Thread: Dr Young - 11 months post injury

Dr Young - 11 months post injury

Isaac has been talking about having feeling in his butt bone. I am having a hard time telling what he is talking about being that he is five and not able to explain a whole lot. He said he can't feel you touch his bottom, but that he can feel his "butt bone" on the inside. Also said he could feel his "toe bone". When I bring his knees to his chest he said it hurts his stomach. These revelations have been in the last week and half. It is not consistant. The physical therapist told us that feelings can come and go when some sensation and/or function returns. Could this mean he is getting anal spinctal sp? feeling?

Kaye,

Can Isaac feel deep pressure applied to his bottom or his leg? If he can feel his poop coming out or if he can feel a finger gently inserted into his anus, that would be definitive evidence of anal sensory return. I think that this sounds promising. Incidentally, in my limited experience with people who have had spinal cord injuries when they are very yound (and I would appreciate it if people were to tell me otherwise or confirm this) neuropathic pain is unusual.

Wise.

YES I WAS 15, NO PAIN EVER 15 YEARS POST

Kaye

Not sure if this helpsup but it sounds like I've got the same sensation as Isaac. I'm 47 years old and had my injury in Oct 03. I have no feeling on my butt but when I sit on anything hard (like my shower chair) I can feel the pressure on the bone in my butt. I have no idea what this means.

Also, I am an L3 incomplete and do have feeling around my anus - I can feel the things that Dr. Young quesions (poop and when I'm touched there).

Mike

T12, Oct 2003

Thanks, fuente. Wise.

I have to say that I was injured at 5 and my 20 years of SCI have been pretty painful. Burning pain, pins and needles pain and radiating pain started almost from the time I was hurt. Not until I had my harrington rods removed earlier this year have I had any relief.