Senakot or bisacodyl tablets.

Unfortunately most people with SCI eventually get hemorrhoids due to high rates of constipation, methods used for bowel care (dig stim, etc.), sitting constantly, and weak or paralyzed pelvic floor muscles.

(KLD)

looks like they'd have wanted a sigmoid first since it's the most inavasive procedure. i was bleeding a lot awhile back an a sigmoid showed a small internal hemmroid that healed on its own.

hopefully thats all you have. i was scared also since it was a lot of blood but thankfully it was nothing major.

Actually a sigmoidoscopy is less invasive than a colonoscopy. The problem with the sigmoidoscopy is that it only looks at the lower 1/4 of the bowel, and anything higher than that would not be seen. Some physicians prefer to do the latter to rule out bowel cancer or other sources of bleeding other than just hemorrhoids.

(KLD)

Good luck with your test Stormycoon

I had to have this test when I was about your age too for the same reason. It turned out to be hemorrhoids and a small fissure which was easily fixed.

The prep for the colonoscopy was really bad for me so I am wishing you all the best.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    Actually a sigmoidoscopy is less invasive than a colonoscopy. The problem with the sigmoidoscopy is that it only looks at the lower 1/4 of the bowel, and anything higher than that would not be seen. Some physicians prefer to do the latter to rule out bowel cancer or other sources of bleeding other than just hemorrhoids.

(KLD)
    i meant less invasive. wrong wording on my part.