Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wheelchair maintenance

Eric's had his Ti-lite for all of about four months and already a bolt broke off. This is a little better than the hospital-loaned invacare, that needed bolts tightened every week! We got a replacement bolt kit with the chair, so we replaced the broken one and also replaced its opposite twin an the other side of the chair (which looked about ready to go, too).

I wish there was some way to repair the rubbery stuff on the push part of the wheel (is there a name for that? I forget). He scrapes his up pretty bad and the metal underneat is starting to show. I suppose we'll have to get a replacement part for that at some point.

try http://www.sportaid.com/ Stacey and Jimmy can help you.

Checking the chair is one thing, replacing and repairing is another, for myself and would have been for the kid as we found out this weekend.
    Bushing replacement was the key to the squeaking of the chair after all and it wasn't a fun/easy job for the mechanic of the family even with the punch!
    So tell me, even with consistant maintenance and care, what is the norm for wear and tear of parts with the average chair anyhow?

"and it is always a lot hair in the front wheels..." W.O.E, yep, it's that way around here too!

Originally posted by Betheny:

I've had a Ti-sport folder for 4 yrs. and never done anything to it. I look at it now, and 1 caster isn't even sitting on the floor. (Froglegs) It pulls to the right BAD now. I have those gel-filled narrow tires. What should I do to this thing to make it well again? Also, what are you supposed to do to wire spokes for maintenance?

C5/6 incomplete, injured Aug. 2000
    For your spokes if to true them up take your chair to a bicycle repair shop and they can true your wheels. If you can han a rigid frame they last longer but chair are like cars the more you use them the less they roll
    Have a great day,
    Matt

Originally posted by Belle:

I wish there was some way to repair the rubbery stuff on the push part of the wheel (is there a name for that? I forget).
    vinyl coated push rims

Originally posted by teesieme:

So tell me, even with consistant maintenance and care, what is the norm for wear and tear of parts with the average chair anyhow?
    I do a full check 3 times a year. But small things like checking the bearings on the front casters and getting the hair out, tightening the seat, etc, when i see fit.

with that said, this is MY lifecycle of parts (i guess it depends on how much crap you push it through): tires: 2-3 months. tubes: 3-6 months, front wheels (3"): 9 months, bearings:3 months (I am just anal about this, since it makes the ride REALLY smooth), i dont have spokes - i have X-Core. Only busted one of those in 6 years going down 6 steps in a wheelie!!!

sufice it to say that you can read your chair. Once it stars pulling one way or the other, check it. its 20 minutes of time and will make your life a LOT easier.

oh, and if you keep your tires inflated, they last a LOT longer. so i fill mine once a week.

i'll stop babbling

t

Agreed with Hunker. A good bicycle repair shop with a couple of employees is what I use for wc maintenance.

Most DME providers, imo, will rip you off in pricing and service costs.