Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Standing frames and blood pressure

Standing frames and blood pressure

I would like to know if anyone has problems with their blood pressure when they first stand in one. I am getting one very soon(I hope). I remember when I first sat up in the hospital bed after my car wreck, I almost passed out(bp right?). Should I expect the same thing to happen? I am a para/T12. Thanks, Tiff***

It is possible if you have not been either standing or using a tilt table. We usually start the person out with an abdominal binder, TED hose, and sometimes ACE wraps on their legs, then gradually discontinue as the person spends more time standing.

(KLD)

i always have problems. i usually take 5 mg. of Proamatine (bp med) around 30 min. prior to standing..

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Ok, thanks. I figured I would have a problem with that. It does go away after a while though, right? Thanks, Tiff***

My wife stood yesterday for the first time in a full year. 20 minutes. She wore thigh length TED hose & and an abdomenal binder. She felt fine. Monitored BP throughout; no tunnel vision, funny feelings, or other symptoms of hypoxia. It looks like it will be really good for her neck & shoulder muscles, too.
    - Richard
    Last edited by rfbdorf; 09-30-2006 at 10:38 AM.

I haven't stood in a year; just because my flat is too tiny to house a standing frame.

Anyway, I used to pass out when I stood. I had my bp measured while standing once, and it went down to something stupid like 60/48 before I keeled over.

The fainting did improve a bit, but I always felt a bit odd whenever I stood.

Michtif - I'm not sure, but I would think you have a lesser chance of bp problems with a fairly low injury like T12 (mine is T4).
    It's definitely a good idea to stand regularly if you can.
    Make sure at first you have people with you to help if you feel unwell, but as you have been up in a chair for a while, you might be ok.

Let us know how you get on!

Last year I stood for the first time in 9 years. It went ok, I just went up in stages.

After a few times, it was fine.
    _____oOo_____
    Phil C6
    "If you can't explain it to me in less than 10 seconds, it's probably not worth knowing anyway..." - Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by michtif
    Ok, thanks. I figured I would have a problem with that. It does go away after a while though, right? Thanks, Tiff***
    depends.. i normally have low bp, around 90/60, sometimes a lil' lower so it's typical for me to have issues w/o standing.. it's been almost 4 yrs. since my injury and still probs, but most ppl. even out close to normal over a shorter period of time. the standing frame is supposed to help, but it hasn't for me yet, but i still stand most days for all the other reasons..

same as AO, i go up in stages taking my time..

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Quote Originally Posted by 2jazzyjeff
    depends.. i normally have low bp, around 90/60, sometimes a lil' lower so it's typical for me to have issues w/o standing.. it's been almost 4 yrs. since my injury and still probs, but most ppl. even out close to normal over a shorter period of time. the standing frame is supposed to help, but it hasn't for me yet, but i still stand most days for all the other reasons..

same as AO, i go up in stages taking my time..

Jeff - is 90/60 very much different from 100/60?
    That's my usual bp, but my doctor said while 100/60 is a bit low, it's not too bad. I still feel light-headed getting up in my chair though, and especially afer eating.

My son (T-4 complete, a little over a year post injury) stood for the first time about a month a go. We started out slow, he stood first for measurements on the standing frame we built (from plans we found here!) and is standing about 30 minutes a day. No bp problems, a little dizzy at first, but all is going well now.

Unfortunately, my son's doctors don't see a benefit to standing and have been, to put it politely, less than supportive...