Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheelchair maintenance

Wheelchair maintenance

I've had a Ti-sport folder for 4 yrs. and never done anything to it. I look at it now, and 1 caster isn't even sitting on the floor. (Froglegs) It pulls to the right BAD now. I have those gel-filled narrow tires. What should I do to this thing to make it well again? Also, what are you supposed to do to wire spokes for maintenance?

C5/6 incomplete, injured Aug. 2000

Betheny for starters make sure your tires are all equal tire pressure. As far as spokes, get a spoke wrench from a local bicycle store. Lubricration- I use Tri-Flo a silcon based lubricant. Oh yeah wheelchairs need regular maitenance too, don't leave it for 4 years.

you may already know this...but, if you take your wheels to a bike shop they can/will check and maintain the spokes. making sure they are all tight, not poking the tires, etc.

" The best way to predict the future is to invent it."
    - Alan Kay

You can get you a pretty good used chair on ebay for the right price! I totally agree about the tires.

Keep your eyes open. I bought a handy little basketball chair for about $140. I got new wheels for it for about another hundred, and I used it full time.

The other thing I've noticed....this is just my opinion, OK? Air filled tires aren't worth the hassel, or the worry of leaks or punctures. I can go anywhere...ANYWHERE...with a pair of glove on.

Do I do marathons in a hard rubber wheeled chair?...well not quite. But a 5K once in awhile.

God bless and good luck.

I have a TiLite ZRa, and every now and then I transfer to the floor or the couch and check every screw, nut and bolt on it. I started doing that after my right front caster kept coming lose.

I don't do it often enough, because once I found a screw missing. TiLite was kind enough to send me a replacement for free. I just did an inspection the other day and found some kind of spacer thing missing on the back. I hope I can get a replacement for that too. I'm thinking it was missing from the time I got it, because the only way it could have come off is if the nut and bolt holding the back was removed.

My chair is only 2 years old, it pulls to the left and I can't figure out why. The front casters are aligned, the rear wheels are both aired up. I can swap the back wheels around and it still pulls to the left.

I've been meaning to do like Amanda said and take it to a bicycle shop to have the spokes adjusted. Over time they can loosen or tighten and make the wheel out of round.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

I would have the wheels tuned at least once a year.

Brian C/5
    http://bspill1.home.comcast.net

Another thing the check is the wheel bearings, these do go bad and can be a source of pulling as well. Take the wheel off (meaning completely off the axle, and dont forget about the caster wheels also) and feel how they turn at the bearing race with the tip of your finger. If they feel kind of rough (not silky smooth), they are bad. Replacing them is pretty easy, just beat the old one out using a hammer and punch (it will probably get mangled), install the new one by gently tapping around the edges.

Spokes will poke the tires?! Hmmm, just talking to the kid about this stuff today. He is always plucking at them, wondered today at the difference in sound one to the other? He said some need tightening~
    anyhow, the "air-filled tires" he has been using for about two years are probably the only thing holding up with this chair and it's an all terrain type of lifestyle with this kid...
    Between going through two cushions and backrests already, the frame breaking and then the back rest frame part, and now the squeaking, again I have to go we are thinking it has got to be the bushings, so are going to replace them and see if it quiets down again.
    Hey, is there anywhere one can get some easy to follow instructions for chair maintenance, you know...one with pics? Good thing the kid's got his step dad here cause I have nooo idea, although I am sure kid would figure it out, but they sure are awkward to work on!

Originally posted by teesieme:

Spokes will poke the tires?! Hmmm, just talking to the kid about this stuff today. He is always plucking at them, wondered today at the difference in sound one to the other? He said some need tightening~
    anyhow, the "air-filled tires" he has been using for about two years are probably the only thing holding up with this chair and it's an all terrain type of lifestyle with this kid...
    Between going through two cushions and backrests already, the frame breaking and then the back rest frame part, and now the squeaking, again I have to go we are thinking it has got to be the bushings, so are going to replace them and see if it quiets down again.
    Hey, is there anywhere one can get some easy to follow instructions for chair maintenance, you know...one with pics? Good thing the kid's got his step dad here cause I have nooo idea, although I am sure kid would figure it out, but they sure are awkward to work on!
    No need for instructions or pictures, just get a screw driver, allen wrench etc. and check every screw, nut and bolt to make sure they aren't coming loose.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

Am I the only freak here who is taking off the four wheels and looking over the chair every week?

I am so afraid the chair will fall apart when I am going downhills

And it is always a lot of hair in the front wheels and the chair gets hard to wheel.

TH 12 incomplete 12-12-69.